Patch Notes Update Ships Beta 1.5 Beta 2 Incoming

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hot fix by the dev during the weekend? That's incredible and almost unheard of. That also tells you there is a lot of stuff to be fixed an a lot known problems, which is not so incredible... But I applaud the fix and the devs working on a weekend.

Hot fix by the dev during the weekend? That's incredible and almost unheard of. That also tells you there is a lot of stuff to be fixed an a lot known problems, which is not so incredible... But I applaud the fix and the devs working on a weekend.

Well, it's a Beta...

40 deg would be pointless. You could virtually ignore the heat damage while using 2 simultaneous SCBs. And ignore heat sink and hull reinforcements in the process. This would basically be 1.4 magic potions all over again. Now if you want your potions you have to coat your stomach in peptobismo first. Using heat sinks + SCBs in a 1:1 ratio.

It basically means that if you want to be able to fully recharge your shields with 2 SCBs without taking heat damage, you need to sacrifice 2 utility slots to heat sinks. Which means that your shields will miss out on the +40% from boosters, but they will still be 3000% stronger from SCBs, if you can avoid dropping shields. It's a risk/reward situation.

OR you can opt for the fast regen shields and hull reinforcements if you want to be tougher naturally without resorting to risk of dropping your deeper SCB shields with an average strength hull. So now we have real choices in how to loadout our ship for different types of tankiness. ;)

Problem is your heat sink suggestion is faulty as it does not work. I have tried launching heatsinks at higher than 1:1 ratio and it does not help. Larger ships (Python and up) barely get a ring of shields if that from the higher heatsinks alone. and if you fire 2 which is what you need (python at minimum 2 5Bs) to get enough shield to have a chance of survival you end up frying modules and that is firing 2 or more heatsinks with it

sht.jpg
When is this going to be adressed? I am worried that you will keep it like the conda hud offset and other minor bugs. I am unable to read text. This is a problem for ultra wide monitors, 4k monitors, 3k monitors.
Still present in beta2

The heat mechanics of shields are game breaking.

- - - Updated - - -

Couldn't agree more!
It just feels wrong that the top sized ships in the game do not have more capable jump range.
(I managed to get a fully top A-graded Corvette down to 11.8 LY jump range... That is a bit extreme.)

Like fdl - restricted to close areas. I agree here. JR too short

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, please don't nerf the heat of SCBs.

Power up nerf is enough. There are 2 antagonizing groups in the forums now. Let's have a compromise.

Last edited:
Address the nausea inducing ship self centering thing that 1.5 has brought to those of us who use Oculus Rift. It is horrible! I don't know how to explain it but as the ship comes back to centre after centering the stick it does some wierd thing which instantly makes you feel ill.

Not important I hear you say? Best example of a VR game ever and it is ruined by a tiny little thing that makes everyone want to vom every time they fly.

This is a joke, right? Schield Cell Banks are useless now ...
No they are not. You can use them as a last resort measure and Heat Sinks can back you up.

Please do Michael. I can see what you guys are trying to do in the way of balancing the SCBs but you've gone too far the other way now. I would have thought that the SCBs should add say 40 degree at most to your ship heat.
40 is a way to small. Current (1.5 beta 2) SCB heat mechanic is perfect.

For example - Best maneuver in Clipper (for me!) was "Shooting, Boosting, Ramming and recharging shields with SCB, all this at the same time". Ridicilous right?
With changes in current 1.5 (beta 2) it is not possible any more (without heat troubles, sparks, flames, Heat Sinks spam, malfunctions...). And this how it should be in any scale of PvP/PvE (and not just my example).
No more "SCB to win". No more "Recharge shields with out drawbacks". And now there is a need to explore/learn another tactics, because "just push a button" is not an option anymore - this is Good!

For wing PvP - yes! it is also for the better!
If anyone want to tank full wing (for some time, and yes - less time than before) - take a Cutter and "slide babe, just slide babe, common ..." while enemies shooting at you.
Or do anyone really think that Python / Anaconda / Anything should tank full wing focus fire for a long time? Sorry, ridiculous...

Totaly agree with:
Please don't nerf the heat damage. I think it's pretty balanced since now you actually have to use as many heat sinks as SCBs. I think people just need to get used to this idea. And it will take some time.
Micheal. New heat mechanics are perfect. The backlash is simply people not being used to taking minor heat damage.

On a side note, the Hull Reinforcements might be a bit OP now. They were already strong in 1v1 and now they pretty much replace a bank of SCBs in each module slot. But likewise, the hull of some smaller ships can be quite durable now. Not nearly as durable as larger ships, but still fairly difficult to kill without targeting modules.

Thanks Kleem, glad someone else can see the beauty in these changes.

Consider this: Many if not most of the anti-scb crowd want them gone completely. By comparison this is already a compromise.

Some of you are saying SCBs are useless now, this simply is untrue. I just used a medium size one, it recharged about a 5th of my cutters shields and did about 1% damage to all of my modules. I healed 20% of my shield hp at the cost of 1% of my internal hp, if that's not a good deal I don't know what is.

Route plotting seems to be broken. I have to plot the route again and again after first jump.

Ship: Imperial Cutter
Route: Shinrarta Dezhra -> Quikinnaqu

Update: The last two jumps were OK for some reason.

Last edited:
You see, we are in 2015, correct? in the game we are in 3300 and so, I find it isso..lol, u think with almost 1300 years of technology ahead of our time a spacecraft would warm up because modules? heating is partly because of an overload generated by high amperage in a system nowadays, so u have an idea, a fiber optic cable is able to drive a voltage of over 10,000 volts and able to endure without harm or heating, an amperage of more than 75,000 amperes, as I said, in 3300 u think the spacecraft have the wiring system with copper cables? Swap, mentioned this in the forum, but no one answered this "statement".
We all know that space is cold, more than 200 degrees below zero, as a module will overheat ?? and to use a "cooling module" if we are traveling at 200 degrees below zero?
Bearing in mind that at least the electrical installations of the spacecraft at least the same, are optical fibers, this being pretty stupid not to believe that after 1300 years we will still be using fiber optics.
I told them they're doing something with the settings of the spacecraft, out of a futuristic reality, it is pointless to think that way.
I'm not trying to generate a discussion, only raising some questions about the changes made in the game.
Sorry for my English, but it is not my first language

Last edited:
You see, we are in 2015, correct? in the game we are in 3300 and so, I find it isso..lol, u think with almost 1300 years of technology ahead of our time a spacecraft would warm up because modules? heating is partly because of an overload generated by high amperage in a system nowadays, so u have an idea, a fiber optic cable is able to drive a voltage of over 10,000 volts and able to endure without harm or heating, an amperage of more than 75,000 amperes, as I said, in 3300 u think the spacecraft have the wiring system with copper cables? Swap, mentioned this in the forum, but no one answered this "statement".
We all know that space is cold, more than 200 degrees below zero, as a module will overheat ?? and to use a "cooling module" if we are traveling at 200 degrees below zero?
Bearing in mind that at least the electrical installations of the spacecraft at least the same, are optical fibers, this being pretty stupid not to believe that after 1300 years we will still be using fiber optics.
I told them they're doing something with the settings of the spacecraft, out of a futuristic reality, it is pointless to think that way.
I'm not trying to generate a discussion, only raising some questions about the changes made in the game.
Sorry for my English, but it is not my first language

Heat dissipation is one of the larger problems of space.

Since there is very little atmosphere in space....it is hard to get rid of heat...as it has nothing to move to (remember heat is just the excitation of atoms and diffusion of heat is the movement of that excitation to other media)...if there is no media for the heat to transfer to...it is extremely hard to get rid of it. It can radiate off of large surface area radiators or it can be accumulated and dropped...and this game models both methods.

Heat dissipation is one of the larger problems of space.

Since there is very little atmosphere in space....it is hard to get rid of heat...as it has nothing to move to (remember heat is just the excitation of atoms and diffusion of heat is the movement of that excitation to other media)...if there is no media for the heat to transfer to...it is extremely hard to get rid of it. It can radiate off of large surface area radiators or it can be accumulated and dropped...and this game models both methods.

But that's exactly what you mean with 1300 years ahead of our time, in 2015, have not yet discovered how to do this ???
I find it impossible

But that's exactly what you mean with 1300 years ahead of our time, in 2015, have not yet discovered how to do this ???
I find it impossible

Physics is physics. Unless you want to introduce more magic and handwavium! There might be more efficient materials to accomplish this, but the problem still will exist.

Last edited:
Physics is physics. Unless you want to introduce magic and handwavium! There might be more efficient materials to accomplish this, but the problem still will exist.

In fact, the heat dissipation is an important part of the spacecraft planning project. For example, Skylab had a gold coating which blocks the infrared radiation from the sun and a large radiator to dissipate the heat generated

there not will be 1300 years from now, that is precisely the time when it passes the elite dangerous
Elite Dangerous has the technology to travel above the speed of light, can travel for exmplo 200 years light in a matter of minutes, but no technology for cooling a spaceship? Do you understand now?

Last edited:
SCB's should not cause hull damage when used. The heat is simply too high. Why would anyone install modules if it starts causing damage in principle?

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom