Python Mk II & Updates To The Gamestore

Python Mk2 ARX access is not necessarily Pay-to-Win (although you might say the Pandora's Box has been opened...), but it is paying real money for exclusivity, which creates ill will and is yet another move that will fragment the community.

You can already see it on here. "I'm going to buy it, and I don't care what anyone thinks." "If you don't like it, don't buy it." ... This is not helpful or constructive; it's just arrogance. If you're in a position where you can pay real money for early/exclusive access to new ships (which have until now been available to all players day 1 for in-game money), then you're in a privileged position and it's not really your place to tell other people how to think or feel about the situation. FDev needs to hear from those who are upset, because if nobody raises concerns (and it is a concerning situation), then they'll continue to get away with making such bold changes with abandon (ARX value decrease, etc.).

Python Mk2 ARX access is not necessarily Pay-to-Win (although you might say the Pandora's Box has been opened...), but it is paying real money for exclusivity, which creates ill will and is yet another move that will fragment the community.
I agree.

I have 45k arx accumulations in game, watched many videos about Python Mk2 carefully yesterday. It looks like a Pay 2 Have (P2H). I didn't buy the Python.

I suggest ALWAYS selling it for ARKs only.

It only takes 10 months (400 a week) to get this ship. Plus all sorts of bonuses for new year etc.

P.S. I heard that the Thargoid War may end, what to do with this Python after that ?

It only takes 10 months (400 a week) to get this ship. Plus all sorts of bonuses for new year etc.
Why are so many players so keen on telling people "do not spend money on this game!"? Even people who have spent like 10 thousand hours on the game and play it actively are recommending against spending any money on the game.

Why?

The exact same people will spend a hundred times more money on games they play only a small fraction as much. They seem to have no problems in spending 70 bucks on a game they will play for maybe 5 to 10 hours, while going their way to not spend 12 bucks on the game they have been playing for thousands of hours. And why? I honestly have absolutely no idea.

Reminds me of people (and I know some personally) who will happily spend thousands and thousands of dollars in expensive gaming hardware, but won't buy a 50-bucks game because it's "too expensive" and will wait for literally years for a sale.

I got the normal mk2, replace the parts, engineered and outfitted it for combat... result LOVE IT. The ship is as fast as a FDL, agile as a chieftain, 2100 shields with PD, 35k LY engineered, great heat management. and the look is worth it. sweet lines and curves. spent $13 dollars on arx (about 1 meal worth) and consider that a win win. There was no pay to win on this, there was a pay to get this now instead of in august. To Devs: excellent work on the ship, keep them coming!

I got the normal mk2, replace the parts, engineered and outfitted it for combat... result LOVE IT. The ship is as fast as a FDL, agile as a chieftain, 2100 shields with PD, 35k LY engineered, great heat management. and the look is worth it. sweet lines and curves. spent $13 dollars on arx (about 1 meal worth) and consider that a win win. There was no pay to win on this, there was a pay to get this now instead of in august. To Devs: excellent work on the ship, keep them coming!
Did the same thing. Sold my FDL too. (y)

Why are so many players so keen on telling people "do not spend money on this game!"? Even people who have spent like 10 thousand hours on the game and play it actively are recommending against spending any money on the game.
I'm not telling players to stop spending money on the game. I just wish for very specific spending for cosmetics only. Reject the FOMO ships.

I agree.

I have 45k arx accumulations in game, watched many videos about Python Mk2 carefully yesterday. It looks like a Pay 2 Have (P2H). I didn't buy the Python.

I suggest ALWAYS selling it for ARKs only.

P.S. I heard that the Thargoid War may end, what to do with this Python after that ?
You say you agree with me, but:
  • you suggest a ship should only be purchasable with ARX, forever
  • you imply that it's reasonable to expect players to save up 10 months worth of ARX in order to purchase a single ship

I honestly don't understand.
Just to be clear, I'm saying this kind of exclusivity paid for with real money, and the resulting fragmented/disgruntled community are bad things.

Why?
Because I'd prefer it if Frontier didn't delay new content as part of a ill-fated attempt to squeeze the playerbase. Even if Frontier cannot be swayed on that, I do not think that bypassing the delay for a single ship should cost anything close to the game itself.

The rest of your post is incorrect, as well.

I'm not telling players to stop spending money on the game. I just wish for very specific spending for cosmetics only. Reject the FOMO ships.
Well, I for one have never spent a dime on cosmetics in any game during my entire life (for as long as that has been a thing in video games).

