Roadmap leaked??

I was never really interested in base building either. My goal was always to get into my dream ship, buy the necessary upgrades and engineer it. Now that I've done it, I don't really have a goal anymore.

and thus you hit the nail on why i constantly try to argue the point about why it is important for some things to take time in Elite..... Stuff should be achievable, for sure, but equally it should not come too quick, and that i think is where we are now with elite.
and also is why i am not against the idea of base buildign, so long as it is a personal thing - if you want it to be - and not forced guild like content.

and thus you hit the nail on why i constantly try to argue the point about why it is important for some things to take time in Elite..... Stuff should be achievable, for sure, but equally it should not come too quick, and that i think is where we are now with elite.
and also is why i am not against the idea of base buildign, so long as it is a personal thing - if you want it to be - and not forced guild like content.
Absolutely agree. Just want to point out that it took me more than 4 years to get where I am (and it's just a Krait, not even an Anaconda). Base building would probably offer another 4 years worth of gameplay for me. ;)

You need to convince the " I'm not getting out of bed for less than 100mcr/hr" brigade... where even skimming fuel at a sun is a waste of earnings time... though what they're ever gonna do with their riches I don't know.

PS... I mean no disrespect to those players, they paid for the game too...

Straying into theorycrafting even further - very good points, but it doesn't change the level of industry that players can exert in a game space. If FDev make the bases destructible in some way, then players will destroy them regardless of whether they take 5 minutes or 5 months to make. Nor will it matter how convoluted you make the destruction - I've FC'ed/co-FC'ed on station destruction and fleet ops in Eve and the level of tactical (and strategic) co-ordination displayed is remarkable (I know some ex and serving military guys like to use it for this purpose), so its not always a case of random ganking/joker style "watching the world burn".

So the original point still stands i.e. I hope FDev know what they are letting themselves in for with base building and design accordingly.

Hopefully if base building does come, then it is modular, so you can build an "Obi-Wan Kenobi" single man dwelling/landing pad in a few days effort or a larger base/structure using the kind of fleet/alliance co-ordination Eve displays. Provided you can "stealth"/camouflage the smaller structures in some way then I'm sure they'll remain largely hidden amongst the 400 billion star systems (approx 2.4 trillion landable planets) we have today.
What makes you think that Frontier would ever in a million years make bases be destructible? Nothing else in the game is destructible so why start with the most complicated difficult thing to implement?

What makes you think that Frontier would ever in a million years make bases be destructible? Nothing else in the game is destructible so why start with the most complicated difficult thing to implement?
Billions made from Void Opals could be one of many reasons, picked from the top of my head (but credit to Skip Rockbounder above), but next time I'm looking at the rebuy screen I'll try and convince myself you're right ;)

Everyone talking about base building, and wondering how many people stay in one system and the like... pull back and look at the bigger picture.

What feature wasn't missing from the leak that we know is being worked on. Squadron Carriers.
Where would it make the most sense to add base building? In the squadron carrier. You can bring your "base" with you, just like in NMS with the freighters.

I love the idea of base building and planet ownership. Buy the deed for a planet for a billion. Spend a few billions or so to build up your base. Sounds pretty awesome and look forward to the possibility

Everyone talking about base building, and wondering how many people stay in one system and the like... pull back and look at the bigger picture.

What feature wasn't missing from the leak that we know is being worked on. Squadron Carriers.
Where would it make the most sense to add base building? In the squadron carrier. You can bring your "base" with you, just like in NMS with the freighters.
I mean, yeah. You're probably right. I wouldn't rule out standalone bases as well, but if they were only going to do one of these it would most likely be the carriers.

Kinda doubt it. Zac seemed fairly adamant that Carriers weren't getting bundled with the DLC [1], [2]. Never know, but it feels like a pretty big stretch. 'Base building' would also be a mighty weird way to describe it. 'Mobile bases' maybe ;)

(That's not to say that I can't see Carrier modification being a thing in some form or other)

I think that you may be looking at the wrong point of Base building, it's not like we're actually going to 'live' there because it's a game, but, we are as a species settlers, and we do like to have a base of operations or 'home' (if you like) just look at the Elder Scrolls games... Player homes coming out of our ears! it's somewhere to chuck the junk and many gamers are junk collectors, even in FPS's special guns in get hoarded!
So yeah! I think the gameplay of construction would 'for many' be an element to draw them to play more often, and the 'Home' bit would for others be the thing... after all, if, once you've spent your £30-£40 on the expansion and don't like it, it's not like you can get your money back... who knows ED might even throw in a 'free' coffee simulating machine for the first 100 bases built!

ChristianM has spotted another tick in one of the prediction boxes:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bgu3pe Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/bgu3pe/psa_the_first_game_on_the_leaked_frontier_roadmap/?st=jvodrec7&sh=c56d5083

It's the most generic / safe one yet. And still all potentially just file diving, or someone on the console certification end, or whatever. But still, another tick ;)
Thanks for following this one through ;)

Lol, this doesn't confirm anything / check any boxes.

We already knew there would be a summer update and I don't see how Terrain Painting and Scenery Improvement confirms a "Claire Dearing dlc that will introduce a safari truck ride".

It might still come, but it's way too soon to call it "another tick".

Lol, this doesn't confirm anything / check any boxes.

We already knew there would be a summer update and I don't see how Terrain Painting and Scenery Improvement confirms a "Claire Dearing dlc that will introduce a safari truck ride".

It might still come, but it's way too soon to call it "another tick".

The only bit it relates to is the 'There is some decoration coming'. (See the original deleted text linked there, it's a separate entry). So very generic yeah. But def more of a tick than a cross ;)

The July DLC, with all the details, would be more telling though yeah.

They do have dedicated servers.

Sir, you are kind of optimistic.
It's known from the very early stages that ED uses mostly P2P-instancing networking model. Events handled from server-side part are background mechanics like Market prices etc.

Now, little bit sceptical opinion of mine. Look... We have something which can be related to spacelegs interaction and it's called multicrew. This is actually how game would behave on networking model ED uses right now (do your own picture). If i can remember well, FDev didn't even bother to optimize connection stability between two or more peers not to mention any perceptible backend polishing during this 2 years since it's release.
I would love to believe it's purposedly done because of new model being coded but... it's FDev and 6 year of experience. Compared to e.g No man's sky which was doomed to wither short after release and look how game changed after not even 3 years. ED is mismanaged and done with laziness.

In addition, the currently turbulent incident with in-game hacking does not add much faith to FDev.

Eh ... Let them add space legs. Surely no one would not like to go to the bar after a long journey and have a drink there with brave friends and dashing beauties?

Last edited:
Top Bottom