Python Mk II & Updates To The Gamestore

I think it's on record from Frontier that more commanders play in open than in solo or group.

Even if this is true, how much of that is thanks to the "Open" button being the up-front-and-accessible for button CMDRs wanting to play with other random players? There is no official PvE mode. Private groups take time to set up or find and join. I'm skeptic of this claim to begin with, but it's not a fair statistic anyway without an official PvE mode.

Even if this is true, how much of that is thanks to the "Open" button being the up-front-and-accessible for button CMDRs wanting to play with other random players? There is no official PvE mode. Private groups take time to set up or find and join. I'm skeptic of this claim to begin with, but it's not a fair statistic anyway without an official PvE mode.
Mobius PG is still a thing and is probably the biggest and oldest PVE groups . And due to its numbers there are multiple private groups.
I think as open is the first button on the load screen many are in open .
Private groups are generally used to make sure you can instance with friends for goofing around and solo is for those who have had enough of society for the day .
I'm not sure of numbers but would assume it's very close in numbers for each.

Hi :)

I've noticed that (over the years) when I boot up the game if I go straight into the menu once it's loaded and I select continue the game seems to go straight into Open mode if I don't let the program run for a few seconds, (And then select Solo).
As I usually play in Solo this can be 'interesting' when I'm in the Bubble. If it does this when I'm already out in the black I usually don't bother changing it back to Solo. If I meet any Cmdr's out there exploring it might be more interesting...but 99.99% of the time I don't.
This might skew the readings overall I would imagine. Anybody else experience this?...about the program jumping into Open as described?

Edit.. to keep on topic. Anybody have any more thoughts (Again) as to what that domed structure is all about abaft the ships cockpit?
Jack :)

Last edited:

Sandro - they're the cool kids

Pay for a better game? Why not! 🙏

Pay for a better game? Why not! 🙏

LEP here. During last almost 10 years I have not yet used my ARX but for couple different paint jobs on my different ships (Midnight black and Finnish flag), and for skins of fleet carriers. And I never wanted to grind engineering materials after all that grind for huge amount of credits and ranks/permissions for ships/System, when engineering came out. So I like this.

Seems that my main account still has 8800 ARX, so I only need to buy that 8000 ARX for about 5€, so I welcome this change. But I buy Py2 only if it can handle 60+ Ly jump with same amount of passengers at Robigo Mines-Sothis route, and even more in explorer fitting, otherwise it seems I have no use for it compared to other ships.

So no P2W for me here.

Early access would be also ok to me for all other new (and pre-engineered older) ships (especially if we don't get more New ships otherways), especially as I still don't wanna farm all those materials needed for engineering, and have also option to just wait a bit to buy it with ingame credits.

Just can't but wonder why FDEV didn't allow even earlier players owned FC shipyards to sell engineered modules/ships for ARX, that would pay FC owners plenty as ingame credits.

It will make Open like World of Tanks is, where a new player will come in and be able to buy a fully engineered, OP ship and seal club the hell out of just about anybody, especially other newcomers that can't afford to do that or people that have been playing a while and haven't made it that far yet.

It's blatant pay to win mechanics. Once people figure that out, they'll never set foot in open again. It's bad enough as it is, which is why you have Open players on here crying every single day about forcing people to play in Open because they have nobody to seal club, but this effectively destroys it forever once word gets out.
As a former WoT player, I'll just say this: THEORETICALLY somebody who has ZIP idea of the game can TRY to buy a premium tank and seal club newbs. THEORETICALLY. Practically, the tier system and the fact that random IS random makes it . . . difficult.

Let alone the fact that lots of accomplished players like to hang around in the lower tiers, to polish their stats. So, any newbs in shiny premium tanks get curb-stomped, for several reasons: a) newbs don't know the mechanics, particularly sight mechanics (crucial!), b) they don't know the maps well enough, c) they have, usually, crews who barely know not to take a dumper inside their tanks, and, therefore, aren't worth much.

ED has a steep learning curve. Just buying your way in WILL end in disaster against anybody who's been flying for a bit, either by being hopelessly left in the lurch, or by getting stomped.

Dear team, get rid of these ideas of selling builds that are simply mediocre and lazy, it doesn't look good. Think about other monetization methods, such as selling premium engineering materials (I'm tempted to buy them myself) in addition to existing methods of obtaining them. Selling ships for money simply has bad associations with games whose titles I won't mention. In turn, lowering the engineering bar is a good direction. I myself hope that the new PP will be really encouraging and it will not be just a cosmetic appearance of the station. I have similar expectations as a veteran of the BGS game, which could be more profitable and encourage the participation of a wider group of players, not only expanding the name of own faction, but also some benefits from membership and bonuses for work done, such as dividends or achievements. I'm looking forward to new ships, because ships and flying are what I love in this game.

I think it's on record from Frontier that more commanders play in open than in solo or group.

I think I remember them saying that but I have to say I don’t remember how many years ago that was, maybe about the time they were talking about bringing in squadrons.

I wonder if it is still true.

It was back then in 2018 - and maybe it was true back then - maybe not in a way we think it was. I mean, a distribution of 40-30-30 for players in Open, PG and Solo can easily mean that most players are in open - compared with any other mode, but that doesnt mean that Solo+PG does not outnumber Open

Also, a much more recent statistic, iirc frrom Inara, did show that out of all the players with inara accounts, less than 10% get involved in any sort of PVP interactions
So... there is that too

It was back then in 2018 - and maybe it was true back then - maybe not in a way we think it was. I mean, a distribution of 40-30-30 for players in Open, PG and Solo can easily mean that most players are in open - compared with any other mode, but that doesnt mean that Solo+PG does not outnumber Open

Also, a much more recent statistic, iirc frrom Inara, did show that out of all the players with inara accounts, less than 10% get involved in any sort of PVP interactions
So... there is that too
They actually said that more people play in Open "by a significant margin", and that more people play in Open "than the other modes". They also stressed that Solo/PG was not an insignificant proportion, so if it were anything close to 40-30-30 I think they could have gotten that point across much more easily by just saying "they're very roughly equal". I'd guess from how they talk about it that it was more like 70-80% Open.

They actually said that more people play in Open "by a significant margin", and that more people play in Open "than the other modes"

Yea, but... words... and the way FDev say things...

For the first part, 40 is bigger than 30 by 33% - quite significant
For the second part - in the 40-30-30 split, more are in open than (any) other mode 😇

Yea, but... words... and the way FDev say things...

For the first part, 40 is bigger than 30 by 33% - quite significant
For the second part - in the 40-30-30 split, more are in open than (any) other mode 😇
Yes, and my point was entirely about the way they say things. Short of any particular incentive to be misleading, I think it's more likely they were using language like a human, with context, than relying on an exact strict interpretation of their words to cover themselves. It's not out of the question, but can you point to anything they say that actually points to it being more like 40-30-30, rather than "well it's not impossible for it to be"? It's also not out of the question that when someone repeatedly jumps in to confirm Open is bigger by "a lot", that they consider "a lot" to be more than 10% of players?

I have asked via the Forums by tagging Paul, as I know of no other way, for Fdev to poll active Cmdr's in game. What do we as active Cmdr's want? A poll by Burr on YT or here in the forums, where inactive Cmdr's, comment actively for years since their last login, is not a trustworthy place to do a poll.

So here is to hoping FDev actually ask and listen to the majority of players.
A poll in game would do it. A CG in game would do it. Some options:
  • Deliver imp slaves for real Pay 2 Win mechanics, not this Pay 2 Meh and skip unlocks with engineering (which I do not want)
  • Deliver gold for Solo only PP 2.0
  • Deliver bio-waste for Open only PP 2.0, etc.
(Can anyone guess which side I am on?)

All made up options and what items to deliver, but in game to me is a must. Each Cmdr in game should have 1 and only 1 vote on how to handle Pay 2 Something, and PP 2.0, and how to best fund ED if not Pay 2 Win, Pay 2 Skip, Pay 2 Meh, Pay 2 Save Time, Pay 2 Unlock, etc.

Of Course this could turn into go buy Cmdr's on sale and stack the odds in your camp's viewpoint by buying extra votes. Fdev will enjoy the $$$ either way. And as I have previously said and others, any $$$ Fdev gets may or may not ever be used to maintain or enhance Elite.

Yes, and my point was entirely about the way they say things. Short of any particular incentive to be misleading, I think it's more likely they were using language like a human, with context, than relying on an exact strict interpretation of their words to cover themselves. It's not out of the question, but can you point to anything they say that actually points to it being more like 40-30-30, rather than "well it's not impossible for it to be"? It's also not out of the question that when someone repeatedly jumps in to confirm Open is bigger by "a lot", that they consider "a lot" to be more than 10% of players?
My general impression from comparing station traffic reports with CMDRs actually seen in-game - at least until the Odyssey/Horizons instancing split made such impressions worthless! - was that Open on PC was always well over 50% and quite possibly over 2/3.

This, of course, was in systems not renowned for being extremely hostile from a PvP perspective. ">50% of players are in Open" and ">50% of players doing CGs/visiting engineers/in systems with another player are in Open" are very different statements. ... and of course nowadays the Odyssey/Horizons instancing split does make "is in Open" and "can be instanced with" even less equivalent.

Dear team, get rid of these ideas of selling builds that are simply mediocre and lazy, it doesn't look good.
So you still believe that there are no special errors in the assemblies? This point is important to me. The fact that the assembly is not completely done and needs to be polished is not very important to me. The main thing is that they are not intentionally designed incorrectly.
I do not believe that among the developers there is not at least one person who knows all the mechanics of ships and modules and is able to put together a proper assembly.

The main thing is that they are not intentionally designed incorrectly.
The issue in that statement is that "correct design" is a matter of interpretation, top tier players will sneer at them, that is already happening with the AX pre-built, and average players may not need that build.
The onus is on the purchaser to decide if the build is "correct enough" to buy.

The issue in that statement is that "correct design" is a matter of interpretation, top tier players will sneer at them, that is already happening with the AX pre-built, and average players may not need that build.
And to get them thinking "maybe if I change this, do that" .... it will lead them down a dark path into the woods ....

Thinking is always good.

Steve

The main thing is that they are not intentionally designed incorrectly.

I dont think one can design a ship that's perfect for ANY AX activity and still be friendly to new players (no reliance to only fixed weapons and the likes)
For example, the titan bomber build is different from the interceptor build.

They're doing a jack-of-all-ax-trades and this means compromises, however the AX chief will work in most AX scenarios (scouts, titan, cyclops)

However, unless FDev changes things around, by the end of the year (earlier actually) titans will be no more - so titan bombers will be a thing of the past - so.. waaaay to many emphasis on the fact that the AX Chief is not the perfect titan bomber (it has AX MC instead of AX missiles - how dare they?!?!)

Top Bottom