Spring 2024 DLC Speculation

I think the idea of breeding your own lifestock as part of the management is an interesting one. But i feel one runs into alot of problems thinking about it a little more. Quick and uneducated math with numbers i found in a 2 min google search: The average pig yields about 65kg of meat and a lion needs 3,5kg of meat a day, so a zoo with 5 lions would need about 2 pigs per week for the lions alone.
So in game that would lead to multiple options:
A: You need to establish one nightmare of a mass meat production, to safe space and money to actually build your zoo
B: You need to dedicate like half of your zoo to breeding lifestock in an ethical way
C: Spend mad money buying the meat to feed your animals, since id would need be way more expensive than breeding your own to make going through the whole thing even worth in the first place.
D: Hope the whole system is tuned way down so a single pig can sustain your whole zoo for a while

Option A is out of the question, i think everybody can agree on that. It would feel completely out of place in Planet Zoo and would certainly summon an outcry in the player base.
Option B i also cant really see happening since i dont think that most people are into that or looking for doing it in a zoo game
C i guess could work and would be probably what most people would do. Which leaves D as the by a long mile most likely one.
Although im still pretty convinced that Frontier wouldnt add a system like that in the first place and i think the current way where the food is conjured out of thin air works best for a Zoo game.
Plus starting with something like this would lead you down a rabbit hole of also breeding feeder mice, rats and insects as food for various small animals like snakes, meerkats and lizards ontop of producing all the veggies and greens needed to sustain the whole lifestock operation and to feed the herbivorous zoo animals.
nah you would need less pigs than that - factor in that 65kg is only the human grade meat yield that would make it to the butcher (dress weight) and not the skeleton and organs and offal that a lion could eat. (actual weight) theres a lot of lard too that would likely be unhealthy for a lion but the actual consumable amount for a lion is more around 200+kg per adult pig. pigs typically reach 225-350kg depending on breed, gender, diet, activity level, and age. side note - the fat is why most zoos tend to use horses, goats, or something else as high fat can cause pancreas issues in predators

slightly off topic question, but if we hadn’t got the capuchin how requested do you think it would be?
Idk probaly in the top 10 SA monkeys, but at the lower end at 6-10 would be my guess. Also depends on what would be in the SA pack instead.
Capuchins are probably the most well known south american monkeys due to their prevelance in movies, like night at the museum and pirates of the caribbean. So i think there would be decent demand for one.

nah you would need less pigs than that - factor in that 65kg is only the human grade meat yield that would make it to the butcher (dress weight) and not the skeleton and organs and offal that a lion could eat. (actual weight) theres a lot of lard too that would likely be unhealthy for a lion but the actual consumable amount for a lion is more around 200+kg per adult pig. pigs typically reach 225-350kg depending on breed, gender, diet, activity level, and age. side note - the fat is why most zoos tend to use horses, goats, or something else as high fat can cause pancreas issues in predators
Oh yeah that makes sense

slightly off topic question, but if we hadn’t got the capuchin how requested do you think it would be?
I feel like it'd be considered the nominate South American monkey species. If it was never added, I'd wager it'd be in the Top 5 most requested animals of all time, replacing the howler.
It's an interesting thought exercise, thinking where animals already in the game would fair amongst the community desires, if weren't already in the game. Not your ABC zoo icons (lion, giraffe, zebra, tiger, bear, gorilla, that would be ridiculous), but folks like snow leopards or cassowaries or tapirs - not necessarily known by the general public, but zoo staples and faves amongst animal fanatics.

Ok y'all, just watched the new Kung Fu Panda movie, and our boy the GSNM was in it! It's a sign!!!

View attachment 386128
You know what other movie came out recently?
IMG_4008.jpeg

I feel like it'd be considered the nominate South American monkey species. If it was never added, I'd wager it'd be in the Top 5 most requested animals of all time, replacing the howler.
It's an interesting thought exercise, thinking where animals already in the game would fair amongst the community desires, if weren't already in the game. Not your ABC zoo icons (lion, giraffe, zebra, tiger, bear, gorilla, that would be ridiculous), but folks like snow leopards or cassowaries or tapirs - not necessarily known by the general public, but zoo staples and faves amongst animal fanatics.
That reminds me a lot about the capybara, it was so requested the Wetlands pack was huge! Not an ABC zoo animal but way too popular to not make it in game.

That reminds me a lot about the capybara, it was so requested the Wetlands pack was huge! Not an ABC zoo animal but way too popular to not make it in game.
The Capybara is the one animal I would consider the poster child for what community support can do to get an animal in the game. Definitely not an ABC animal as you say, and I wouldn't even think they'd be popular enough to make it into a base game, but by the time of the Wetlands pack, it seemed like nearly the entire forum was united in efforts and wants to get our giant rodent friend in the game. Like, there was absolutely no way Frontier could ignore it at that point.

You know what other movie came out recently?
View attachment 386144
Also a looney tones movie is coming in the fall with Daffy in it! It just makes me ask myself what kind of duck do I want in the next dlc? So many choices! These are my top 3/4:

1. Mallard, basic choice but I think that’s what makes it so usable. Can be replaced with other NA ducks like the ruddy or wood duck. The issue is the mallard has such range it’s hard to pick over it on representation alone.
  2. Mandarin, the basic exotic pretty duck. Can’t be beat.
  3. White faced Whistling, I’ve made my case on it before. Africa and South America representation perfect indoor rainforest duck.

Bonus ducks:
  1. Any teal
  2. African Pygmy goose
  3. Goldeneye or Bufflehead
  4. A merganser
  5. Northern Shoveler could work as another duck native to Europe and NA
  6. Harlequin duck
  7. Common eider

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the next pack is going to be an Amazon rainforest (animal) pack. So, which Amazon monkey would you love to get assuming we just get 1 money in such a pack? I choose the howler monkey.

If i could choose just one id choose either a spider monkey or a tamarin.
Both would need some extra effort to pull of and both modders and frontier could easily reuse that baseline for further releases.
If they ho through the trouble of creating a functional spider monkey rig i cant see them not duplicate that just like with the gibbons.

My prefered two species would be geoffreys spider monkey with the most holdings worldwide and beautiful colormix of brown, black and Gold and the redfaced spider monkey for adding a black variant with a striking face and among the next most common in south america with 31 international holdings, 14 of those being south american, but also 2 asisn and 1 african zoo with the rest scatterd around europe and NA
Ateles geoffroyi.jpg

Schwarzer Klammeraffe 1 Romagne.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom