Ship interior "trial run"

even without adding anything serious, just making it display ships in alphabetical order of ship type as opposed to when bought, would be enough.

still does nothing for the lack of painting the inside of my ships something matching and maybe various shades...

And Arx or credit card got me all the other colors(besides gift/prize) I would pay Arx for some interior paint.
I have no desire to walk around to see it, just want my ships like my trucks, to match.
I had a car when I was a kid that almost got me killed because of glare off the dash
Drove to a hardware store and bought a bunch of furry dark pillows, cut them apart and glued the dark fur to the dash.

IF I could only do that to my Cutter and Clipper, I would. so fast...

While I'm OK with the proposal, I don't think it's necessary to limit it to one ship, if it's sufficiently "generic" (at least initially).

All the ship cockpits have already been done. And they all have a door at the back. So just let them take us to a generic living-space (bunk, desk, chair, toilet/shower, microwave etc), then a room with an exit hatch, SRV boarding hatch, maintenance station, and another door to the passenger-cabins corridor.

It might seem odd to have the same interior for the Sidewinder and the Beluga, but that can be developed when Frontier decide what the extra space in a Beluga actually contains.

While I'm OK with the proposal, I don't think it's necessary to limit it to one ship, if it's sufficiently "generic" (at least initially).

All the ship cockpits have already been done. And they all have a door at the back. So just let them take us to a generic living-space (bunk, desk, chair, toilet/shower, microwave etc), then a room with an exit hatch, SRV boarding hatch, maintenance station, and another door to the passenger-cabins corridor.
While parked, presumably. they can't model the inertia changes, zero gravity or external dame intrusion for any other mode.

I suppose the test is how many people with Odyssey:
- dock at a starport, disembark to concourse, go to Inter Astra, select new ship, back to elevator, board new ship
and how many people:
- still use the Horizons-style shipyard screen to switch to their new ship with a scene change

If lots of Odyssey owners are doing the first "for immersion" that's probably a good hint to Frontier that purely decorative ship interiors would be popular.
Most of my ships are on my fleet carrier and I do generally go to the ship selector onfoot if I've already disembarked but if it's a quick switch because I'm in a hurry then I won't make the extra effort. It makes more sense to me to do it onfoot though. However, thinking about it now, if I had the option to select my new ship whilst still in the cockpit and then be disembarked to the landing pad with the elevator taking me straight to my new chosen ship pad, I would choose that pretty much every time.

Well, i do wonder how many people:
  • get to an on-foot CZ in their ships,
  • land,
  • dismiss the ship,
  • commence fighting,
  • then, at the end, call their ships and run 400-500m to board it,
  • leave the settlement and supercruise to another one (or supercruise back to restart the one they just won)

And they do it every single time they take part in a CZ

If we transpose this to carriers shipyards, between the carrier interiors located inside the command tower/nacelle to the landing pads - there usually are more than 500m (around 1km to the small pads, or up to more than 2 km to the farther large pads)
I do wonder how many people would have gotten their immersion that far to walk that distance every single time.

From a gameplay perspective i do find it quite ok-ish as it is, with the mention that having back entrance/exits to large hangars (at starports) feels a bit trollish.
But i do appreciate they put the hangar entrances in carriers on the sides, thus minimizing the hangar run (however i'd still like to be able to access on foot mission boards from my ship)
I think if anyone's played a decent measure of survival games like Minecraft, the walking is no bother. I've been playing a bit of Valheim with my son and there's a decent amount of walking in that, though there's a good chance you'll come across berries and such on your way so it's fine. I imagine if Frontier added materials randomly scattered across planets that can be picked up with varying degrees of rarity, leading to some larger deposits that can be mined, you'd see a lot more CMDRs walking around the surface of these planets. I certainly would.

I think if anyone's played a decent measure of survival games like Minecraft, the walking is no bother. I've been playing a bit of Valheim with my son and there's a decent amount of walking in that, though there's a good chance you'll come across berries and such on your way so it's fine. I imagine if Frontier added materials randomly scattered across planets that can be picked up with varying degrees of rarity, leading to some larger deposits that can be mined, you'd see a lot more CMDRs walking around the surface of these planets. I certainly would.
Some common materials could be placed on the landing pad next to elevators - like forgotten in a hurry by another commander - mixed up with pizza boxes and other clutter.

I think if anyone's played a decent measure of survival games like Minecraft, the walking is no bother.

My "main" is on XB - and i got my XB One S in its special incarnation: Minecraft Edition, resembling a block of grass and with a green Creeper controller.
I played Minecraft on it with my daughter (she got the pinky Pig controller) for like 2-3 weeks - then i've got ED and since then (almost 4 years) i've played only Elite.

I'm not really resentful to walking, but too much walking is detrimental to my gameplay "efficiency" - hence i never take a single mission and i always stack at least 5-7 missions before leaving the station, minimizing the hangar run as much as possible (along with using mostly a DBX since it has the shortest hangar run)

While we still talking here, I started my version of the ASPX, just you want something? Do it yourself.
But yes, it is not game-ready and actually planned as early variant with small changes off from game mechanics. But better that absolutely nothing.
See WIP version on sketchfab, there is temp model, I've decide to be more close to our current layout, still far from final state.

After i learned an important lesson, that the playerbase of Elite is fine with half finished, mediocre features and actively opposes a full ship interior and gameplay, it filled me with disappointment that this game would stay like it is forever. It pushed me over to Star Citizen. I hope elite becomes what it could be but it looks like its just going to die this slow sad death.

