PSA: Operation La Forge - Finishing the Colonia Engineers

Everybody can party, the longest running CG is over.🥳

A little bit of numbers from my side. I went 3 times to the bubble to fill up on engineering mats and did mainly G1 rolls to get the most out of them. The majority of G2 rolls were added after the last fill up in the bubble.

My alt started Operation La Forge with close to 8k of rolls.
La Forge start.png

and now at the end
La Forge the end.png

Some rolls were to fix my ships PD as I had a few times a engine focused one and everybody knows that this is a big no-no.
It's still nothing compared to Yianni's numbers as he has not only many more rolls but way more G3 and G4 rolls and these are mat eaters.

@FDev could we put a beacon close to one of the engineers bases to commemorate this achievement, please.

This has been a really long piece of collaboration between literally thousands of pilots. The only thing on a comparable scale in the game has been Operation IDA's original repair run - likewise, a big effort with lots of small contributions and a few dedicated pilots making very big contributions indeed. Hopefully we'll see more of this scale of project in future, too.
engineers.png

We started out with a bunch of G1 engineers and no idea at all how much effort was required to upgrade them or how any of it worked. Even that was a big benefit to Colonia, of course, because it let us apply all our experimentals to pinned blueprints without a 44kLY round trip. And then, over the next 868 days, various groups and individuals contributed to the region's success.

engineers-annotated.png

Our early research at the Census mainly focused on engines, because we thought it was a useful first blueprint, the G1 materials were easy to get, and that gave that a bit of a head start [1]. Once we'd got going and figured out the basics of how upgrading worked, the next obvious question was whether we could get an exclusive - Brandon had got G5 drives so we knew they could go high in general, and SCBs were the blueprint with the lowest requirement for an exclusive - so a few of us pushed that one quite hard to G4 in the first few months of 2019 ... and the rush from everyone else to get the new exclusive module meant it was the fastest G4-G5 trip of any module!

Phisto Sobanii started Operation Montgomery Scott in mid-2019, and that pushed a good number of lagging blueprints up to the G3 level where you get a good price/performance trade-off, and that helped a lot of those modules get more passing attention from other players and accelerated their progress further.

In late 2019, noticing that the remaining blueprints stuck at G1 were progressing much slower, and that previously blueprints had tended to accelerate when they got to G2, I started quietly pushing them upwards in Project Tortoise ... which sped up massively once Yianni started his own "Project Hare" at the end of the year, which also saw the final blueprints for Mel Brandon finished off, and our first complete research programme.

Then, in the last couple of months there's been this final push as covered in this thread to get things finished off ... before Odyssey adds more blueprints to research?

Many thanks to everyone who's been part of this over the last few years - you've all played a part in establishing Colonia as one of the galaxy's premier technology and research centres, breaking the grasp of the superpowers and Sirius Corp on some key technologies, and demonstrating that there is no challenge that the nebula will not face up to.

[1] Frontier changed how it worked slightly in late 2018, which is why the early part of the graph doesn't have much detail.

I have no idea how I missed this forum thread but congratulations to all concerned on the successful completion of an epic task!

I actually recently arrived in Colonia myself for the first time and took some advice on which engineer recipes to use in order to get grade 5 access with each of them so hopefully I contributed in some tiny way to this.

I did have a question spurred on by something said on the Buur Pit's Witchspace News about this. Are there now some enigneering recipes/grades which are unique to the Colonia region (i.e. things I should consider pinning before I head back to the bubble). I know that the Grade 5 lightweight life support is one. Any others?

Last edited:
I did have a question spurred on by something said on the Buur Pit's Witchspace News about this. Are there now some enigneering recipes/grades which are unique to the Colonia region (i.e. things I should consider pinning before I head back to the bubble). I know that the Grade 5 lightweight life support is one. Any others?
There are six unique grades not currently offered by any bubble engineer.

G5 Life Support (Dorn)
G5 Interdictor (Brandon)
G4 Shield Cell Bank (Brandon) [1]
G5 AFMU (Olmanova)
G5 Refinery (Hicks)
G5 Fuel Scoop (Hicks)

Olmanova also has a bunch of blueprint clusters - Armour/HRPs and Chaff/Heatsink/PointDefence/ECM - which are only offered by a single bubble engineer each (Jean and Tah respectively) so those might be more useful pins in some ways.

[1] Brandon has G5 research capability in SCBs, but the blueprints don't exist (yet?)

There are six unique grades not currently offered by any bubble engineer.

G5 Life Support (Dorn)
G5 Interdictor (Brandon)
G4 Shield Cell Bank (Brandon) [1]
G5 AFMU (Olmanova)
G5 Refinery (Hicks)
G5 Fuel Scoop (Hicks)

Olmanova also has a bunch of blueprint clusters - Armour/HRPs and Chaff/Heatsink/PointDefence/ECM - which are only offered by a single bubble engineer each (Jean and Tah respectively) so those might be more useful pins in some ways.

[1] Brandon has G5 research capability in SCBs, but the blueprints don't exist (yet?)
Awesome, thanks for that! (added to my Colonia todo list)

At last... it's completed.

My friends, we did it. Another chapter in Colonia's history has been completed. All engineers can now produce blueprints to the maximum of their abilities.
@Phisto Sobanii Thank you for the opportunity and the vision you shared with me and the rest of the participating commanders with your Operation Montgomery Scott thread.

For me personally, a 1.5 year campaign has come to it's end. I can't get rid of the smile on my face.

Thanks, @Paul Smith the 3rd and the other commanders for your help. We can now all benefit from the fruit of our labor.

o7

Logged in to the forum tonight for the first time in a while. Really proud of you, Yianniv. Congratulations to everyone that contributed to this.

(Life is good, by the way. Just been busy and doing other things. Fly dangerous, friends.)

kill everyone

Top Bottom