Powerplay 2.0 deep dive - Frontier Live 27th March

That depends. Basic pre-builts are 16k ARX. The premium variants at 33k come with ship-kits, paintjobs and preinstalled modules. I'd spend 16k ARX for an SCO optimised explorer just to mix up my options. I didn't plump for the full-fat Python Mk.II Stellar, as I didn't like the paint or ship kit, and like building my own ships, so it wasn't worth the excess to me. 16k for pretty much any ship will always be tempting to me though, I like trying new ship builds constantly.
So this is just the basis, the old player will buy a warship for 33K will improve it, and will pay a minimum fee if it is killed in PvP combat.
Why else would you need such a ship?

As for buying a ship for 16K it's nothing and it's only a matter of time, because then the same thing can be taken for credits in the game.

So this is just the basis, the old player will buy a warship for 33K will improve it, and will pay a minimum fee if it is killed in PvP combat.

As for buying a ship for 16K it's nothing and it's only a matter of time, because then the same thing can be taken for credits in the game.
Sometimes people do things just for fun, not for any objective reasoning. I know for some people that seems strange, but it's true!

I bought the Python Mk.II basic early because I wanted to have fun in it now, and it cost me the same as a pint of beer in some places. Not because it gives me a free rebuy, not because it's a combat ship and I want to PvP (I really don't). I bought it only because I wanted to play with something new and see what it can do, and have a giggle with my friends while we did it. It has put a smile on my face, and that's all it needed to do.

I will likely do the same with the Type-8 and so on. There's 39 ships currently in the game that cover everything in the game. There's very little objective need for more, yet players have been asking for more ships for years. That's not because we need them, we simply want them for variety and fun. I think you underestimate what some people are willing to spend on frivolities.

EDIT: Also, to bring the conversation back round to the topic at hand (apologies for somewhat derailing), if these ships are designed around the PP2 gameplay, that will likely include more than just combat. We've got a PvP/E combat vessel to do that aspect of Powerplay. I wouldn't be surprised to see other careers supported more in the new system, and the new ARX ships to go along with them.

Last edited:
Even if they add fighters to Python1 and make it optimal for SСO I don't think it will make people shell out 33k.

When Python Mk2 was released it wasn't much better than FDL and Mamba, and if they break the balance and bury Python1 then maybe this ship will be in demand.

Again following the example of the Clipper it could be a big ship with great speed and maneuverability...
Do we know the T-8 is early access like the P2?

Speaking of PowerPlay 2.0, there are still some unanswered questions that could be covered in future FU streams. The one that comes most immediately to mind is how the acquisition of the special modules will work. I like the idea that PowerPlayers will get access to all the modules regardless of their chosen Power, but that is purely speculation at this point, isn't it? Would be nice to get confirmation ahead of time.

Sometimes people do things just for fun, not for any objective reasoning. I know for some people that seems strange, but it's true!

I bought the Python Mk.II basic early because I wanted to have fun in it now, and it cost me the same as a pint of beer in some places. Not because it gives me a free rebuy, not because it's a combat ship and I want to PvP (I really don't). I bought it only because I wanted to play with something new and see what it can do, and have a giggle with my friends while we did it. It has put a smile on my face, and that's all it needed to do.

I will likely do the same with the Type-8 and so on. There's 39 ships currently in the game that cover everything in the game. There's very little objective need for more, yet players have been asking for more ships for years. That's not because we need them, we simply want them for variety and fun. I think you underestimate what some people are willing to spend on frivolities.

EDIT: Also, to bring the conversation back round to the topic at hand (apologies for somewhat derailing), if these ships are designed around the PP2 gameplay, that will likely include more than just combat. We've got a PvP/E combat vessel to do that aspect of Powerplay. I wouldn't be surprised to see other careers supported more in the new system, and the new ARX ships to go along with them.
But game moment aside I would immediately buy this ship to support the developers, eventually just for weapons storage (I am severely lacking in storage).
But in light of the features I can't buy ARXs for real money right now, even through stim. And if I spend my stock of ARXs (47k) I will not help the developers in any way.
That's why I don't buy Python Mk2.
When they release all 4 ships I will compare them all and maybe spend my accumulated ARXs on it, even if I have to wait a few years.

Speaking of PowerPlay 2.0, there are still some unanswered questions that could be covered in future FU streams. The one that comes most immediately to mind is how the acquisition of the special modules will work. I like the idea that PowerPlayers will get access to all the modules regardless of their chosen Power, but that is purely speculation at this point, isn't it? Would be nice to get confirmation ahead of time.
This has been the burning question for me as well. There's a few PP modules I'd like to get, but I'm reluctant to start pledging and doing minimum work to go shopping with the overhaul just around the corner.
But game moment aside I would immediately buy this ship to support the developers, eventually just for weapons storage (I am severely lacking in storage).
But in light of the features I can't buy ARXs for real money right now, even through stim. And if I spend my stock of ARXs (47k) I will not help the developers in any way.
That's why I don't buy Python Mk2.
When they release all 4 ships I will compare them all and maybe spend my accumulated ARXs on it, even if I have to wait a few years.
That's unfortunate that you're in that situation; I sincerely hope a solution is found soon for you. I agree, there was certainly an element of supporting Fdev that informed my decision to spend money on the Python Mk.II and wanting to continue doing so with future ships.

Sometimes people do things just for fun, not for any objective reasoning.
How dare you have fun playing, and not be in our squadron!
It has put a smile on my face, and that's all it needed to do.
In a nutshell, yes.
There's 39 ships currently in the game that cover everything in the game. There's very little objective need for more, yet players have been asking for more ships for years. That's not because we need them, we simply want them for variety and fun. I think you underestimate what some people are willing to spend on frivolities.
Individuals do as they wish, sometimes other individuals disagree with that, or see no reason to do so.
In a game, it is all about recreation, isn't it?

So we've already seen it with Python MK2, I don't think it will be any different.
The Python Mk2 looks just similar enough to the Python so the connection can be seen but otherwise is very different and looks good. As we don't even know which of the T ships the T8 will be based on all we can be sure of is it won't look like the Python Mk2 and is unlikely to be another pure combat build.

Of course it could look like a miniaturised T10 with fewer internals bigger fins for SCO stability the same hardpoints but closer together that will fit on a medium pad but I consider that unlikely.

I don't PvP (much) and bought the P2 Stellar. I bought it because I had most of the ARX needed, I wanted to try out the new ship and support Frontier, and I wanted the skin and ship kit. In no way was my decision made on the basis of the rebuy cost..

I've had lots of fun doing missions, and taking it out to CZs and HRs.

1. People who try Powerplay tend to do it for the modules and weapons. When they got those they quit PP. So how will PP 2 keep people interested?
  2. If Powerplay 2 is not open-only then the rewards should drastically increase for open play, because the risks are much higher.
  3. What does Powerplay 2 add / improve for on-foot, first person gameplay?
  4. Boarding a carrier in first-person should be added. They could re-use the FC interior assets and add a few NPCs.
  5. The menu designs have too much brown and orange. Please use different colors.
Based on the last 2 Frontier Unlocked videos about Powerplay, they neglect the on-foot gameplay stuff which would be a shame.

Based on the last 2 Frontier Unlocked videos about Powerplay, they neglect the on-foot gameplay stuff which would be a shame.
I don't know what clips you're talking about, I've mostly seen clips from the odyssey, wobbling around the spaceport on my feet.

1. People who try Powerplay tend to do it for the modules and weapons. When they got those they quit PP. So how will PP 2 keep people interested?
  2. If Powerplay 2 is not open-only then the rewards should drastically increase for open play, because the risks are much higher.
  3. What does Powerplay 2 add / improve for on-foot, first person gameplay?
  4. Boarding a carrier in first-person should be added. They could re-use the FC interior assets and add a few NPCs.
  5. The menu designs have too much brown and orange. Please use different colors.

1. No (module shoppers don't have any relevant impact on current powerplay = they are not powerplayers) so = modules & PP 2.0 work differently, there could be better engagement for module shoppers, but still we doubt that's going to be meaningful in the long run.
2. Hopefully, that will promote PvP (which is a relevant part of PP).
3. Nothing has been said / shown for legs.
4. Same as point 3 (no show).
5. Not relevant imho (I use also custom mods)

1. No (module shoppers don't have any relevant impact on current powerplay = they are not powerplayers) so = modules & PP 2.0 work differently, there could be better engagement for module shoppers, but still we doubt that's going to be meaningful in the long run.
5. Not relevant imho (I use also custom mods)

1. PP should be interesting without those special modules. If all powers offer the same modules then people will stop aligning with a power just to get the modules. How will they make PP interesting for months (or years) and so that more players will participate?
5. The fact that lots of people use mods to change the menu / HUD color shows that many dislike the orange. Changing the HUD color should be an in-game option.

Last edited:
1. PP should be interesting without those special modules. If all powers offer the same modules then people will stop aligning with a power just to get the modules. How will they make PP interesting for months (or years) and so that more players will participate?
5. The fact that lots of people use mods to change the menu / HUD color shows that many dislike the orange. Changing the HUD color should be an in-game option.
I'm not a Fallout expert, but is it possible to get brotherhood of steel armor without joining the brotherhood ?

I'm not a Fallout expert, but is it possible to get brotherhood of steel armor without joining the brotherhood ?

IIRC, “joining” the BoS is pretty much a “but thou must!” moment. You can’t advance the plot of the game without doing so, but you do get a suit of power armor from it. Of course, you will also “join” all the other factions as well, for similar reasons. You only have to actually pick a side to support late in the game.

Top Bottom