So, frame-rates since the patch, how are yours?

There was a certain settlement, an agricultural one with three hab buildings near the pad and a long way from the main buildings, which used to slow to a slideshow at a certain place near those hab buildings for some unknown reason.
Just been to one and it still slowed down there but was at least playable.
Oddly I went a mission at one of these problem settlements last night and it ran at a constantly playable 35FPS throughout the settlement with no spikes or stuttering.

I'm also getting around 50FPS in burning buildings now, which used to be an issue. Only just tried one the first time since the patch just now.

Edit, second burning settelment more like 30 FPS droppping to 15-20 near both steam vents and fire together, still better than before.

PC had it's tenth birthday in september (bought it to play the upcoming skyrim) had a GTX 970 and more RAM since then

Edit again, a third, 30 FPS at this one, actually looking for a bloody populated one for a mission....

Last edited:
I take those statements with a very large pinch of salt. If someone is trying to run a game on an i3 and a 1060, they likely don't have many contemporary points of comparison.

Here is some more added salt.

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Nvidea GTX 1050 2gb
16gb of ram.

On ultra at 1080p I'm getting between 20-25fps in settlements. It will drop down to 15 when there is NPC's and fire.

It's clearly not a hardware issue. The engine is borked.

In sane games, 120fps. In Odyssey concourse, typically 60. In Odyssey at surface settlements, between 0 and 50; if the taxi is arriving, it drops to around 5, and may not recover for over 20 seconds. Not so great when you're trying to get away from skimmers shooting at you. As for what it's doing in all that time it isn't showing me updates? I've no idea.

I take those statements with a very large pinch of salt. If someone is trying to run a game on an i3 and a 1060, they likely don't have many contemporary points of comparison.
Also depends on what the user considers "good performance."

I've seen people who report "great performance," only to find out that when pressed for more detail, they say they are getting like 25fps on average in some areas.

So for one person, "great performance" is 60-100fps, for someone else it could be 20-25.

I did a few missions yesterday... when I landed at a settlement I had about 2-3 seconds of complete freeze, then the game caught up with itself (it was seriously fast) and then went back to "normal" FPS drops between 10-20. And only after that did it stabilize at around 40.

This is with a Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6800 XT, 32 GB RAM mind you.

Also depends on what the user considers "good performance."

I've seen people who report "great performance," only to find out that when pressed for more detail, they say they are getting like 25fps on average in some areas.

So for one person, "great performance" is 60-100fps, for someone else it could be 20-25.

For me great is over 60 fps
Over 30 fps is acceptable - and even at 30 fps i can rock any high cz without any issues.

This is disappointing to hear but not unexpected.

I've been waiting for Odyssey to get proper optimisation before I buy it...update 8 was the one I was waiting for, looks like I'm going to be waiting for a while longer.

After 3 years of development...IMO there is a very real possibility that it'll never be properly optimised.

I don't have any other games nor even benchmarking software that runs as poorly as Odyssey on my computer regarding performance, so it's tough to compare it. That being said, I prefer at least 60 FPS for vsync so I don't have screen tearing and so that my GPUs aren't fully loaded.

If your GPUs aren't fully loaded, you spent too much money :p
I don't use them just for games. Sometimes I'll have them crunching in the background while playing games too.
But yeah, I probably did spend too much money. No need to up the electrical bill more than it needs to be! :D

Last edited:
Separate perhaps, but there is a definate correlation. I have seen it in several settlements now. Whenever I find a 'ghost' NPC that cannot be found on the grounds, per is awful. I even had a case where after I shut the power off, the NPC appeared and the perf was then 60+ from there after.

A difficult bug to repro for sure, but there is absolutely some link there.
So turns out you were correct. The perf has massively improved at that site since the navmesh/rock scatter fix today.
Well done team. o7

Generally better most gameplay is steady around what I was getting in Horizons (though I am only talking about on a 75hz monitor at 2560x1080 resolution on max settings), but some settlements and areas within just obliterate the framerates... Seemingly random. It all boils down I think to the fact Odyssey was still about a year away from being really ready at launch.

I'm currently getting a range of 30-100 FPS on non atmospheric planets and settlements, but for Atmospheric planets and settlements I get a nasty drop from 144 to like 2 or 3 then it stutters for a second and goes to about 40 and below.

In Hangar, around 95-130 FPS, in the stations concourse it ranges from 50-80.

In space, supercruise stuff like that it's always pretty much a solid 144 and maybe dips to 140 here and there.

Ryzen 7 3700x
16GB Trident Z 3200
Radeon RX 580 8GB

I am so happy! Before this patch this morning, I'd drop to single digits and stutter so hard at a settlement.

After: 60-90 FPS SOLID, no drops. No stuttering. No hang time. This is on Ultra+ and everything on Ultra. Will try ground CZs and combat-related missions later and check back in.

RTX 2070

i5 9600k

16GB RAM

No, still 34 FPS for me versus about 258 FPS in Horizons, full-screen.
Where though?
258 sounds like FSS for me, while 34 sounds like standing on the surface (at a so-so rate (often get 50+)).
And that's in Ultra, 1920x1080, on a 1080.
When Odyssey is running well, in-ship gives me 60-100 near the surface, 150-220 in space. On foot is all over the place, but often 40-150 (in the black), depending on my surroundings and where I'm looking. SRV is somewhere in between.
When things start going badly, ship FPS drops to 15-20, worst case (at which time I'll restart the game if "convenient").

Main menu hanger. Easiest way for me to quickly and consistently compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
Main menu hanger. Easiest way for me to quickly and consistently compare apples to apples.
At least that's consistent.
However, Odyssey's hangar seems to have more detail, so I'm not so sure about the apples to apples.
For comparison, I usually get about 110fps there.

And...
No, still 34 FPS for me versus about 258 FPS in Horizons, full-screen.

Maybe next time... 😒
I've got all my settings up and get 40-50 fps in a mining settlement. This is acceptable to me, IMO. No stuttering, no drops below 30 FPS.

Top Bottom