Pre-Ordered Odyssey Alpha.. No Descent Graphics Card Available

Yeah, that's pretty bad, and i don't see it to change anytime soon: unlike sony for ps5 (which it's sold in loss and needs active customers to get its gains), video card productors get the full gain of their sells regardless it's to customers, miners or scalpers

Yea the GPU is the only thing I need for my new gaming rig. I have a Reverb G2 collecting dust cuz my main system is only running a GTX980ti which is fine for the Rift S but not for that resource sucking headset. Funny thing is I upgraded to the 970 specifically for Fallout 4 and at that time GPU's were everywhere.
I have a 3070 on order but am keeping tabs on anything else that hits the market that would work too. The next gen processors will probably be out before GPUs are available again.

Last edited:
There's still plenty of mid-range cards around (stuff like RTX 2060 Super or RTX 2070 Super), which should be more than enough for Odyssey at ultra settings.

I run it on a lappy with a GTX 1650, in space i generally bounce off the 144hz refresh rate of the monitor. At stations and planets I'm almost always above the 60fps mark without any difficulties.

A desktop one (especially the "super" version) will perform better than that. I guess decent, depends on what you want to do with it.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, with Odyssey coming it’s impossible to find a new graphics card anywhere in the world right now, the only option is to wait outside stores every day at 3am until they open just for a chance to get your hands on the new shipment of stock that came in that day... just so when we play Odyssey it will actually be playable... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....
When it comes to graphics cards, it's because of this news :eek:

If you really need a new card, just buy a decent new card, because i don't expect the situation to change for a while.

There are plenty of decent cards in stock. Just the really high end stuff that is limited. At least where i am.

If you really need a new card, just buy a decent new card, because i don't expect the situation to change for a while.

There are plenty of decent cards in stock. Just the really high end stuff that is limited. At least where i am.
This is good advice. If your main focus is Elite, you dont need the newest card. My 1050ti isnt a problem with most settings on Ultra, AA on and SS on - it cost me 10% (or less) of the price of some of the newer cards

Let's remember the dropped support for Apple users when Horizons has been released.
I'm not Apple user myself but requirements may change with expansions after all. Just sayin'.

Aye but that was because Apple was being a bit of a gentleman sausage and decided it wanted to go its own way and block other Cross platform API's namely the one that ED is built on, OpenGL.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, with Odyssey coming it’s impossible to find a new graphics card anywhere in the world right now, the only option is to wait outside stores every day at 3am until they open just for a chance to get your hands on the new shipment of stock that came in that day... just so when we play Odyssey it will actually be playable... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....
Buy a console. I'm sure you could pick up a cheap PS4 or Xbox one.

Top Bottom