Sell Cobra Mk IV?

Only if they stay with their word of only cosmetics in the shop. If so, then it's integrity, if not, it's just stubbornness.

This 👆

By basically selling ships in the shop, they dropped the last pretense regarding keeping their word and integrity.
If it's ok for them to sell ships in the shop - to maintain a cash flow, which i understand if it stays at this level - they may as well release the Cobra Mk4 to the general public or at least, sell it for Arx like the rest of the ships they will up for sale this year.

Again,

The only decent (and profitable at the same time) thing for FD would be to present Cobra Mk V.

It can be exactly the same as Mk IV, slap on a few shiny paints and make it next in offer after Python II, the same arrangement.

Everybody wins. The people who made Mk IV in 2012 on the promise of "only now, as our thank you" will not feel betrayed, everybody else will get the coveted object of desire, ARX would bring in some needed cash to FD...

Everybody wins.

I never liked the regular Cobra. Only had one until I grinded out the Keelback.
Me thinks I would not like the MKIV too much either.

I discovered the game too late to have a chance at the Cobra Mk.IV. I like the ugly duckling ships that everyone says are rubbish, so would really like to have a crack at the CM4. If it were sold on the ARX store I would almost certainly buy it. All that said, I wouldn't blame FDev for holding to their word in this instance and keeping it exclusive to the early supporters, nor do I feel like I'd be hard done by with that continued situation.

I have the Quattro on two accounts and use it often, both out of bloody-mindedness (because it is derided by others) and because I actually enjoy it. I think it would be good to release it to everyone*, then I could have one on my non-qualifying account.

* But not as "for sale ships" in the Arx store which is something I totally object to.

Last edited:
Only if they stay with their word of only cosmetics in the shop. If so, then it's integrity, if not, it's just stubbornness.
The trouble is they slipped a non cosmetic item through the shop ages ago with the ship kits that have working lights.
OK they are often more of a hindrance than a benefit but they aren’t purely cosmetic.

What's with the dogmatic need to conflate these two different situations as a condition of acceptance?
i dont see it as dogmatic - but people use to defend the exclusiveness of CM4 by "FD said exclusive forever and they must stick to their word"
FDev also said the store will be only for cosmetics, never for p2w - but this doesnt seem to matter

They either keep their words or not, being selective with the acceptance of various instances of breaking a promise is hypocritical

OK they are often more of a hindrance than a benefit but they aren’t purely cosmetic.

Neither were paints themselves before night vision. Visibility can matter.

When they shut down the servers will be you be able to play that CM4? Like Forever?

If they release a patch to allow the game to run offline, as they once expressed a desire to do once the game's useful life as a product was complete, yes.

Of course that's a pretty big if, and if they released enough to make the game usable without their hosting, then they'd have very little control over what was done was done with it after the fact.

Everybody wins.

No such scenario, as 'win' is subjective to the individual and you can be sure that no matter how popular or well reasoned any given option is, it's going to offend someone, probably a lot of someones.

i dont see it as dogmatic - but people use to defend the exclusiveness of CM4 by "FD said exclusive forever and they must stick to their word"
FDev also said the store will be only for cosmetics, never for p2w - but this doesnt seem to matter

They either keep their words or not, being selective with the acceptance of various instances of breaking a promise is hypocritical

There is an argument that keeping one's word some of the time is better than none of the time. Personally, I think the main mistake was making the wrong promises (ones that cannot possibly be fulfilled while ensuring equitable access to the game) to begin with, but that's just me.

Anyway, Frontier can keep the Cobra IV exclusive until they are convinced that selling it will be worth more than the perception of 'sticking to their guns' it's exclusivity still engenders among some of their customers. And that is the perception, because people are very selective in their memories and interpretations...as you've repeatedly pointed out. As long as there is one example of Frontier keeping a promise, some people will cite that example and trust Frontier to keep their promises, no matter how many examples to the contrary there also are. Similarly, as long as no purchase includes a large red "I win!" button, that unlocks everything in the game, provides infinite assets, and makes the CMDR invincible, which cannot be acquired by any amount of Arx that could potentially have been accrued without additional payment, there will be 'that guy' who denies it's an example of pay-to-win.

As for hypocrisy, pretty much every corporate playbook seems to borrow heavily from Chapter 18 of The Prince.

It's an arbitrary decision either way and I don't see how Frontier's decision choice one way affects another separate choice, though I get that it can be used as an reason to justify why they should release it for those that really want it. But it's like telling someone who cheated on their diet one time that they should just give up on having any integrity on any other decision in their life because that it's it, they didn't make good on this one thing one time, or maybe a couple of times.

I think there is a difference between switching up their monetization which, I agree btw, does indicate a pretty major change in approach to DLC, though we're definitely at the thin edge of the wedge, and the slippery slope is logical fallacy to present as an inevitability, though of course it may prove to be true over time. But Frontier were quite adamant at the time the CM4 was released that it would be an exclusive in perpetuity, and to me that reads different, though of course, tomorrow Frontier might announce that they are making it available. Again, both decisions are arbitrary and do not necessarily have any relation to one another.

Top Bottom