Question about expansions

Yeah, not having atmospheric shielding would be a good way to do it for planets with an atmosphere. Perhaps when you are at speeds under 'super-cruise' any planets you see are just part of the background and will never get closer? I guess we will find out within a couple of months.

You will get closer in "normal speed", it just will take awhile. Under supercruise you will simply crash however at the edge of planet's atmosphere.

I'm still undecided about spending £80 on the game before seeing any gameplay. I'll probably have to upgrade my computer to play too :(

...gaah I can't say no! Frontier is my all time favourite game! See you in the second round beta!

That was right decision and same one I made two months ago - and I never regret it. See you in space! :)

I prefer:
"Due to your continued attempt to head toward the planet, we have sent two thermonuclear warheads to greet you..."

"And if you don't mind your destruction will be recorded for training purposes. Thank you!" :D

That reminds me I have to watch movie again.

Well I hope FD comes comes up with something better than an invisible wall. :D I hate those in games as it really breaks the immersion.

Firstly - Welcome Ayo.

I propose that without the Planetary Module that you are automatically fired at by 2 Missiles that will destroy you if you do not turn around.

If you have the module - them simply engage the Planetary drive - this will then turn the missiles into a whale and a bowl of petunias - thus allowing you to safely land.

Firstly - Welcome Ayo.

I propose that without the Planetary Module that you are automatically fired at by 2 Missiles that will destroy you if you do not turn around.

If you have the module - them simply engage the Planetary drive - this will then turn the missiles into a whale and a bowl of petunias - thus allowing you to safely land.

Sounds infinitely improbable to me. Especially if the planet is an uninhabited rock.

Well I hope FD comes comes up with something better than an invisible wall. :D I hate those in games as it really breaks the immersion.

I'd guess, with the DLC comes a licence that enables you to buy a atmospheric re-entry module for your shielding system. You don't have one of those, you can't buy the module and thus a very bad idea to try and enter an atmosphere. Thats the way I'd do it. :)

And hello Ayo, welcome to the madhouse. :D

I'd guess, with the DLC comes a licence that enables you to buy a atmospheric re-entry module for your shielding system. You don't have one of those, you can't buy the module and thus a very bad idea to try and enter an atmosphere. Thats the way I'd do it. :)

What madhouse? (Droool sneeeer)... Can i take my jacket off now pleae, the arms are toooo long. :(

As for your idea, seems like a very plausible one.

Oh and Welcome Commander, the walls are indeed padded for our comfort, now follow me...

Neeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaw...... Pew pew lazzzzorz!!

Except that explanation never works with planetary bodies without atmospheres, of which there are "a few". ;)

Of course it's still the closest we are going to get to a solution within the games fiction. Maybe, your nav computer has a bug that detects an atmosphere everywhere...the computer also has quite a ego and can't accept failure. Therefore makes the lie "true" by overriding your cooling systems while entering the "atmosphere" so you burn up anyway. :p

Hello! It's good to be here.

Don't forget planets that don't have an atmosphere, they are planets too! Personally the way I would do it is to allow people who don't have the expansion to land on planets without an atmosphere.

...Maybe, your nav computer has a bug that detects an atmosphere everywhere...the computer also has quite a ego and can't accept failure. Therefore makes the lie "true" by overriding your cooling systems while entering the "atmosphere" so you burn up anyway. :p

If your nav computer turns out to be GlaDOS/HAL 9000 then this game could be more difficult than I thought.

Hello! It's good to be here.

Don't forget planets that don't have an atmosphere, they are planets too! Personally the way I would do it is to allow people who don't have the expansion to land on planets without an atmosphere.

Yeah, I have been thinking along those lines too. Would be a nice way to advertise that feature. :)

Hey look! This is pretty neat is it not!? Now imagine this on a living world, with oceans, rivers, vegetation, wildlife and cities! Can you picture it! Yes, that WOULD be awesome! What was that? You want that!? Sure!! That can be arranged!
How much money do you have on you? BWAHAHAHA!! :D

:rolleyes: I suppose they could give you the option to "rough land" outside of a starport as you could in FE2 or FFE, but be unable to interact with the environment. I am at a loss though as to how they would explain this in the game. Airlock stuck? :S

My advice? Try it in the beta and see what happens, but don't blame me if your turned into a bowl of petunias! :D

:rolleyes: I suppose they could give you the option to "rough land" outside of a starport as you could in FE2 or FFE, but be unable to interact with the environment. I am at a loss though as to how they would explain this in the game. Airlock stuck? :S

My advice? Try it in the beta and see what happens, but don't blame me if your turned into a bowl of petunias! :D

i take it then it is all your fault if we turn into whales :p

Ah, but you are wrong about atmospheric shielding in frontier.

Was doing some experimenting recently.

On planets with no atmosphere you can take off and land fine without shielding.

You can do it too on planets with an atmosphere if you keep your speed low as in 200kmh slow.

But.... and heres the amazing bit, if you happened to take off or land during the night time this speed can be increased to maybe 300kmh or so without burning up. Give it a try and see how it works, off to ross 154 we go :)

I havent checked to see if there are differences depending on atmospere type yet but you can definately do it from ross 154

Except that explanation never works with planetary bodies without atmospheres, of which there are "a few". ;)

Of course it's still the closest we are going to get to a solution within the games fiction. Maybe, your nav computer has a bug that detects an atmosphere everywhere...the computer also has quite a ego and can't accept failure. Therefore makes the lie "true" by overriding your cooling systems while entering the "atmosphere" so you burn up anyway. :p

lol computers with egos eh? I like that. :D

As for those planets without atmospheres, well yes ... tis an issue. I suppose we could have combine governmental international laws that all ships computers are fitted with a "no landing" protocol coding. Lets just say it was put in place to curb claiming rights buy your everyday pilots in local galactic space.

The powers that be, in the past had major issues when spaceflight opened up to the public. It ended up with pilots/groups landing on non-atmosphere planets only to have them put in "Claims of ownership" to the local star cluster governments. Clearly this was unacceptable for the local cluster empires who then went on to mutually pass laws to stop this. Thus the, "Rules of Space (RoS) Regulations" started coming into effect and were being hardcoded into all ships produced from 3250 onwards.

Still, the above said, rumours are in the Nets that RoS may be coming up for revisement and government laws relaxed for future ship productions along with current ships being allowed to have access to revised hardcoding (at a cost of course).

Now you have a reason for Atmosphere/Non-Atmosphere planet landings. :p

Last edited:
ever thought that you should have a kind of "wings" to land? :rolleyes:

nwm, but if you drop all your cargo for me before you try to land, ill pledge probably more so that we can see tere some nicer planets sometime :cool:

Hi Geraldine, The question I have is for the single player offline mode; - will it have planet landings and walking around? If so; how much to pay?

Top Bottom