I have, however, sometimes purchased DLC that does add something new, something playable, to the game (eg. new levels, a new area, new missions, new puzzles...)

I doubt I'm the only one who is more willing to spend money on actual content rather than cosmetics. And, in the grand scheme of things, compared to what many other games are doing, this commercial content is rather fair. Could be much, much worse.

Great counter-argument. I'm totally convinced.
I promise you that you do not know better than me about the way I spend money. The forums probably wouldn't be keen on me presenting my bank statements to back that up, but I also just didn't feel it was necessary to give evidence against an unfounded claim about the way people spend money.

I promise you that you do not know better than me about the way I spend money. The forums probably wouldn't be keen on me presenting my bank statements to back that up, but I also just didn't feel it was necessary to give evidence against an unfounded claim about the way people spend money.
I think it should be quite clear, without having to explicitly specify it, that when I say "the people who play ED for thousands of hours and recommend against spending money on it are the same people who have no problem in spending 70 bucks on a game they play for 10 hours", I don't mean that every single long-time ED player in existence is like that. The word "many" (rather than "every single one") can be easily implied in the sentiment. Citing one single counter-example is not a refutation of what I'm trying to say.

You say you agree with me, but:
  • you suggest a ship should only be purchasable with ARX, forever
  • you imply that it's reasonable to expect players to save up 10 months worth of ARX in order to purchase a single ship

I honestly don't understand.
Just to be clear, I'm saying this kind of exclusivity paid for with real money, and the resulting fragmented/disgruntled community are bad things.
Why only ? I have 45K ARXs and I haven't bought a single one. (I'd love to, but they give me one)

Earning ARXs in the game is no different from credits, for some missions give more ARXs for others less. You can even see it when you enter the game what exactly you get ARXs for.
The only thing is that unlike credits ARXs has a ceiling, you can not earn 10k ARXs in one day.

Last edited:
I think it should be quite clear, without having to explicitly specify it, that when I say "the people who play ED for thousands of hours and recommend against spending money on it are the same people who have no problem in spending 70 bucks on a game they play for 10 hours", I don't mean that every single long-time ED player in existence is like that. The word "many" (rather than "every single one") can be easily implied in the sentiment. Citing one single counter-example is not a refutation of what I'm trying to say.
Hey, if you're allowed to make generalisations based on very little data, I think I should be as well.

Yes, I understand.
And I understand that the warehouse is a bad idea, less fuel for the jump? Well, we don't have to do it at all.

I'm just trying something, even if it's not the right thing to do, but that will probably give FD a boost to the right decision to support the Elite for a long time.

I understand that it is easier to criticize and express dissatisfaction, but I think that we need to all the community who believe in the Elite to come up with something optimal to help the developers !
Finding viable ways to support the game is not the customer's duty. And I know for a fact that I'm gone if they turn it into a subscription game. It will hurt me because I've invested a lot of personal time in this game, but I'll put it behind me and never look back. Everything that caused player numbers to decline is FDev's fault. The disastrous Odyssey release, their abandoning of consoles, the (in my opinion) too long thargoid story arc. They spread their devs to other games/projects and couldn't fix the Odyssey release bugs in a timely manner. This (again, in my opinion) indicates deep structural problems, and a lot of wishful thinking. Or, managers afraid to say "we shouldn't do that" to the boss. When a team assigned to a task doesn't complete it in time or doesn't estimate the necessary time to complete it, and this happens multiple times, it's not necessary the team's fault. Someone supervises them. And all these problems reached a crescendo with the recent layoffs and restructuring.
I wish I could say they've learned their lesson, but then fixed bugs started re-surfacing, so maybe not?

Finding viable ways to support the game is not the customer's duty.
I didn't write that it's an obligation, it's just that we're all human and a random thought might yield a more correct result. And so I agree with YOU, when after the 3rd Elite you wait for years for the 4th and already give up hope and then SHE appears.
I'm just a fan of Elite, from Elite 1 to nowadays.

the (in my opinion) too long thargoid story arc.
Barring Frontier (which was basically a breakdown of the mechanics of the actual galaxy), the Thargoids are the basics of the Elite. In fact, the whole game is a confrontation with the Thargoids, everything else is essentially side quests and needed only to equip your ship better and destroy the Thargoids.

And how is the battle with the Thargoids done? It's brilliant. Very excellently realized the idea of the Thargoids as an alien non-humonoid, completely alienAnd how is the fight with the Thargoids ? That's great. Very superbly realized idea of Thargoids as alien non-humonoid, completely alien life.

They're not some two-legged cats flying around in human-like ships.

Last edited:
Top Bottom