Patch Notes Update Powerplay Update 1.3.03 Incoming

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If anyone is stupid enough to fast-track to rank 5 by spending millions, they deserve what they get imo. Some better communication from FD would be welcome though.

If my save WAS wiped, at least i would have some incentive to play :)

Last edited:
FD really need to comment on the exact working of PP decay. There are lots of people under the belief that they can exploit PP by buying what they need every week to hit rank 5 (which they think would end up in massive profits after 4 or 5 weeks). Obviously you cant.
This is down to FD being as unclear as possible in the wording of the manual. A lot of people have posted about this and even started threads on it, unfortunately moderators keep closing them before any Dev has replied to them, basically hiding this info from the community and leading people down the wrong path, who are just going to come back with avengeance next week when they realise they are 100M+ worse off.
They also need to sort out this hidden overhead value nonsense for powers, how can we make proper decisions on where to expand too when we do not know how overheads(a value based on number of systems controlled by a power and separate from upkeep) affect our efforts, we could well be expanding our powers into systems that look like they are providing a lot of value, only for their hidden overhead cost to be astronomical and actually negatively affect our power. We have no way of seeing this and no way of combatting this effect (we cant chose to not expand somewhere if we have enough merits, unless we could contact every player in our power and co-ordinate our efforts).
SNAFU
Not too short

I'm still suffering from the "mostly harmless" issue. Everywhere I go, NPC pirates and military vessels in RES, Nav Points and CZ's are mostly harmless. Have all the higher ability pirates and military types gone on sabatical?
I admit, having given up on RES sites and Nav beacons, I've dropped the KWScanner and gone with an extra shield booster and multiple banks of shield cells. If I log in at a CZ and check out the ships (all mostly harmless) I log out, and back in again.
Eventually (anything from 1 to "I give up for now" number of tries, I can get one of the sides to have a good range of combat ranks - but note, only ONE of the sides. The other side is still all Mostly Harmless. At that point I join the mostly harmless side and go ahead and kill the others. It's the only way I've found at the moment to increase my combat rank, and it is working but when you're at Dangerous and trying to get to deadly it's quite a grind. I can't imagine how much more unpleasant this will be if its still the case whilst I'm grinding from Deadly to Elite.... Sure hope it gets fixed soon.

If you've got bugs post them in the relevant place and you'll serve everyone better....

FIVE days, FOUR updates. Multiple server downtime. Slow downloads.

Come on FD - this is beyond a joke. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE beta-test properly before the next major update.

Quit whining... The beta was run for two weeks... these may be issues that have occurred for other reasons... New bugs do crop up for bizarre reasons... And also, be nice, it gets a much better chance of a response from the Devs than being rude/derogatory about everything.

Quit whining... The beta was run for two weeks... these may be issues that have occurred for other reasons... New bugs do crop up for bizarre reasons... And also, be nice, it gets a much better chance of a response from the Devs than being rude/derogatory about everything.

To be fair, many of the bugs have reportedly occurred - and were thus ticketed - during the beta test phase.

EDIT: The phase after a major update must be a blast for all those whiners who always complain that Elite: Dangerous is not "dangerous" enough. I mean: Even the simple act of starting up your game puts your CMDR into harms way now! Sooo thrilling! :D

Last edited:
If you've got bugs post them in the relevant place and you'll serve everyone better....

All the bugs I'm suffering from are already reported, so this is just me discussing them and venting a little, but your advice is sound and if you find a bug that is not reported, DO REPORT IT.

the 1984 version was IMPOSSIBLE to dock without a joystick.

False. I first played the 1984 version of Elite on an Apple IIe with only a keyboard. No mouse, no stick. I had no problems flying, fighting or docking. It was possible, you just had to know how to play.

You can turn them off by disabling the grid in the galaxy map options.

Michael

Right on Commander! It always makes sense to disable a 'feature' no one asked for that offers up absolutely zero functionality, by turning off a feature it was tied to that actually is useful and functional. :p

Logic!

