Pre-Ordered Odyssey Alpha.. No Descent Graphics Card Available

Why not just play using the mid or low range option for your graphics card. I have always used mid-range settings for any game that is less than 10 years old and I have never lost a graphics card. People seem to forget the more stress they put on their graphics card the higher temperatures it will produce and the sooner it will fail. The same with my PC I never overclock it and just use stock air coolers with it.

BTW my graphics card is a 1080 and my GPU is an intel i7 770.

Last edited:
Just upgraded my Processor from an anaemic i5 3330 to a Ryzen 3600 (CPU was definitely bottlenecking, especially with VR), and still using my GTX 980. At 1080p, everything is maxed out, and hitting around 160-200FPS (up from 100-120FPS with the i5 3330). VR on a Vive requires a few settings turned down, to never dip below 45FPS. I'm pretty sure it should cope well enough with Odyssey, so no need to get a NVidia 30 series, or AMD 6000 series card for Elite.

Prior to the GTX 980, I was playing at mostly Ultra settings on a GTX 660 at 30-60FPS on average.

Last edited:
I've got a watercooled 980Ti that I'll be putting up for sale soon. :)

There are graphics cards around. Just need to keep an eye out. And have the cash, of course.

The last graphics card I bought in a store was an AGP 8x for my EE Pentium 4 Windows XP PC like 15+ years ago.
It had SATA and IDE/Floppy headers. Ah, I really miss floppies. 😞

Has anyone else ran into this problem, with Odyssey coming it’s impossible to find a new graphics card anywhere in the world right now, the only option is to wait outside stores every day at 3am until they open just for a chance to get your hands on the new shipment of stock that came in that day... just so when we play Odyssey it will actually be playable... the only other option is to buy a 5-6 thousand dollar prebuilt PC....
Don't know where you live, but I managed to get a nice upper-end card on Newegg.com. It was expensive though. The mid- and low-range cards are very hard to find. I saw some on Ebay. There were some nice 2080 cards in Germany, which I couldn't bid on because I'm in US.

Good news! Your current computer hardware, if it can run the base game, can run Odyssey!!
Hush now!

We've been told that by the CMs / Devs a couple of times in the recent past, but they obviously don't know what they are talking about otherwise people here wouldn't be looking for new hardware to run Odyssey 😱

It is only the alpha that is going to stress things a little from reading about it! ;)

Just upgraded my Processor from an anaemic i5 3330 to a Ryzen 3600 (CPU was definitely bottlenecking, especially with VR), and still using my GTX 980. At 1080p, everything is maxed out, and hitting around 160-200FPS (up from 100-120FPS with the i5 3330). VR on a Vive requires a few settings turned down, to never dip below 45FPS. I'm pretty sure it should cope well enough with Odyssey, so no need to get a NVidia 30 series, or AMD 6000 series card for Elite.

Prior to the GTX 980, I was playing at mostly Ultra settings on a GTX 660 at 30-60FPS on average.
45? That kind of framerate in VR is migraine fuel.

I've got a watercooled 980Ti that I'll be putting up for sale soon. :)

There are graphics cards around. Just need to keep an eye out. And have the cash, of course.
The last graphics card I bought in a store was an AGP 8x for my EE Pentium 4 Windows XP PC like 15+ years ago.
It had SATA and IDE/Floppy headers. Ah, I really miss floppies. 😞
Actually bought in a store? I think the only time I did that was a Diamond Stealth II 4mb card that I bought at Best Buy. I couldn't afford the Viper 8mb at the time.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm old.

Last edited:
Top Bottom