Seamless planetary landings

Which should come first, planetary landings or walking around on ships and stations?

• Walking around on ships and stations

Votes: 71 43.6%
  • Planetary landings

Votes: 92 56.4%

• Total voters
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. You're saying that it is better to develop all of OOCE (walking around) at the same time, rather than having it split into stations/ships first, then expanding to planets?

All I am saying is it makes sence to do one then the other, splitting developement sounds like a good idea but generally speaking its best to focus on one at a time, these are after all my opinions and not in any way fact.

Feel free to give us your opinion as it may make more sence than mine, I just offer food for thought and my humble opinion.

I would much prefer the OOCE over PL and would vote as much, I also understand there are many views and opinions here because we are all hoping our dreams of elite 4 will be fulfilled but the differences of opinion and differences of what we want cannot all be included, some will some will not and some people will be disapointed while others overjoyed, if we all wanted exactly the same thing it would be easy but also quite dull, imagine if everybody wanted to be a pirate, it wouldn't work so the fact that we all want different things is much better for the game than if we all wanted the same thing.

It's worth mentioning this comment from David back in the Kickstarter threads:

David Braben said:
...people seem to be getting hung up on whether planetary landings are there or not. This is not an on/off thing but something that will come in stages, as I said in the video. Some places will never get landings on the surface (like gas giants or stars) as it makes no sense. The pressures and temperatures of where we believe a solid surface exists on Jupiter are unbelievably high, but landings, even in amongst the clouds, should still be possible, in stations suspended in the gas.

That suggests the question isn't "which comes first" so much as "how much of each, in what order". Personally I can't wait to land on a lifeless moon or venture towards a star's corona, but I can live with walking around space stations before I shoot my first Lavian tree grub.

Feel free to give us your opinion as it may make more sence than mine, I just offer food for thought and my humble opinion.

I would like to see a list of the things we can think of that you could do for OOCE (Out Of Cockpit Experience) and a list of things we would like to have for PL (Planetary Landings) just to get a grasp of all the ideas we have for them both and how having both could open up a whole new ball game.

I have been dreaming of getting out your pilots seat for nigh on 30 years!

All I am saying is it makes sence to do one then the other, splitting developement sounds like a good idea but generally speaking its best to focus on one at a time, these are after all my opinions and not in any way fact.

The counterargument would be that it's useful to release in stages so the consequences of the design choices can be seen "in the wild". Trying to design everything all at once without seeing what happens at scale is very difficult.

As Andrew Sayers just pointed out, we will most likely see both planetary landings and walking around introduced in stages.

The counterargument would be that it's useful to release in stages so the consequences of the design choices can be seen "in the wild". Trying to design everything all at once without seeing what happens at scale is very difficult.

As Andrew Sayers just pointed out, we will most likely see both planetary landings and walking around introduced in stages.

If this is the way it goes I would love to get out of this stinky ship and stretch my legs before attempting to negociate a planetary landing, maybe visit the bar for a few jars so the effect of planetary gravity is more enjoyable and difficult to grasp! that trip to Jonty World fishing resort wouldn't be so much fun from the confines of my ships cabin lol

Interesting poll. Still neck-and-neck, but a clear majority of people who've commented prefer walking around (almost 3:1).

I don't see the point of PL if you can't get out of your ship and do something different to stations, so walking first for me.
That was exactly my thought. I'm not expecting to be able to walk around the whole planet but walking around on the bases would be nice. However there would definitely be some attraction to flying and landing on top of a big mountain and jumping out for a stroll.

I would have to go for Planetary landing first, as I would think the mechanics of turning Elite into a FPS to walk around stations and ships means that they need to develop avatars 3d models of ships and stations. They would also need to develop interactions between players and the emotes:rolleyes: basically a whole new game within elite.
I would say having planetary landings created first would finish off the whole elite environment i.e. space and land, once the environments have all been created FD can then focus on what the interiors of the stations and space ports would look like with them then adding walking about.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg one question. I'd like to land on a planet and walk around the station there and maybe even further afield. If I can do that, why not in a station in space (well walking further afield in space would require a suit but you know what I mean).

Why can't both come out in the same expansion?

Cairo, but what's the point of being able to land on a planet if you can't actually do anything once you've landed? planetary landings without the actual development of the planet itself is a waste of time. and to develop the planet means being able to walk around outside the ship, and that part can be developed and tested much better in the closed environment of the space stations.

I come from FFE, so not having planetary landings feels like a step back. I can appreciate DB's reasons for it - he wants to make planetary landings more than what they were in Frontier and FFE.

At the same time walking inside ships, stations or on planets is not something the Elite series has featured before. Thus I don't miss it and as I suspect it'll take a year or more to complete the "walking" part of ED - even if it is released one piece at a time - I'd rather see planetary landings developed first. If DB really wants to make planetary landings something deeper, it's going to take a considerable amount of time as well.

Being able to land on planets does not mean you have to be able to walk on them. You couldn't do it in FFE either. There's merit in your argument that walking on ships and space stations can be a first step (har har) towards walking in more open environments like planets, but at the same time developing planet landings first doesn't prohibit that approach. You can add planet landings first (for those planets it makes sense on), then work on walking in ships and space stations before moving on to walking on planets.

That's the way I see it but naturally that's just an opinion.

I would like to see landing first as it was always a favourite feature of Frontier and the most awe inspiring. However I can see that FPS mode would be more achievable in the short term and fits better with what exists and what is to come.

I voted for planetary landings. It's something I would love to see in the initial game release, for me, that's what should be defining this game from others from the start. I would love to fly down from space to a planet surface seamlessly, it would open up some interesting gameplay, some nice dynamics for up-close aerial combat when flying at ground level, that together with another flight control system suitable for those planet conditions with its gravity and drag.

I think the poll description above should be renamed to "seamless planetary landing."

Speaking of which: has it been confirmed yet by FD/DB that they are having Seamless planetary landings? Or will there be some kind of fade-in and -out loading sequence to cover the transition between space and land?

Last edited:
Seemless landing on planets has to be first. For me its what made FE2 stand out from every other space ship style game I have played.

Walking in stations just makes me think of Eve-Online's failed attempt when they set about making it without considering gameplay or a sensible reason why avatars would leave their ships. Wasted millions of dollars and years of development to produce 4 different rooms with a door that does not open.

I plumped for walking about first.

I look forward to the opportunity to pick up my zero-G cricket bat and personally hunt down any Trumbles that have managed to get on board ! :)

I'd have to say that since we will be interacting with space stations from the start of the game, then that should be the place to start with walking around. Walking on planets should be for when we can actually land on planets.

Malicar

Banned
Heh to be honest I wish the game had both. However that is an insane amount of work. Well interiors of ships are I don't know about landing on planets. I would think landing on planets would be in the game out of the box but then again I've been waiting well forever for this game.

Didn't Elite Frontier have landing on planets at starbases and cities etc? The game is going to be procedural also correct? So why wouldn't landing on planets be included out of the box for 2014? Evochron Mercenary does this already and it's a 1 man dev team and been around for a while now. Surely 200+ developers can get this working. Hell even interiors of stations and ships.

It looks like there will be a massive surge in procedural space games in the next little while with Infinity, Limit Theory, and Elite all claiming to have it at some point or another. Infinities procedural technology looks to be nothing short of amazing and if the kickstarter ever see's daylight will probably blow us all away. So I don't really see why the grand daddy of procedural tech would be releasing a space game under the same name in 2014 with a dev team of over 200 members and still not have procedural planets.

Station interiors is easy. Walking on stations not so easy. How many stations will we have at launch? Walking inside ships landing on planets is again another story. I only see one or the other working here. Is it even possibly to land on a procedural planet then walk around inside said object? Getting into the technical shiznit on this stuff.

Just seems odd that Elite Dangerous wouldn't have at least the same features and or more than Frontier. I'm hoping it does.

Top Bottom