So... why are they shooting at me?

The moral of this story is preferred mode of transport to a foot mission is Apex - to save rebuy fees - and don't let anyone see you - ever - at all - not once!

It's still a question... if every mission is going to be to do something illegal... I won't be doing any missions.
So far, except for the ones where you kill someone that is clean, I was able to complete every "illegal" mission without getting detected and so without getting fined at all.

They can all be done this way. So long as they're not ones that involve killing (and even some of those aren't actually illegal, you can check the destination and if it's an anarchy settlement then you don't get any crime against you; i.e. any kill pirate faction type missions, but they shouldn't be listed as illegal in that case).

It's not a question of getting away with it. I don't break the law.
I didn't either until Odyssey. But it's just way too much fun to pass up on something due to some roleplay reason. For me though. You'll be extremely limited in mission types though, sadly. I don't think that's a good thing by the way, just stating the fact of it.

Way I see it, in Elite.. if you don't get caught and no one dies, is it really against the law? :D

So I'm going to make this abundantly clear...

The game has magic shields and they blow you up for loitering. I don't really care if it makes sense or not. It does, however, make sense from a game play perspective. Just keep your tools hidden at all times and only use them when you need to. It's pretty basic stuff.
They still give a 5(?) second warning for loitering. And that only makes sense for griefers who are trying to disrupt the game.

They still give a 5(?) second warning for loitering. And that only makes sense for griefers who are trying to disrupt the game.
You get warnings in these scenarios too (can prove that one if necessary...) And it makes sense because it means you need to take care when you do stuff in settlements. At the end of the day, that tool has three functions, two of which are illegal. So they're not allowed unless you're authorised to do so.

You're not authorised to do so. I don't get why there's this much discussion over something so simple. These settlements are privately owned. Just deal with the abstract concept that not everything needs to make sense to everyone and understand that it's just the way the game works. And at the end of the day, it's just something you need to be careful with when doing stuff. You're not allowed to use their charing ports because you're not authorised to wave your tool about.

That's it. It works fine.

You get warnings in these scenarios too (can prove that one if necessary...) And it makes sense because it means you need to take care when you do stuff in settlements. At the end of the day, that tool has three functions, two of which are illegal. So they're not allowed unless you're authorised to do so.

You're not authorised to do so. I don't get why there's this much discussion over something so simple. These settlements are privately owned. Just deal with the abstract concept that not everything needs to make sense to everyone and understand that it's just the way the game works. And at the end of the day, it's just something you need to be careful with when doing stuff. You're not allowed to use their charing ports because you're not authorised to wave your tool about.

That's it. It works fine.
In my case, I was just visiting a -> tourist site <- not on a mission. I was at a power-station because my suit was getting low. I accidently hit the "draw weapon" button and got, maybe, a 2 second warning. I re-holstered the weapon and was attacked anyway.

I mean, after all, tourists must follow the rules! :D

In my case, I was just visiting a -> tourist site <- not on a mission. I was at a power-station because my suit was getting low. I accidently hit the "draw weapon" button and got, maybe, a 2 second warning. I re-holstered the weapon and was attacked anyway.

I mean, after all, tourists must follow the rules! :D
In all the times I've been spotted and put it away I got away with it.

I think you need to be very fast. By the way, if this is the PWR at the tourist settlments where the landing pad is in the middle and the PWR is split off to one side opposite a bunch of HABs (and bars and billboards)... Are you 100% sure that PWR isn't restricted? Many are (all of them are inside the actual reactor room). If you get spotted in a restricted area, even if you run away quickly, you will frequently get attacked for it.

I walked into a bar in a tourist settlement - and somebody started shooting at me. Perhaps thats immersive, but a bit rough.

I didn’t hear any warnings, or see any popups. I’ll admit I could have missed something, but I did play the alpha and know that you need to watch out.

Since it was a one-time thing, I can’t say whether this was a bug.

Not saying my experience is king but I spent a shedton of time in settlements in alpha (and have done so again in the last two days) and the AI behaviour has always been consistent for me. Consistent based on the rules I worked out doing this stuff to death in the alpha, with some minor changes (like there are now warning indicators on the HUD when they are about to call for assistance after spotting you doing a crime).

I'm sure there are bugs. But I wouldn't wait too long for Fdev to change these rules. I personally think the whole game play loop is one of the best parts of the expansion which is why I tend to get invested when people start asking for it to be made easier (some aspects can use adjusting, I just don't agree with this specific one; it's not that hard to do but it does require some care and thought and timing and so I think it's a good part of the game - particularly the judgment about when to do it and the timing part!)

The game does have a bewildering list of rules but I don't think it's necessary to demand they change every time we get burned by one the first time we fall foul of it.

Last edited:
Did a mission to get an personal item. And when I leaving I got a fine that I hade shot at somebody. Back at ship someone is shooting at it and the ship is just shooting back... :(

Did a mission to get an personal item. And when I leaving I got a fine that I hade shot at somebody. Back at ship someone is shooting at it and the ship is just shooting back... :(
That sounds like a bug. And I've seen the settlement go red when I did nothing wrong too. This was in alpha and carried over to live and yes this should be fixed because it doesn't appear to be intended.

I walked into an establishment that I was allied to, went into the Habitat (HAB), a security NPC came down the steps and opened fire at me! Within seconds, everyone there was coming at me, and firing at me, my shields weren't on because all I was doing was walking into/around the HAB (in a 0 Level security area). I can tell you I wound up dead pretty quickly, but I hadn't done anything (I hadn't drawn a weapon, or tool, I had just walked in there).
The worst thing about this situation was that I ended up having a bounty of 500cr, which I paid, then got sent to a prison. It cost me 44,000+ to use the Apex Interstellar service, back to my ship. Once I got there, I was still wanted, and decided to pay another 500cr, but even then I had to get away from there as fast as I could because I was still wanted (I had to exit to the main menu, then return before the wanted cleared.
Sadly. The next time I got wanted and killed on the ground, I paid the 1500cr, went to prison, but upon getting back to my ship, it was the same problem as the one that I mentioned above. :(

I walked into an establishment that I was allied to, went into the Habitat (HAB), a security NPC came down the steps and opened fire at me! Within seconds, everyone there was coming at me, and firing at me, my shields weren't on because all I was doing was walking into/around the HAB (in a 0 Level security area). I can tell you I wound up dead pretty quickly, but I hadn't done anything (I hadn't drawn a weapon, or tool, I had just walked in there).
The worst thing about this situation was that I ended up having a bounty of 500cr, which I paid, then got sent to a prison. It cost me 44,000+ to use the Apex Interstellar service, back to my ship. Once I got there, I was still wanted, and decided to pay another 500cr, but even then I had to get away from there as fast as I could because I was still wanted (I had to exit to the main menu, then return before the wanted cleared.
Sadly. The next time I got wanted and killed on the ground, I paid the 1500cr, went to prison, but upon getting back to my ship, it was the same problem as the one that I mentioned above. :(
What settlement type was it? HABs frequently have restricted areas inside them. A guard see you in one of those then you're toast.

What settlement type was it? HABs frequently have restricted areas inside them. A guard see you in one of those then you're toast.
Not sure. But how can it be restricted if the security in the area is Level 0 (which has meant that anyone can enter at every other place I've been to, including in the Alpha)?

Upstairs, there is usually higher security areas, but I was not far past the entry into the HAB

Top Bottom