Question about expansions

Hi Geraldine, The question I have is for the single player offline mode; - will it have planet landings and walking around? If so; how much to pay?

Expensions are also for SP offline ... We don't know the price of these expension yet :)

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hi Geraldine, The question I have is for the single player offline mode; - will it have planet landings and walking around? If so; how much to pay?

Hi Herik,

The game on first release won't have planetary landings or EVA. FD have stated the there will most likely be implemented at a later date with no timescales or prices given at this time. If you've pledged at a high enough level your expansions will be free.

They should however be included for all versions of the game.

ever thought that you should have a kind of "wings" to land? :rolleyes:

nwm, but if you drop all your cargo for me before you try to land, ill pledge probably more so that we can see tere some nicer planets sometime :cool:

Looking at most of the designs that we've been shown, there is no need for wings as the ships are already lifting bodies

Even if that's not the case, we're assuming very powerful thrusters so aerodynamics is less important.

Oh well, that's a setback. Initially i thought that "planetary landings" were a feature everyone gets for free since it's an integral part of Elite, and that it'll just come a bit later than the official release. But now it seems this counts as a pay-for expansion? Does anyone know for sure?

Oh well, that's a setback. Initially i thought that "planetary landings" were a feature everyone gets for free since it's an integral part of Elite, and that it'll just come a bit later than the official release. But now it seems this counts as a pay-for expansion? Does anyone know for sure?

it is a pay for expansion , with a pledge of £80 (i think) you get all future expansions tho

It's something you have to pay for yes, but the reason they chose to wait with it was because they want to do it right.

This is taken from a recent interview with Tock, Paper, Shotgun:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10/18/alpha-papa-chat-elite-dangerous-alpha-in-december/
RPS: Any difficult decisions you’ve made? Cutting something the fans of the previous games might expect to be included? Will we all still be chatting on an intergalactic BBS system?

Braben: We make difficult decisions every day!

I think the most controversial is not to include landing on planetary surfaces in the first release. This is because as a player you expect there to be so much there; bustling cities, rich vistas, verdant forests full of exotic creatures, and so on. You expect to be able to get out and walk around. All of those things we want to, and plan to do with time. But not at first release.

That is quite a bit more than what we got in Frontier, don't you think? If they want to realize that vision they pretty much have to focus on it separately. I recommend going for the £80 reward while you have the chance. Two weeks from now it won't be available anymore! ;)

Hi Herik. Sorry I missed your question, however I am glad my esteemed colleague TJ and Izzy answered your query. Thank you guys! :)

Just one more point though, we don't have a time scale as yet when these expansion packs will be available. If I were to hazard a guess, it would be well after the base game has been thoroughly tested post release in both single and multiplayer . That way, Frontier have a firm foundation to expand the game in lots of interesting directions.

As for how much to pay? Well I will leave that one upto yourself. It's possible buying an inclusive pack with lifetime updates might be cheaper in the long run, then again perhaps spreading the cost out over a longer period might appeal to you more. Me? I went for an inclusive pack. That way my game will auto update without me ever having to worry about it. I much prefer the complete versions of games anyway as my GOG account will attest to. :eek:

Hope that helps. :)

You could have the ships engines adversely effected by proximity to a large solid mass, in much the same way that the hyperdrive won't operate near a gravity well, the normal engines could also suffer issues unless you bought and fitted a special box of tricks to compensate.

That would stop people landing on planets with no atmosphere.

You could have the ships engines adversely effected by proximity to a large solid mass, in much the same way that the hyperdrive won't operate near a gravity well, the normal engines could also suffer issues unless you bought and fitted a special box of tricks to compensate.

That would stop people landing on planets with no atmosphere.

fuel scooping... :p

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
I could be wrong but I seem to remember something, somewhere that said that with the initial release planetary landings would be by the way of a short cut scene? If thats the case, it could continue to do that unless you have the right permissions.

As I said I could be wrong. :D (please form a orderly queue to correct me.)

But it wouldn't surprise me if planetary landings were available for all levels of backers with the first update.

I could be wrong but I seem to remember something, somewhere that said that with the initial release planetary landings would be by the way of a short cut scene? .

crikey I hope not. I would rather wait for the expansion to allow full planetary landing by the pilot vs. cutscenes which I always found immersion breaking.

But it wouldn't surprise me if planetary landings were available for all levels of backers with the first update.

I really, really hope you're right. Planetary landings is THE feature of Elite that everyone knows about even if he hasn't played the predecessors, and it's one of the reasons i backed the game. I will not go for the £80 package just to be entitled to expansions i don't even know about yet. At that point, since it would amount to about 100€, i necessarily have to compare it to Star Citizen where i just pledged 24€ and get access to everything. I know the comparison ain't exactly fair, but it's the hard truth too, especially when keeping in mind all the limitations (i.e. instancing, storage space, type of ships we can fly) the game imposes that cannot be outweighed by the huge universe in the long run. Old-time fans of Elite won't mind that, but i don't just want to play a touch-up of the predecessors - i want to play a feature-rich game that leaves its past behind in every respect (and i already know it won't happen, at least not in the beginning).

In the end, i'm willing to pay for the expansions when the price is reasonable since i understand that they won't just be small addons, as Tinman quoted a couple of posts before. Don't spank me for my view, but i guess because i didn't play the earlier titles i have a more distanced opinion on the matter. I'm sure it'll become a great game, anyway.

also nothing of value or game balance altering can be put on planets, otherwise it would be pay2win.

also if some player flees into a planets atmosphere and you can't follow because you didn't buy the expansion-> pay2win

Top Bottom