Sidechat

You get Oystercatchers at your feeder? That's crazy. The closest I get is the turkeys and mourning doves that clean up after all the small birds throw their food on the ground.
Yeah always at night though so I don't see them much but I can definitely hear them. I'm like 40 miles from the coast but every spring they come here to breed but this year there is a lot more than usual, their constant whistling noises can be a bit annoying.

I wish I could have birds in my yard. But we had to cut 2 of our pine trees because they moved way too much in storms.
On top of that, the only neighbors with trees are the ones to our right and the ones right behind, but their trees house squirrel families.
Plus, for a few years now we've had some birds-of-prey (no idea what species. They're very small) living in the area, and since then I haven't seen as many birds.

Right now we're tryna take advantage of the spring weather and grow lots of thick plants: jasmine, bougainvillea, morning glory, hibiscus.
Hopefully these will grow large enough to provide some cover for the birds but also make the yard look good, too (we had a freeze about a year or 2 ago, and it killed all our plants, despite our best efforts to cover them)

If anything, we do get butterflies passing through, so we could try to do a new butterfly garden since the last one froze. Monarchs, swallowtails, and clouded sulphurs (or at least a lookalike)

we had a freeze about a year or 2 ago, and it killed all our plants, despite our best efforts to cover them
Light work in Wisconsin. I have about 6 gardens in my yard. I'm not sure if I've talked about it yet here but I love plants and gardening indoor and outdoor. We have a few rose bushes (red, pink, peach, and campfire roses), some hydrangea, astilbe, foxgloves, primrose, pulmonaria, etc

Light work in Wisconsin. I have about 6 gardens in my yard. I'm not sure if I've talked about it yet here but I love plants and gardening indoor and outdoor. We have a few rose bushes (red, pink, peach, and campfire roses), some hydrangea, astilbe, foxgloves, primrose, pulmonaria, etc
I think the advantage to living up north is that y'all know exactly what to do for plants when it's cold. Down here, we don't really know what to do. So we're struggling tryna keep the plants alive when the temperature suddenly drops too deep...

And by the way, what plants do y'all recommend for butterflies? I love butterfly gardens that look "wild and untamed," you know?

Hey, y'all ever had sweet bread? Specifically Mexican sweet bread:
Screenshot_20240510-095956-032.png

This is a concha (translation: conch/shell). It's a bread with sugar on top. There are different types, like chocolate conchas, and I've seen yellow and even pink conchas.
Behind it is a churro. Delicious, filled with a sugary sweetness (I don't actually know what it's called)

And by the way, what plants do y'all recommend for butterflies? I love butterfly gardens that look "wild and untamed," you know?
I don't know if it will grow in Texas but here buddleia is known as the 'butterfly plant' - they love it. Also lavender and aster flowers. Weeds are good. We have a no-mow rule in the UK in May-June to help butterflies, bees and other insect populations recover (a lot of idiots ignore it tho. As for me I'm pretty good at not mowing year round 😅 )

I don't know if it will grow in Texas but here buddleia is known as the 'butterfly plant' - they love it. Also lavender and aster flowers. Weeds are good. We have a no-mow rule in the UK in May-June to help butterflies, bees and other insect populations recover (a lot of idiots ignore it tho. As for me I'm pretty good at not mowing year round 😅 )
If it does well in humidity and heat and swamps, it should be good...
And yeah, we don't have a no-mow rule (as far as I know), but it probably doesn't matter too much because there are so many abandoned lots that get overgrown anyways

View attachment 392524
This is a concha (translation: conch/shell). It's a bread with sugar on top. There are different types, like chocolate conchas, and I've seen yellow and even pink conchas.
Behind it is a churro. Delicious, filled with a sugary sweetness (I don't actually know what it's called)
Yes but a different name for a sweet bread

20276296_side_a01_@2.png

Why is there so much sugar in normal bread 😂

View attachment 392524
I've learned it as Pan Dulce, is that the same or a different thing lol? Never had it but it looks so good!
I think the advantage to living up north is that y'all know exactly what to do for plants when it's cold. Down here, we don't really know what to do. So we're struggling tryna keep the plants alive when the temperature suddenly drops too deep...

Monarchs (from what I know) only lay eggs on Milkweed plants. I have some in my yard but we haven't had any caterpillars in a couple of years. I see the butterflies but they never lay on my plants anymore.

I've learned it as Pan Dulce, is that the same or a different thing lol? Never had it but it looks so good!
Yeah, same thing. I just call it Mexican sweet bread when I speak English and pan dulce when I'm speaking Spanish
Monarchs (from what I know) only lay eggs on Milkweed plants. I have some in my yard but we haven't had any caterpillars in a couple of years. I see the butterflies but they never lay on my plants anymore.
We used to have milkweed. A couple weeks later, so many caterpillars and cocoons. It was amazing
Yes but a different name for a sweet bread

View attachment 392525
Why is there so much sugar in normal bread 😂
Hey, you can make cinnamon toast with it. Golly, now I want some cinnamon toast

Actually, I don't like white hats. I usually go with brown. My current hat is tan, but not Stetson ($500 for a hat? No thanks)
You guys got me in a western mood! Actually I've been toying with the idea of writing a play/musical western, maybe something about the construction of the transcontinental railway? Not completely sold on the idea but it could be worth a shot

You guys got me in a western mood! Actually I've been toying with the idea of writing a play/musical western, maybe something about the construction of the transcontinental railway? Not completely sold on the idea but it could be worth a shot
Check out steampunk. It's one of my favorite genres...
And of course, Rango

lavender, beebalm, lilac, wisteria,and coneflowers are massive attractors for hummingbirds, butterflies, bees, and other insects

Top Bottom