Ship Integrity Question

Hello

I have a question on Ship Integrity that I can't really find a definitive answer to. I went on a trip to finish off "Elite" in Exploration, and when I got back from what must have been a journey of 20k LYs, I found my DBX at 58% Integrity. I took two auto field maintenance units with me and used them twice to repair my FSD. I used two Neutron stars to make two jumps, which took my FSD to about 99% once and I think 98% the second time. Other than that, I never once even put a dent in my shields, never dropped out too close to a star, my hull/shields always remained at 100% the entire trip. I did beat the hell out of my SRV but always repaired it back to 100%, but my ship never took any damage, not a bad landing, not a bump into anything, nothing other than two Neutron jumps, which I repaired pretty much right away after each jump.

So my question is... had a stayed out longer, what would have happened to Ship if Integrity kept dropping in the background? I was nowhere near a station to repair, and there's no way, that I know of, to even know your Ship's Integrity is dropping, for whatever reason, so... at some point would my ship had just failed on me? What's the point of the Integrity setting and how does it work? I'd like to take other trips, maybe to SAG A, Beagle, wherever, but if my ship is silently disintegrating on me in the background, even when I never take any significant damage, other than the FSD on a Neutron jump which was repaired with the AFMU, I don't get what's causing the drop in Integrity and it's ultimate consequences should it hit a low enough point to, what, just stop working and I am left floating in the middle of nowhere?

Is there any real point to this "Integrity" mechanic, any real point that will cause ship failure possibly thousands of LYs away from, umm, anywhere to repair? Also, do you get a warning at some Integrity percentage, so you at least know you'd better head back in to find a station to repair?

Thanks! o7

The ship integrity rating represents the general wear and tear on stuff like bulkheads, frame, etc. Basically, as you fly around, jump around, etc., it takes a toll on your ship as a whole, not just the individual components.

They separated it out from the 'Repair All' command because users complained about the added expense when it was something that didn't have to be repaired right away.

Having the ship's integrity fall to 0% brings your hull rating down and also can cause your components to randomly fail. It won't kill you, but it will make you weaker.

Also, the costs of repairing integrity get more expensive the lower you go. So, while 1% might cost 10 credits (or whatever), 20% might cost 2,000 credits (or whatever).

Hope that helps!

No need to worry about your ship popping due to eventual integrity loss: what it does do is that your damage resistances are lowered, so it only matters if you take damage. At its lowest point, you're at effectively 70% max. hull armour.
So, avoid taking serious damage, and you should be perfectly fine.

Oh, and being in a neutron star jet cone only damages your FSD, and being in supercruise damages your integrity. From earlier testing, it didn't look like being in a jet cone adds more integrity damage than the standard SC damage.

Even so, no matter where you are in the galaxy, I think you can find a fleet carrier within 3-5 kly. But no, the game doesn't warn you if your ship integrity is too low.
The point was originally being a credit sink, as the repair costs were much higher than today. But after complaints, it was nerfed into the ground (IIRC there was a 10x cost reduction?), and with incomes having risen dramatically since, by today the credit cost is practically pointless.

Last edited:

Thwarptide

Banned
Knowing all this b4 hand I spent 2 months and explored about 60,000lyrs (according to my ly odometer 🤪). Integrity never made it below 90%. I never concerned myself with it. While 1 AFMU will more than suffice for exploration, neutron jumping causes more wear and tear, but even so, 1 AFMU is sufficient. Should things get bad then you can always reboot the ship well enough to get the remainder of repairs done at a station when it suits you.
Try not to be too concerned when modules sustain damage above 85%. It will fly just fine until things get to (what I'm told) is around the 70% mark. Could be lower. Personally IF I ever get to 80-85% I'd be lucky to see it. I've rarely dipped to 97%.

Thank you all for the info! I was not sure if I was just going to be "OUT" there and hit some percentage and not be able to "recover" and floating until death, or my ship just went BOOM! :) Appreciate it! Thanks again! You guys rock!

Last edited:
Integrity falls at the same rate as your paint wears. It doesn't matter how many jumps you make, or planetary landings you make, or damage from weapons or overheating you take. Supercruise travel, and supercruise travel alone, causes both to fall, at a rate of 1% per 100,000 Ls travelled. Hitting 0% integrity is not fatal, nor even dangerous unless you attempt to enter combat, where it acts like an overall debuff of hull strength. I've heard reports that your modules might also be easier to damage under fire, but haven't seen any stats to confirm this as very few people willingly enter combat with 0% integrity to test it out.

Because paint and integrity wear out at the same rate, you can use paint wear as a visual indicator of integrity loss. Of course, this only works if you habitually repair all paint and integrity at the same time when docked. Those who like the sandblasted look of worn paint have to make do without the visual integrity indicator.

Integrity falls at the same rate as your paint wears. It doesn't matter how many jumps you make, or planetary landings you make, or damage from weapons or overheating you take. Supercruise travel, and supercruise travel alone, causes both to fall, at a rate of 1% per 100,000 Ls travelled. Hitting 0% integrity is not fatal, nor even dangerous unless you attempt to enter combat, where it acts like an overall debuff of hull strength. I've heard reports that your modules might also be easier to damage under fire, but haven't seen any stats to confirm this as very few people willingly enter combat with 0% integrity to test it out.

Because paint and integrity wear out at the same rate, you can use paint wear as a visual indicator of integrity loss. Of course, this only works if you habitually repair all paint and integrity at the same time when docked. Those who like the sandblasted look of worn paint have to make do without the visual integrity indicator.
It's funny, I always do the same routine when I hit a station... 1. Refuel, 2. Repair Integrity, 3. Fix Paint. Why the hell am I fixing my paint?! Am I going to a Space Ship Hot Rod Diner or something?! And I've noticed, tested it... you can have 100% Integrity and Paint. Leave a station and fly RIGHT back in and your Integrity and Paint are already down to 99%. Huh?! 😕 I didn't GO anywhere!

Never heard about random module failures at 0% integrity, by the way, and never experienced it myself either - despite having spent plenty of time there.
Random failures (which are temporary) can happen to modules that are under 80% health, but that's tied to the specific modules only.

Personally though, I like my ships to have good paintjobs on screenshots, so yeah, I'll be stopping by carriers to repair them :D

I've been playing ED for about 2 years and never knew Repair All didn't include everything (except paint job) that makes your ship 100% good. i would've never known about this had I not purchased a fleet carrier and tried using the onboard repair service. On the carrier, there is only Advanced Repair, which shows you everything. This is how I realized that Ship Integrity was another type of repair! All would be fine and dandy if I didn't participate in combat, but I do, and I also do exploration. I used my anaconda for exploration and as a primary combat ship. After reading this thread, I checked the integrity of my anaconda, and it was at 8%!

Here's what drives me crazy about the interface at space stations: Why do they even have Repair All, if it does not repair all? In my mind, paint job is not a repair service, so I have no problem with that, but ship integrity is. "Repair All" has got to be the stupidest user interface in ED. I wonder what other hidden features ED has that could get you killed one of these days.

I've been playing ED for about 2 years and never knew Repair All didn't include everything (except paint job) that makes your ship 100% good. i would've never known about this had I not purchased a fleet carrier and tried using the onboard repair service. On the carrier, there is only Advanced Repair, which shows you everything. This is how I realized that Ship Integrity was another type of repair! All would be fine and dandy if I didn't participate in combat, but I do, and I also do exploration. I used my anaconda for exploration and as a primary combat ship. After reading this thread, I checked the integrity of my anaconda, and it was at 8%!

Here's what drives me crazy about the interface at space stations: Why do they even have Repair All, if it does not repair all? In my mind, paint job is not a repair service, so I have no problem with that, but ship integrity is. "Repair All" has got to be the stupidest user interface in ED. I wonder what other hidden features ED has that could get you killed one of these days.

"Repair All" used to literally repair all - including paint. But lots of people like the "worn paint" look, and complained bitterly when their hard-worn paint was accidentally repaired by an accidental press of "repair all". So back in the 2.2 update, FD removed paint repair from the Repair All function.

They removed Integrity repair from Repair All at the same time, presumably because of the reason I said earlier: paint and integrity wear at the same rate, so paint wear can be used as a visual guide for Integrity loss. Presumably back when beta-testing this, there were enough people who wanted Paint and Integrity kept together this way, so that FD pulled them both out of Repair All.

So if you want someone to blame, you can blame either the don't-repair-my-worn-paint crowd, or the we-use-paint-as-guide-for Integrity crowd.

"Repair All" used to literally repair all - including paint. But lots of people like the "worn paint" look, and complained bitterly when their hard-worn paint was accidentally repaired by an accidental press of "repair all". So back in the 2.2 update, FD removed paint repair from the Repair All function.

They removed Integrity repair from Repair All at the same time, presumably because of the reason I said earlier: paint and integrity wear at the same rate, so paint wear can be used as a visual guide for Integrity loss. Presumably back when beta-testing this, there were enough people who wanted Paint and Integrity kept together this way, so that FD pulled them both out of Repair All.

So if you want someone to blame, you can blame either the don't-repair-my-worn-paint crowd, or the we-use-paint-as-guide-for Integrity crowd.
So I can understand the perspective of those who like the worn look of the paint job, but ship integrity literally is not related with the condition of the paint on a ship. As an example, a car can be sitting out in the Sun for 10 years, and it'll look bad, but if you only drive 5 miles a week, then the integrity of the car is nearly brand new after 10 years. I guess my point is that "Repair All" is misleading. Why didn't FD just do what they did with the carriers - Just have Advanced Repair, period.

Besides, repairing the integrity was (and is) pretty expensive comparing to "normal" repairs and earning credits was not as easy as it is today. People preferred not to spend all their hard-worked savings by a single "Repair All" button click.

There's always the option to ignore the ship integrity. If you spend a lot of time away from stations/carriers, you're probably used to the paint wearing off fairly quickly. Your integrity will be just as low, just as often. If you fly safely under those conditions, you don't gain much by putting the 30% hull health back onto your ship, only to have it expensively stripped off again. Worth it for combat ships. But for exploration? Meh. ;)

Top Bottom