Fortunately for the rest of us, someone appears to have dialed them back a bit. They don't seem to be quite so aggressively in your face today. Now they fade in/out at a specific zoom distance, which lessens the impact of what can literally be thousands of extra dots on the screen.

False. I first played the 1984 version of Elite on an Apple IIe with only a keyboard. No mouse, no stick. I had no problems flying, fighting or docking. It was possible, you just had to know how to play.

Absolutely! I've played pretty much every Elite game on every system and E:D is the first one I've used a joystick with...

yeah right... <snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still suffering from the "mostly harmless" issue. Everywhere I go, NPC pirates and military vessels in RES, Nav Points and CZ's are mostly harmless. Have all the higher ability pirates and military types gone on sabatical?
I admit, having given up on RES sites and Nav beacons, I've dropped the KWScanner and gone with an extra shield booster and multiple banks of shield cells. If I log in at a CZ and check out the ships (all mostly harmless) I log out, and back in again.
Eventually (anything from 1 to "I give up for now" number of tries, I can get one of the sides to have a good range of combat ranks - but note, only ONE of the sides. The other side is still all Mostly Harmless. At that point I join the mostly harmless side and go ahead and kill the others. It's the only way I've found at the moment to increase my combat rank, and it is working but when you're at Dangerous and trying to get to deadly it's quite a grind. I can't imagine how much more unpleasant this will be if its still the case whilst I'm grinding from Deadly to Elite.... Sure hope it gets fixed soon.

Yep . Same experience here but I am trying to get from Deadly to Elite. Was 40% when 1.3 was release and didn't move a jot for a week until someone told me I could jig the instance to get decent targets. Now moved 3% in 3 days. I should be Elite by mid August if I don't get sick of logging off and logging back in a hundred times a day and throw the computer out the window. This bug was reported several times in the beta and many times since release and only just listed on the known issues list a couple of days ago.

Last edited:

Yup.... 'nuther one. Commodore 64. Took me about a year or so to get to 'Deadly.' Using just keys (on my lap, on the couch, connected to the TV). The key - since it was ALL 'FA-off' if memory serves - was to press/hold the "opposite" directional key [at the same time], to 'center' - or stop - your movement.

Last edited:

Same here. Played Elite on a Apple IIc keyboard only. I tried a Saitek X52 Pro with ED and I went back to Keyboard and mouse. To each their own.

Last edited:
I believe EAGLE 5 was referring to the condition where one would like to use the grid but the new markers make it very difficult to see through the clutter.

Before 1.3 these markers were much smaller, a much more muted reddish colour and did not contribute to the clutter nearly as much as they do presently. There were several observations about this brought up in the 1.3 Beta Bugs forum - some with excellent before/after pictures.

edit: here's the post I was thinking of: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=148324&p=2299192&viewfull=1#post2299192

This is exactly my gripe. The grid provides a much needed frame of reference, but the blue dots just seem like needless clutter. Why not simply add an option, just like "Enable grid", another check box "Enable blue dots" (replace with whatever FD actually call these dots).

Last edited:
This is exactly my gripe. The grid provides a much needed frame of reference, but the blue dots just seem like needless clutter. Why not simply add an option, just like "Enable grid", another check box "Enable blue dots" (replace with whatever FD actually call these dots).

Just to add my 2 credits worth to this, I agree. The grid, and more importantly the numbers on the grid, I find extremely useful if not vital when navigating back from the core. But the little blue discs which show the position (on the grid) of stars above or below it really need to be toned down somehow as currently they totally dominate the galaxy map. Could they perhaps be dimmed and/or reduced in size according to how far above or below the grid their star is?

Just to add my 2 credits worth to this, I agree. The grid, and more importantly the numbers on the grid, I find extremely useful if not vital when navigating back from the core. But the little blue discs which show the position (on the grid) of stars above or below it really need to be toned down somehow as currently they totally dominate the galaxy map. Could they perhaps be dimmed and/or reduced in size according to how far above or below the grid their star is?

Agreed, the map was more comfortable to use before 1.3.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom