Python Mk II & Updates To The Gamestore

• Python MK II +
  • Pre-build ships (good idea) +
  • Powerplay rework +
  • Engineering mat gather balancing +
  • Python MK II locked behind ARX paywall for non-Odyssey players (please allow them to play the game as anyone else, make it available for credits) ---

Another scenario where us Lifetime expansion pass holders could get a leg up but don't, why can't these account types get access to the Python Mk II in may? Come on FDev, show so love to those that did the same at the games outset!!

Poor show FDev, as for paid for fully equipped ships...I assume the arx required will be outside the boundaries of sensible play earnt based levels...and therefore be another money grab

Last edited:
I personally don't care about the P2Skip aspect of the pre-built ships, I can fully engineer a ship in no time and with the fleet carrier I am never more than a few jumps away from a station to go buy the parts needed. What I am more concerned with is this, they could have added the pre-built ships to the game as part of Odyssey. You jump to station, disembark walk to the Ship Vendor and use the holographic display to choose the pre-built as part of what that station offers. So if your in Fed space they offer Fed pre-built ships and likewise for Empire and Alliance all with in game credits. You can still have dedicated ship kits and paint jobs on the game store for these pre-builts to be bought with ARX.

But when companies choose to not include a feature to a game that everyone could benefit from but rather put it behind a paywall that is concerning, as it allows for future DLC to have features held back to make in to ARX store only options.

I am not one to hop in and comment very often and I haven't logged in for a while, but I have been really excited for the upcoming updates and new ships. I am really torn about the early release of the new ship using ARX for 3 months for $10 (yes I used US$ can't be bothered to look up the ASCII code for Pounds) it seems excessive. I hope you reconsider as a few others have remarked, consider the good will that you have built up and do not squander it. If you are trying to soft launch the ship because you are not sure about balancing, then do a beta fork (I am sure this is significant work) or just remind folks that there will be ongoing balancing and do what needs to be done to get the desired result. If you are going to paywall an early release, the wall should be significantly lower ~1000 ARX and the delay should be weeks or days but in my opinion should not exist at all. Over monetization will not help the game, it will create ill will and drive players, like myself, who remain interested but hesitant to return.

Note that I have spent over $200 on ARX for cosmetics in my 2500 hours of the game and don't regret those expenses, but my first reaction to the thought of $10 for early access to a ship was mild excitement and positivity, but this does feel more like a cash grab. Please do not become CIG or EA or any of those other companies. You have loyal pilots out there that will be by your side if you treat us right, but this isn't the way. It isn't too late to change your mind.
Your post echoes my thoughts almost to the letter - except my initial reaction was one of mild disgust.
While a P2W scenario might not be an immediate threat, such a steep paywall for a non-cosmetic feels like a bad sign of things to come.
The feeling of good will eroding is palpable. I really hope FDev reconsiders, at least some aspects of this sudden and divisive decision.

If they need arx bought make stuff people want to buy ? Paintjobs good ones , ship kits good ones , decals good ones.
Make stuff folk want to pay money for not some of the stuff we have been given.
Even on Legacy we don't have access to all the paintjobs that were around before the split .
I would be happy to pay for paintjobs that I liked . Unfortunately I would also pay money for the python MK2 but that's because I want it. It looks so different to the generic ships of elite of old .
Not sold on the pre made ships but to be truthful making money is so easy nowadays that there shouldn't be a need or call for that .

Genuine question here. Did LEP holders get free access to the Odyssey alpha testing?
Yes.

The original Kickstarter LEP, because of the "all lower rewards" rule, got access to the Beta (but not Alpha or Premium Beta) of the original game, and that then got carried through (and copied to later LEP sales) to also give pre-release testing access to Horizons and Odyssey.

They can only make more quality expansions if ED generates enough interest and revenue
Same, but it's apparent that they need more revenue from ED in the short term.
That is kind of chicken-and-egg problem. To make content you need interest and revenue; but to generate interest and revenue you need content🙂 That's why I think regular story-based miniexpansions as I described in my previous comment would be the best way to finance the game—but of course I'm no financial or market expert.
What does it mean it will be "more predicable"? It already is, that's precisely what the last update to this game loop focused on.
I hope that it means gettin rid of rolls and implementing the suit upgrade model of fixed number of materials for every grade. Gets rid of the problem of needing 5 grade 5 rolls for the last 1% of improvement. Grades are good—sometimes grade 1 low emissions power plant is all you want—but random number of rolls to finish a grade is not good design.
Same goes for material gathering. We now get 3 mats for 1 collected. We can exchange all standard materials at the traders.
I hope that it means all the materials are available as mission rewards and adjusting the crosstrade rate for material trading to something more sane, like 2:1 or 3:1.
But I've seen "many of us" asking for more varied clothing (not armours), more shipkits, more fleet carrier customisation items. These are the 3 type of items that I've seen being asked for the most. None of them seem to be considered for adding to the store.
So much this! I would love more greebles and clutter for my carrier to make it look lived in and have a trophy room so all the visitors can gawk at my achievements (Thargoid taxidermy, Guardian trinkets, superpower/powerplay/prominent faction themed banners and flags, CG trophies, ship models, plants and bobbleheads in the ready room etc)!

I can easily afford the ARX required, but I won't support this move. Give me a new ship kit, a paintjob I like, and I'll buy. A ship, even if it comes with paintjob and shipkit ? No.
So let me get this right...

You'd happily buy a ship kit and paint job. But if they come with a ship you're not interested?

Well, ok... I don't see how FD could possibly win that weird conundrum.

You'd happily buy a ship kit and paint job. But if they come with a ship you're not interested?
Interested yes, supporting, no. Not a ship that is not available any other way, even if it is just for 3 months. I'm ok with the preconfigured ship packages. You can buy and build the very same ships ingame.

• Python MK II locked behind ARX paywall for non-Odyssey players (please allow them to play the game as anyone else, make it available for credits) ---

There were exclusive ships for Horizons expansion owners such as the Dolphin, Beluga, Krait, Type-10. Also Horizons-only modules and engineers. These were added to the base game.

That is kind of chicken-and-egg problem. To make content you need interest and revenue; but to generate interest and revenue you need content🙂 That's why I think regular story-based miniexpansions as I described in my previous comment would be the best way to finance the game—but of course I'm no financial or market expert.

Story-based DLC sounds good.

ED is buy-to-play (B2P) so there is no revenue from monthly subscriptions. I guess the majority of ED players only bought ED and Odyssey (at a discount) and then never spent any ARX while playing for months or years. Low microtransactions would be insufficient for additional big expansions.

Last edited:
3 months before the MkII is released...really??!! So going with the current timeline or what has been told to us in the past, there are 4 (at least 4) new ships that are to be released this year. If they are going to put these in to the game, it appears they will all be in the last quarter of the year but for some reason, I don't see it happening. I don't know why I keep getting my hopes up with this game. Every time something cool is supposed to happen, there is a delay of some sorts. Now with the new ships...pay now or wait a quarter of a year. Been waiting for over 5 years for a new ship...I think that is enough and damn it...when are the exploration players going to get some love? Not everyone is into the pew-pew...

Again, as I had noted, but in a more content way: If it doesn't give stuff you can't get in a reasonable amount of time, I have no qualms with FDEV giving a leg-up to new players (Aside from FSDs, engineering should ideally stop at G2). It can be a rather cool concept if you give the player a few arx short of the ships as a starting amount (So they can get a head-start). It's however dangerous if you ever CHANGE the stuff on said ships for the worse later as in that case you unfortunately end up in potential legal trouble over the digital goods being changed.

HOWEVER, my big contention is with the early access to the Python Mk2. A couple friends and I had sort of figured out that if it indeed goes with a ship kit and a paintjob you like, it's paying 3k extra for the early access. However, it's the length of said early access which has ticked presumably everyone off. I understand FDEV is probably in dire straits thanks to the (at this point) constantly reported mis-management by news sources. If they had come forward to explain it and reducing the waiting period to a month while upholding the LEP commitment? That'd be something most people can stomach.

In my opinion, it's vital we make our displeasure known on-stream today since it's the last big outlet we have before FDEV can pull the move. And it's going to be a good indication of if the upper brass responsible for Elite are from the games industry, or corporate sacks who will run things to the ground like many of the corporate types at big studios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom