Some performance tweaks/fixes

[18/03/2021] : Version 0.9 : GitHub Link
Changes
: - Fixed options to disable reflections shaders in update 11
- The "outdoor reflections" shader now seems to control reflections in indoor shop windows (SHIFT+F4 key in the mod)
- The "Indoor reflections" shader now seems to control only some transparent textures. I use this one to disable the red transparent textures (SHIFT+F3 key in the mod)

Performance gains will be lower as the reflections shaders have been improved in the last EDO updates.
Fire/smoke effect performance tweak does not seem needed anymore (when using FX quality on OFF/LOW (see down below))

Plugin available for EDHM UI App users
(also available on EDHM discord). Only usefull for EDHM users

Original Issue tracker link: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/37048

Some fire/smoke effect performance problem if using FX Quality on Off/Low
Some fires/smokes have a huge performance impact if using FX Quality on Off/Low (or global settings on Low).
This does not seem needed since update 11.

You have two solutions :
1. Set FX Quality to Medium or higher
2. Edit the file GraphicsConfigurationOverride.xml in the folder %LocalAppData%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics so it looks like this :
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> <GraphicsConfig> <ParticleEffects> <Low> <LightAtlasResolution>512</LightAtlasResolution> </Low> </ParticleEffects> </GraphicsConfig>

Disabling shader effects
(Helmet/breath, indoor/outdoor reflections, screenglare)

The reflection shaders are the most problematic. There's one for indoor buildings/concourse and one for outdoor (the outdoor one is used when you look outside from a concourse/settlement building.). The other ones are more about quality of life :)

Instructions :
  1. Download 3Dmigoto (1.3.16 is the last version) : https://github.com/bo3b/3Dmigoto/releases/download/1.3.16/3Dmigoto-1.3.16.zip
  2. Unzip the file
  3. Copy the following files from the x64 folder, to your Elite folder
    Standalone: [Elite install folder]\Products\elite-dangerous-odyssey-64\
    Steam : [steam install folder]\steamapps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-odyssey-64)
    • d3d11.dll
    • d3dcompiler_46.dll
    • nvapi64.dll
    • uninstall.bat (this one is optional but it allows you to remove 3Dmigoto easily)
  4. Get the mod from the GitHub release page (https://github.com/MrVaad/ED-Odyssey-Perf-And-QoL/releases)
  5. Unzip the file
  6. Copy the d3dx.ini to the same Elite folder.
Usage :
SHIFT+F1 enable/disable the helmet and breath effect (in first person view)
SHIFT+F2 enable/disable the screenglare effect
SHIFT+F3 enable/disable the indoor glass shader effect (windows, guardrails, glasses, mission consoles, other consoles)
SHIFT+F4 enable/disable the outdoor glass shader effect (used when you look outside in a concourse/settlement building)

SHIFT+F11 reload the config file d3dx.ini

Editing d3dX.ini
To enable/disable the shaders by default, change the lines in the 'INITIAL VALUES' section in d3dx.ini (xxx=1 or xxx=0)
Remove the shader hotkeys section if you don't want to use the hotkeys.

Is Frontier Ok with this ?
3Dmigoto is used by a lot of mods, including some Elite mods like EDHM from GeorjCostanza and the "Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod" from Old Duck

From what i saw in EDHM's post, Cmdr Exigeous asked FDEV about EDHM usage (which uses 3Dmigoto) and the response was :
"FDev are fine with the mod so long as it doesn't provide an advantage over other players, or mod their ARX-related assets"

As i'm only disabling the helmet/reflections/screenglare shaders, I think it does not provide any advantage to players.

Some Quick graphic settings performance infos (in progress)
I've done a lot of tests but so far, the most intensive settings are
  1. Game resolution
  2. Terrain Material Quality
  3. Shadows quality
  4. FX Quality
  5. Ambient Occlusion
I'm playing at 1080p in game. Upscaled to the 1440p of my monitor, using the Nvidia driver.
Follow these instructions How to Enable GPU Upscale. Nvidia Official Instructions (check GPU scaling in image sharpening)

Terrain material quality seems to be the worst graphic setting on my GTX 1080.
On Medium, FX is more intensive than shadows. On HIGH/ULTRA, shadows are more intensive.
On High, FX Quality can be very intensive with some specific effects (fire for example)

Keep in mind that settings have a very different impact depending on where you are in the game (and the size of the settlement on planets).

I hope this will help you :cool:

Last edited:
Some screenshots (Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1080)

Before in front of a concourse shop : 100% GPU usage, fps drops if i move closer (colors are a little washed out as i was working on the crushed blacks with elite's xmls) :
GPU usage lowers is you move further from the window.
before.jpg

After : 65% GPU usage, fps does not drop if i move closer
after.jpg

Last edited:
people mistake poor systems/dirty google habits with bad dev skills.. shame on you sinners.
edit sorry when i look like a D*** but we are talking about people who make their living here and well hmmm people seems to be prone to make mistakes/errors or well be not perfect,,, let alone their products.

I myself make errors on a to regular basis and i do not expect anyone here one the forums to be any better me

Again sorry i am as anybody else here only human. 😊

Last edited:
Some screenshots (Ryzen 5 2600, GTX 1080)

Before in front of a concourse shop : 100% GPU usage, fps drops if i move closer (color are a little washed out as i was working on the crushed blacks with elite's xmls) :
GPU usage lowers is you move further from the window.

After : 65% GPU usage, fps does not drop if i move closer
Thank you for taking the time to actually do some testing and try to solve some issues for a large section of the community, instead of just digging your head in the sand and classing all those who are having problems as sinners.

Thank you for taking the time to actually do some testing and try to solve some issues for a large section of the community, instead of just digging your head in the sand and classing all those who are having problems as sinners.
i must be lucky or just doing something wrong. But its just not okay to insult (or call them what ever is trending here on the forums) people who make a living out of creating games.. They have to families feed but just because their mistakes are more visible (to the general public) then ours does not make them worse then us.

i am curious who is without any mistakes here on the boards and get a monthly pay. Just calm down when dealing with peoples life and incomes. bleh i don't want to be rude

quote me when ever needed.. i am never to proud to apologize. the only thing i need is an income to provide my family with food and security and i even apologize for that, and my bad spelling as well :)

edit schmedit

Last edited:
i must be lucky or just doing something wrong. But its just not okay to insult (or call them what ever is trending here on the forums) people who make a living out of creating games.. They have to families feed but just because their mistakes are more visible (to the general public) then ours does not make them worse then us.

i am curious who is without any mistakes here on the boards and get a monthly pay. Just calm down when dealing with peoples life and incomes. bleh i don't want to be rude
No one has insulted or called any of the staff anything here. I see one post stating its a shame they don't have the skills to make something similar at this time, which is not an insult or name calling at all, its just stating the facts. If they were able to, the game would have been fixed by now. I am sure it will be in time, but right now it is not optimized and this tool helps to alleviate that problem for some people.

well not trusting then on anything is implying they are
I wouldn't trust a word from them anyways, better to just try it yourself and see if you see any change.

well not trusting then on their word is implying they are liars.. hmm okay not insulting at all.

Why would you make such a bold statement on people you don't even know? They might even sleep bad on this whole affair.

well not trusting then on anything is implying they are

well not trusting then on their word is implying they are liars.. hmm okay not insulting at all.

Why would you make such a bold statement on people you don't even know? They might even sleep bad on this whole affair.
If you have not kept up with the developments from alpha until now I don't expect you to understand. Its not really worth argueing about maybe we are still playing the trunk build from alpha and the switch will be flipped some day. I doubt it. I don't expect you to agree with me or even understand why so many people feel lied to ( and no, I am not speaking for the whole of the playerbase but it is clear on these forums that many feel as though they were lied to) that is not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to get the game working as best as possible for as many people as possible, and I will not detract from it any further.

I understand how people feel but its about a game for us and that's is important for all of us but... for them it is a way of making a living. I see 40 euros is not a small amount of money but it isn't a mortgage.. for the people at FD it is.

Be thankful they are not in charge of the NATO ;) (speaking of bad deals n stuff)

And like you i also want this game to shine.

For anyone else who may be having problems getting the d3dx file to save as INI, you may want to try opening the file via notepad saving as, selecting all file types and then renaming it to options.ini and saving. Then go back and rename the file to d3dx and it will work. This is what I had to do to get it to save in the proper format.

F5 will enable/disable the galaxy stars brightness (works in tutorial, doesn't have an effect on all planets, need to test in space) F6 will enable/disable the galaxy clouds/nebulae (works in tutorial, doesn't have an effect on all planets, need to test in space)
Tested F5 in space. No noticeable change in star brightness. Tested F6 in space and it did work, turning shaders of galaxy dust/nebulae and even andromeda galaxy off.

I am capped at 60 right now, since I am outside of VR. So I have no idea on the impact of performance these would provide in space, because right now I am still able to get a stable 60 while in space for the most part. Will update more performance changes once I am back in the bubble. If there is any info you would like, or anything you would like tested please let me know I am willing to help.

All these effects are only used when on foot. Except the galaxy/nebulae dust which is used in ship and on foot.
You can check the following situations :

TestLocations
in front of a mission consoleconcourse
looking though the red glass of a guardrailconcourse, not sure if settlements have them
indoor, looking inside, through a windowconcourse/settlement
indoor, looking outsideconcourse/settlement. It seems space outpost concourses are not impacted much (not many objects outside)
outside, looking inside a buildingsettlement

The impact is higher,the closer your are to the window/guardrail.
Windows used in ceilings are also impacted (indoor and outdoor).

I have not looked into space performance, i had the impression that there's no big problems there.

Last edited:
All these effects are only used when on foot. Except the galaxy/nebulae dust which is used in ship and on foot.
You can check the following situations :

TestLocations
in front of a mission consoleconcourse
looking though the red glass of a guardrailconcourse, not sure if settlements have them
indoor, looking inside, through a windowconcourse/settlement
indoor, looking outsideconcourse/settlement. It seems space outpost concourses are not impacted much (not many objects outside)
outside, looking inside a buildingsettlement

The impact is higher,the closer your are to the window/guardrail. Windows used in ceilings are also impacted (indoor and outdoor).

I have not looked into space performance, i had the impression that there's no big problems there.
Thanks for your hard work - I'll give it a try, and see how I get on. In my experience, you are totally correct - space performance is fine.
On planet is bad. E.g - I can get 120+ in space and anything from 35-50 on the planet.

For anyone else who may be having problems getting the d3dx file to save as INI, you may want to try opening the file via notepad saving as, selecting all file types and then renaming it to options.ini and saving. Then go back and rename the file to d3dx and it will work. This is what I had to do to get it to save in the proper format.
I can put the ini file in a zip if it's easier for everyone ?
We can't put ini files in attachment :rolleyes:

Top Bottom