Pre-Ordered Odyssey Alpha.. No Descent Graphics Card Available

Has anyone else ran into this problem, with Odyssey coming it’s impossible to find a new graphics card anywhere in the world right now, the only option is to wait outside stores every day at 3am until they open just for a chance to get your hands on the new shipment of stock that came in that day... just so when we play Odyssey it will actually be playable... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....

Has anyone else ran into this problem, with Odyssey coming it’s impossible to find a new graphics card anywhere in the world right now, the only option is to wait outside stores every day at 3am until they open just for a chance to get your hands on the new shipment of stock that came in that day... just so when we play Odyssey it will actually be playable... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....

Hmm, I have a laptop with a RTX 2070, they aren't that expensive these day and the laptop cards are identical with the desktop version. I can source a laptop locally with a RTX 3070 for just over $2500, so you can get a decent setup and plug it into your monitor for a lot less than a 5-6 thousand PC.

I think if it was me, I'd go on ebay and pick up something like a used RX580 to tide me over until the supply issues with GPUs improve.
Agreed. In all seriousness I've told friends who wanted to upgrade this year they might be better off just waiting a year for something to happen, or if they are really desperate to buy a prebuilt computer and cannibalize the best parts out of it, and sell the rest. You'll still probably have more money left over than if you'd bought something from a scalper.

Burned out?

random unknown problem probably because it was 10 years old

Does that also apply to the rest of the PC, and if it does I certainly would be putting top of the range vid card into its old carcass, it would slow it down unbearably! Maybe it is actually time to upgrade the old thing?

Does that also apply to the rest of the PC, and if it does I certainly would be putting top of the range vid card into its old carcass, it would slow it down unbearably! Maybe it is actually time to upgrade the old thing?
Yeah maybe but I’ll have to save up money for like a few more years to go toward a new pc fund

Had this problem years ago, when it was just Bitcoin miners grabbing up cards. I ended up getting a cheaper card, which was a disappointment, but has kept me going ever since. Now it's miners (again), Sony, Microsoft, and Covid. You're gonna have to wait a while if you're picky like I am.

... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....
If your "only other option" with pre-builts is 5-6k you are looking in the wrong places! Try a solid gaming builder like Origin or Xidax (nothing owned by Dell or HP) and you can get an awesome machine for half that, easily.

Never buy the latest or top of the line, but target the optimal price for performance. You'll save 60% or more in costs for only a 10% or 20% hit in overall performance. If there's any game today you can't max out, wait a year or two and buy a better card out of some of that 60% you saved, and you'll still be ahead. Unfortunately, this is exactly what the miners do, so you're even more in competition with them, but hopefully the builders have better supply access.

And that cheaper card that I settled for 5 years ago, installed into my 12 year old machine, is plenty for Elite.

Just bought every GTX 3080 available for my multi-million dollar (in power bill expenses) crypto mining farm, which earns me lots of money (5 bucks).
Bow before my intelligence peasants.

In all seriousness, the graphics card market is god-awful right now.
I know it’s ridiculous people are trying so hard just to make $5 a day

If you have ED on Steam and a decent low-latency internet connection, using GeForce Now as a temporary solution should be viable.

Lucky me has a 3090 for 1750 Euros from retail :)

Top Bottom