So there’s currently a Cmdr stuck in the slot, station defences having no affect, assumed he’s proving a point about cheats...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Sadly, it is in the case of 'Naming & Shaming'
In this case the cheating was made public by intention, so a permaban was issued but AFAIK not made public by FD.
Rather than defame the developers for 'saying nothing' (as is the hue & cry here) bar admitting the fact that they are aware of the issue, why not wait and see, I doubt they are in panic mode :) It is a bit like demanding any Security centred organisation tell you how many 'Black Hats' they have uncovered and how...

silence is a good move if you can make it count. we will see :D

btw, naming & shaming is completely unrelated to frontier giving us comprehensive explanation about the cheating issue in general. they must be seeing that what they have told us so far just doesn't cut it. they have also missed an excellent opportunity to turn this event upside down by showing sympathy, possibly even thanking this player publicly and use that and a few bones thrown (not much!) to make good with the community. it was a pretty obvious move, right? but no

so, either they do have a magic solution ready and just waiting for the perfect moment (that's what you convey when you are silent) or ... they are clueless and in panic. booooh! :D

(or they are just that stupid! i hope not!)

Without putting forth names, would it really hurt FD to post here once per week:

xx number of players were caught cheating this week.
xx number of those players were shadow-banned for a month.
xx number of those players were shadow-banned for three months.
xx number of those players were banned to the shadow universe permanently.

Please don't cheat. It's not nice. We'll be watching.

Would it REALLY hurt them to do this?
At the very least it would show they're doing something about it.

Two problems with this:
1. There's probably not a lot of people still playing ED, so the numbers would probably be very unimpressive.
2. If you witness cheating first hand, knowing that some other unspecified cheater got caught will not really help fix your perception that the game is full of cheaters.

2. If you witness cheating first hand, knowing that some other unspecified cheater got caught will not really help fix your perception that the game is full of cheaters.

indeed. people keep fixated in that a high penalty is deterrent enough by itself. it isn't, what's relevant is the perception that there will be a penalty and that the system isn't arbitrary. if it is, people will usually think they will be the ones to get away with it. if that's true or not is irrelevant, the deterrent has already failed.

just asking for higher penalties for whatever is typical mob clueless emotional reaction. makes matters only worse.

Without putting forth names, would it really hurt FD to post here once per week:

It would, yeah.

There's not a way to verify it and it serves to reinforce, and advertise, the fact that there are working cheats out there for the game. Remember that not all players share the same points of contact in the game (IE: not everyone hits the forums, or reddit, or follows their twitter, etc.) and do not all have the same awareness of what's out there in terms of cheats.

Basically, FDev is now behind the ball, and looks like they're getting further behind it, and this suggestion has a significantly greater than zero chance of increasing the number of folks using cheats.

If they do that there's no way to win, so I completely understand why they don't.

If the number is low the community will say: see, they don't actively punish cheating

If the number is high the community will say: see, Elite is full of cheaters

Now on page 19 and no comment from Fdev - Your are flogging a dead horse, best you can expect is a EULA copy paste.

Seriously leave the cheats to it...

Honestly, yes. It probably would.

No dev' is ever going to be completely forthright about the proliferation of cheating in their game.

How about some sort of third party authentication when logging in such as a code texted to your cellphone? That would eliminate possibilities of camouflaging accounts as most people won’t own multiple phones just so they can have secret ED accounts?

How about some sort of third party authentication when logging in such as a code texted to your cellphone? That would eliminate possibilities of camouflaging accounts as most people won’t own multiple phones just so they can have secret ED accounts?

Both Twitter and Instagram do this for API calls when connecting to third party apps

Eh how about lol no. I don't do cell phones and if I did have one would not give the number to a gaming company, microsoft or anyone else else of that nature.

Deleted member 110222

D
So now you think we should give FD our phone numbers?

Hell no dude, you are what's wrong with this big brother society.

So now you think we should give FD our phone numbers?

Hell no dude, you are what's wrong with this big brother society.

Indeed...what's next maybe give them your social security number, green card number, fingerprints and dna sample while we are at it.

Some people need to just get over it, you wouldn't think people are all shocked and amazed that, in 2019, OMG some people cheat and hack in video games...whod wud a thort it heh lolz

yes but if SONY or Microsoft caught wind, they'll just outright ban the console from being able to connect to PSN pretty much forcing them to buy another console.

That's news to me. There is no obligation that I know of that requires you to actually use legally authentic credentials. Which can be changed at the drop of a dime. E.g. I created an account while I was visiting France, stayed for 2 months. I didnt think anything of it and just used a random name. The reason for creating the account escapes me but two years later I actually moved to France and made the account legit by linking bank cards, real name and my new billing address so that i can purchase digital items without having to buy USD gift cards.

Last edited:
Two problems with this:
1. There's probably not a lot of people still playing ED, so the numbers would probably be very unimpressive.
If they do that there's no way to win, so I completely understand why they don't.
If the number is low the community will say: see, they don't actively punish cheating
If the number is high the community will say: see, Elite is full of cheaters

I do appreciate and respect all the other responses to my post and appreciate the feedback. As a player who really, really hesitated to dip my foot into my very first ever MMO due to the perception of a galaxy full of possible cheaters, gankers, bullies, I know that FD is not actually going to state "this week, we grabbed x number of cheaters, threw them too the floor and slapped them thusly, then threw them to the floor again for good measure."

However, the "damned if you do and damned if you don't" approach doesn't actually help. No, players won't assume the game is "full of cheaters" if the number is high. What would help someone like me is seeing an originally high number dropping to very low numbers very quickly. What that does is tell someone like me that they're (1) reacting to the reports of cheating (2) doing something about it; and (3) it's having a positive effect by enforcing the rules. It's nice to have a referee on the field. It's nicer if you see them throw that yellow flag when needed.

I just want to hear are that complaints are actually being heard; that they're taking action. I think we should hear about it here.

It would also be nice to hear someone reporting from the HaKoR FoRuMs that there are cries of anguish and gnashing of teeth as their cheat programs are being caught, resulting in banned accounts (even by IP addresses). I would also like to hear FD suing the developer of the cheat programs into oblivion.

Even a simple response of "Thanks for your report. We have dealt with this issue." would be better than silence.

I think that's what the guy with the ship in the doorway was asking for.

Doesn't the "ignore" feature do a lot toward ensuring you don't instance with known cheaters?

Since the game is P2P, is IP banning even possible?

I feel like a lot of misunderstanding of the game architecture fuels some of the expectations here. This is a game that's been out what, almost 5 years? Does anyone believe that suddenly the developer is going to change their approach to game moderation because one person did something in open?

Doesn't the "ignore" feature do a lot toward ensuring you don't instance with known cheaters?

Since the game is P2P, is IP banning even possible?

I feel like a lot of misunderstanding of the game architecture fuels some of the expectations here. This is a game that's been out what, almost 5 years? Does anyone believe that suddenly the developer is going to change their approach to game moderation because one person did something in open?
I expect that they are doing the same thing they did last time: Create a tool that detects the cheat software and ban everyone stupid enough to use it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom