Sell Cobra Mk IV?

1714370405506.png

Existing players will also unlock the exclusive Cobra Mk IV ship in Elite Dangerous: Horizons.
The Cobra Mk IV will be available in the game only to players who join us in the first year -- forever.

You can kind of interpret this to mean that:
  • the ship is exclusive to the Horizons expansion, you can't buy it at all in the base game (in context this doesn't exclude future expansions, and the Cobra Mk IV is already in Odyssey).
  • is available to access forever (not exclusive forever) beyond an initial offering
So in conclusion: the Cobra Mk IV was only available to qualifying players, and only exclusive within Horizons! 😁

I pre-ordered and have access the Cobra Mk IV already. I honestly wouldn't care if it became generally available now in Odyssey.

Reminds me of 1 Kings 3:16–28...
Two Cmdrs living in the same station (each the owner of a Cobra Mk4) came to Solo-man.
One of the Cobras had been destroyed, and each claimed the remaining Cobra as their own.
Calling for a beam laser, Solo-man declared his judgment: the remaining Cobra mk4 would be cut in two, with each Cmdr to receive half. ✂️

Here is a lovely picture of my Cobra Mk4 ❤️
(Bask in it's glory)
cobra.jpg

Reminds me of 1 Kings 3:16–28...
Two Cmdrs living in the same station (each the owner of a Cobra Mk4) came to Solo-man.
One of the Cobras had been destroyed, and each claimed the remaining Cobra as their own.
Calling for a beam laser, Solo-man declared his judgment: the remaining Cobra mk4 would be cut in two, with each Cmdr to receive half. ✂️

Here is a lovely picture of my Cobra Mk4 ❤️
(Bask in it's glory)
View attachment 391223

Well, that doesnt cut it, 2x Cobra Mk2 does not make for a Cobra Mk4

And how it changed "...only to players who joined us in the first year"?

THAT element has nothing to do with what came many years after.
Join us in the first year of Horizons - you keep removing Horizons out of the Picture.
Cobra MK4 was not given for the first year of Elite Dangerous, but for the first year of Horizons - which does not exist anymore.

Join us in the first year of Horizons - you keep removing Horizons out of the Picture.
Cobra MK4 was not given for the first year of Elite Dangerous, but for the first year of Horizons - which does not exist anymore.

It was given for loyalty, as "...our 'thank you' for your faith in the game..." which you can clearly see above, but you try to wiggle out of it :)

Along with "only now", and "forever" :)

Last edited:
It was given for loyalty, as "...our 'thank you' for your faith in the game..." which you can clearly see above, but you try to wiggle out of it :)

Along with "only now", and "forever" :)
they also gave me the Azure paints for all ships as a thank you for being there when they rolled Horizons into the base game
More aprpriate would have to give us all Cobra Mk4 since Horizons was no longer a thing

Also... forever? In a live service game? When they shut down the servers will be you be able to play that CM4? Like Forever?

Nope - forever is just a marketing ploy that can be changed the way they will change the Gamestore to sell not only cosmetics but also Ships - which turns the game into P2W which is exactly they said wont happen

So what value has now their statement pertaining the exclusivity of Cobra mk4? None, Nada, Zilch, Zero

they also gave me the Azure paints for all ships as a thank you for being there when they rolled Horizons into the base game

Have they ever said "these Azure paints are only now, will never ever be available again, forever"?
No.

But they said that for Mk IV.

Last edited:
No they wouldn't. Now you have two groups of people who can't access a thing they "need". So again, now you have two problems instead of one.

This is a literal example of "Two wrongs don't make a right."

As I see it the only solution to this problem is to simply unlock the CM4 for everyone. Yes, you would still have a small group that would get nasty over that but they would get over it—something tells me there aren't going to be any law suits etc, much bluster, no actual consequence.

If FDev can go from "The store will never be for anything but cosmetics" (paraphrasing) to hey here's "a ship to buy" then they can walk back the Cobra MK IV promise.

Sidenote:
Technically if FDev had chosen to sell the pre-builts and early access for $ on their website instead of ARX they could have technically kept their promise...silly FDev.
Please forgive my jest, I was not serious. o7

More aprpriate would have to give us all Cobra Mk4 since Horizons was no longer a thing

Also... forever? In a live service game? When they shut down the servers will be you be able to play that CM4? Like Forever?

Nope - forever is just a marketing ploy that can be changed the way they will change the Gamestore to sell not only cosmetics but also Ships - which turns the game into P2W which is exactly they said wont happen

So what value has now their statement pertaining the exclusivity of Cobra mk4? None, Nada, Zilch, Zero
It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Let's not imagine for a second that if Frontier were to make the Mk4 generally available that there wouldn't be uproar from some of the same quarters that are in uproar now that Frontier are keeping their word in relation to the Mk4.

The only decent (and profitable at the same time) thing for FD would be to present Cobra Mk V.

It can be exactly the same as Mk IV, slap on a few shiny paints and make it next in offer after Python II, the same arrangement.

Everybody wins. The people who made Mk IV in 2012 on the promise of "only now, as our thank you" will not feel betrayed, everybody else will get the coveted object of desire, ARX would bring in some needed cash to FD...

Everybody wins.

Last edited:
Top Bottom