Pre-Ordered Odyssey Alpha.. No Descent Graphics Card Available

Also blame those darn Bitcoin miners, they buy up the high end cards to speed up their computations.

I know, my son has been mining for years.

The 1070 in my PC should be able to handle the update, so not worried.

Aye but that was because Apple was being a bit of a gentleman sausage and decided it wanted to go its own way and block other Cross platform API's namely the one that ED is built on, OpenGL.
you mean that frontier decided to support macs because they could go with opengl without knowing if apple would support every new feature added to opengl they chose to depend on in time?

yeah, right. supporting osx was just another of frontier's opportunistic moves that backfired. like vr, cough, "built from the ground up".

1st world problems.
...and the PC Master race wonder why they get such bad press. :LOL:

entitled much???

buy a last gen console for a fraction of that figure and you can happily play Elite until the Autumn, when Elite-feet is rolled out for you.
Xbox and PS consoles are also scalped to non-existence. At least the PCMR can get a system with an Intel IGP or something else that funnels graphics and use a cloud gaming service until the issue is solved.

Joke is on you, buddy.

Aye but that was because Apple was being a bit of a gentleman sausage and decided it wanted to go its own way and block other Cross platform API's namely the one that ED is built on, OpenGL.
True, but still, reasons like this may cause requirements to change. Merely want to remember that what is today may not be tomorrow and thus prevent disappointment for some readers here.

And what do we do when our graphics card that we already have burns?
and what has that to do with oddysey preorders (or descent for that matter ;) )?

your gpu burnt out, get a replacement adequate to your budget. which probably means forgetting the high end, because the market is totally arxed up atm. but you sure will find something for a reasonable price that runs oddysey at least as well as your 10 year old card did.

Xbox and PS consoles are also scalped to non-existence. At least the PCMR can get a system with an Intel IGP and use a cloud gaming service until the issue is solved.
Joke is on you, buddy.
I am a mere console peasant. We have been deferred until later in the year.

I was in no way being serious - if the OP wants to spend $6000 on a new PC in order to play DLC on Elite despite Frontier saying that minimum specs were unchanged they can.

When I said 'last-gen' console, I was talking about Xbox One, Xbox one S, Xbox one X, PS4 Slim, PS4 or PS4 Pro. As far as I know, they are not being scalped at the moment.

Much of the price rise is down to the mining boom and covid.

If looking like a basic card to tide you over till things improve in a few months to a year, then you need look at something with 4 gig of graphics ram as this is poor for miners but adequate to play most games at 1080p. Such cards wont therefore have a big markup.

Once you look for cards with 6 or more gig of ram then your more likely to spot a unicorn unless your prepared to pay silly prices for stuff that should be half the prices they are actually on offer for.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, with Odyssey coming it’s impossible to find a new graphics card anywhere in the world right now, the only option is to wait outside stores every day at 3am until they open just for a chance to get your hands on the new shipment of stock that came in that day... just so when we play Odyssey it will actually be playable... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....
What kind of card you have? I use an old NVidia970 GTX and Horizon works perfect, all ultra and perfect fps. Love to have a new card (for other games), but have to wait a year at least untill the prices are going to normal.

I've been driving my GPU's hard for as long as I can remember, overclocking too, and the only times I've ever had one die was because I did something blatantly stupid - except the one time lightning did it. That was my own fault, really, I had insufficient protection on the power end.

I've also deliberately killed a few over the years, it was always amazing how much abuse they would take when you wanted them to die.. Same OC while you are praying "Oh god, please don't die." would kill it.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, with Odyssey coming it’s impossible to find a new graphics card anywhere in the world right now, the only option is to wait outside stores every day at 3am until they open just for a chance to get your hands on the new shipment of stock that came in that day... just so when we play Odyssey it will actually be playable... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....
Well i got a new GPU, pricing was bad but not as bad as i expected.

you can also watch the online stores, sometimes they have stock, which is then sold out in a day or so.

i watched 3 stores for 6 weeks till i got a chance.... but it did happen. be patient.

(on a sidenote: elite forces us not only to grind ingame, but also outside. watch the stores.... wait for the RNG to drop a rare RTX... scoop it before the pirates drop in...)

Top Bottom