So... why are they shooting at me?

So, I took on a mission to go collect some papers from a planetary outpost. Fair enough. I land, and start walking around, just exploring. I notice my suit (FLIGHT suit, there's no battle suits avaiable anywhere near me) is using power even in the habitat... so I use one of the charging units to power it up.

All of a sudden, everyone is shooting at me. WHY? I didn't do ANYTHING illegal.

So, I took on a mission to go collect some papers from a planetary outpost. Fair enough. I land, and start walking around, just exploring. I notice my suit (FLIGHT suit, there's no battle suits avaiable anywhere near me) is using power even in the habitat... so I use one of the charging units to power it up.

All of a sudden, everyone is shooting at me. WHY? I didn't do ANYTHING illegal.
You're not allowed to carry any tool or weapon. It's ok to charge up, just do it when no one can see you.

They do warn you, though... if you listen.

You're not allowed to carry any tool or weapon. It's ok to charge up, just do it when no one can see you.

They do warn you, though... if you listen.
Illegal to do something you HAVE to do to stay alive? What sense does THAT make?

Illegal to do something you HAVE to do to stay alive? What sense does THAT make?
It's just they don't like you waving your tools about. I think it's reasonable considering both of them can be used illegally and you're just a guest there who could very well use battery packs (which are legal to take freely) and can always just go back to your ship and recharge there.

It's also cool for game play reasons. That's the important bit.

Oh, and now I seem to be on a prison ship or something, with no way off since MY ship is back on that planet.

So, for doing NOTHING WRONG, I'm out another 44k?

This is idiotic.
Apex? Then recall.

You just found out you can't do something. It happens. Also, as I said.. they warn you. Maybe you missed that.

I heard no warnings. Nothing posted, either.

In any case, it makes NO sense. People need to power their suits. It's REQUIRED. It's like shooting someone trying to put gas in their car. It makes no SENSE.
It's there for game play though. You need to use that tool for nefarious reasons so you need to be very careful about when you carry it.

I like it. Obviously, you don't. But at least now you know, right? You'll never make that mistake again!

I was in a public space, getting a glass of water. Not the same thing at all, and NOT grounds to use deadly force.
Using the tool for its intended purpose shouldn't be grounds for assault. I mean, I specifically took the mission on the idea that it WASN'T illegal. Seems EVERY ground mission is going to call for illegal action, is that it?

It's just they don't like you waving your tools about. I think it's reasonable considering both of them can be used illegally and you're just a guest there who could very well use battery packs (which are legal to take freely) and can always just go back to your ship and recharge there.

It's also cool for game play reasons. That's the important bit.
That actually makes even less sense.

You're allowed to steal batteries in storage crates, but not plug your phone into the wall for a quick charge?

Looks like my situation too. Wasn't on a mission, simply checking out a tourist site. Running out of power then accidently hit the wrong button causing me to draw my weapon. Death came quickly after that. How about a little warning first? Something like "You have 10 seconds to put your weapon away before we cut you down"? Typical Elite contradictory logic: in space outside a station you get a warning, but planet-side and more vulnerable? Insta-death!

I was executed on a similar mission (threat level 0) after I walked through the door to the hab which opened as I approached - so no security - the whole base bum rushed me and I was swiss cheese in a jail cell in a couple of seconds ... which was nice.

They did shout a warning at which point I should have run rather than stand still as instructed - that decision just allowed them to get the first 10 shots in first when they opened fire 2 seconds later - at which point I started looking very closely at the floor.

That actually makes even less sense.

You're allowed to steal batteries in storage crates, but not plug your phone into the wall for a quick charge?
So I'm going to make this abundantly clear...

The game has magic shields and they blow you up for loitering. I don't really care if it makes sense or not. It does, however, make sense from a game play perspective. Just keep your tools hidden at all times and only use them when you need to. It's pretty basic stuff.

I was executed on a similar mission (threat level 0) after I walked through the door to the hab which opened as I approached - so no security - the whole base bum rushed me and I was swiss cheese in a jail cell in a couple of seconds ... which was nice.
You're allowed in a HAB unless you walk into the restricted area. If you did that and hang about...

Yeh they'll shoot you.

Seems EVERY ground mission is going to call for illegal action, is that it?
It's same outside of a mission, in fact. IA hate you and will find any reason to kill you. It's one of the very first isssue reported.
And in first alpha, it was even worst. You could be killed because you help to power up a settlement (the purpose of the mission) :D

I was in a public space, getting a glass of water. Not the same thing at all, and NOT grounds to use deadly force.
Using the tool for its intended purpose shouldn't be grounds for assault. I mean, I specifically took the mission on the idea that it WASN'T illegal. Seems EVERY ground mission is going to call for illegal action, is that it?
Bear in mind this is a game where the solution to being slow at parking a half billion credit starship is to blow it up, presumably killing everyone aboard except your commander...
Deadly force is the go to option in Elite.

Top Bottom