After i learned an important lesson, that the playerbase of Elite is fine with half finished, mediocre features and actively opposes a full ship interior and gameplay, it filled me with disappointment that this game would stay like it is forever. It pushed me over to Star Citizen
So you went to the permanent alpha where nothing is finished at all?
I bought, sorry pledged, it to play around with - it doesn't occupy much of my playtime so far, maybe soon...

just like in the lore if my steel bucket is just a bucket but still flies, who needs a seat or paint

Like Odyssey isn't, explain what interiors(other than just actual color match exterior) could possibly do to enhance or add to the flight of any ship.
Remember, this is Elite Dangerous and its addons, aka Horizons, Odyssey. Ultimately a space ship flying game.
And as long as it takes no effort away from actual development and storylines and fixes, that's a start.
Slim to no chance it will have my interest, from everything I keep reading that people want for no real useful reasons.

After i learned an important lesson, that the playerbase of Elite is fine with half finished, mediocre features and actively opposes a full ship interior and gameplay, it filled me with disappointment that this game would stay like it is forever. It pushed me over to Star Citizen. I hope elite becomes what it could be but it looks like its just going to die this slow sad death.
Evidently most players just don't want the same things that you do.
Sounds like you've found a game that better suits the things that you enjoy which is good.
Don't forget to pop back when you want to revist this game. 👋

just like in the lore if my steel bucket is just a bucket but still flies, who needs a seat or paint

Like Odyssey isn't, explain what interiors(other than just actual color match exterior) could possibly do to enhance or add to the flight of any ship.
Remember, this is Elite Dangerous and its addons, aka Horizons, Odyssey. Ultimately a space ship flying game.
And as long as it takes no effort away from actual development and storylines and fixes, that's a start.
Slim to no chance it will have my interest, from everything I keep reading that people want for no real useful reasons.
There are plenty of reasons.
1. Immersion- like it or not this is important for a game like elite. Spending a minute walking through your ship is an amazing experience that never gets old and is worth the extra time.
2. Medical, salvage, and combat- in star Citizen there are missions that say URGENT! Boarding in progress- you have 5 minutes to claim the mission and get to the location before it despawns. Your task is to kill the bad guys outside the ship (ship to ship combat) then after they are dead, you EVA over to the ship under attack (its called an 890 jump, similar to a beluga in elite) open the airlock. Board, there are between 10 and 15 pirates and 3 security guards. Its your job to clear the pirates inside the ship with your on foot weapons and help the security. After you are sucessful the payment is 51,000- 60,000 uec (equivalent to about 20-25M credits). It is extremy immersive going through the huge ship not knowing where the baddies are (they could be around the corner waiting to kill you). After you are done, you go out the airlock again EVA to your ship, get on it, walk to the pilot's seat and fly home or to another area.

Thats why we need ship interiors, they have so much potential to meld ship content with foot content and be very fun.

Nice suggestion, but I would rather see FDev's time spent fixing the hundreds of bugs reported here on this forum and in issue tracker, before adding any more extensive graphic content, which would invariably introduce more bugs. Let's fix this beta full of bugs first. A game that works as advertised would be nice.

1. Immersion- like it or not this is important for a game like elite. Spending a minute walking through your ship is an amazing experience that never gets old and is worth the extra time.
2. Medical, salvage, and combat- in star Citizen there are missions that say URGENT! Boarding in progress- you have 5 minutes to claim the mission and get to the location before it despawns. Your task is to kill the bad guys outside the ship (ship to ship combat) then after they are dead, you EVA over to the ship under attack (its called an 890 jump, similar to a beluga in elite) open the airlock. Board, there are between 10 and 15 pirates and 3 security guards. Its your job to clear the pirates inside the ship with your on foot weapons and help the security. After you are sucessful the payment is 51,000- 60,000 uec (equivalent to about 20-25M credits). It is extremy immersive going through the huge ship not knowing where the baddies are (they could be around the corner waiting to kill you). After you are done, you go out the airlock again EVA to your ship, get on it, walk to the pilot's seat and fly home or to another area.

Thats why we need ship interiors, they have so much potential to meld ship content with foot content and be very fun.
Honestly, wandering around corridors and timed missions are my ideas of game hell.
I like the way X4 does interiors (and crew) but walking for minutes to just get off the ship sounds awful, it's the reason you don't get to see all the dull bits in films.
If I'm going to be walking for extended periods I'd rather spend my time outside.

Not going to fault the idea as it does seem like good gameplay to add. Only thing is this would need an Odyssey sized DLC (at least that sort of scale would seem to do the idea justice ). With Odyssey still seemingly not finished I think it'll be a while before something this big would get worked on.

Not going to fault the idea as it does seem like good gameplay to add. Only thing is this would need an Odyssey sized DLC (at least that sort of scale would seem to do the idea justice ). With Odyssey still seemingly not finished I think it'll be a while before something this big would get worked on.
It is good gameplay and I wouldn't put it out of the realms of possiblity it will come to Elite as it was mentioned in the Kickstarter, you know, along with Spacelegs, which the same folks all knew would never come to Elite either.

However, I wouldn't bother. OP wants an Odyssey sized expansion tomorrow or the game is dead but is happy to buy into the cult of Star Citizen, the game that was promised to be feature complete and released in 2015 - and apparently pushed into this due to the disappointment seeing all the unfinished features in Elite. I mean, how can one begin with that?

Back
Top Bottom