Star Citizen Discussion Thread v11

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Indeed, but one would expect a real legal person to be reviewing any sorts of communications involving refunds.

This leads us to two possible conclusions. a) the poster is lying, which is i presume the opinion held by some backers or b) CIG don't vet their communications regarding refunds, which would imply a level of incompetence on their part.

Yeah, considering CIG's history and Sandi's famous emails with Beet Wagon, and while maintaining some level of skepticism over the poster's post, i'll suspect it is B.
Of course you do ;)

I get it and I fully agree...but there's an element similar to resetting your account in Elite there too from my point of view...having done it. Even reduced to a basic sidewinder and 1k credits, I can make it to an A rated Cobra3 in less than a day where as random new guy, without help simply can't do it. I know where and what to trade, what to do and I'm competent enough in a scrap to go farm bounties...I'd be the same in SC.

I'd have loved to have started out in SC with a stock ship and made my way up over the years I've played to where I am ship..and credit wise now. That was never going to happen given the money grabbing delaying tactics of Ci¬G. I've simply added ships I would have purchased in game with in game currency had there been any persistence...much the same as I did in Elite over the 5,500 hours I spent on 2 platforms playing it.

I don't see my few ships and relatively small amount of UEC as a starting advantage...more like where I would have been given the amount of time I've been involved in the PU, regardless of the actual $ spent on my side.

Playing the ship invested advantage over the new $50 backers doesn't work...I'd still have an advantage regardless.

I dunno man, to me that just suggests you just have a double advantage :D

Sure, the alpha experience you have means you'd outplay a noob even given the same resources. So you have that, plus... the mechanical & material advantages that the ship / cred purchases get you. I don't really think one cancels out the other ;)

(As others have noted, the other distinction from ED is that both you and the noob could head off into Solo and dodge a big slice of the P2W implications.)

I mean, this is a very rough estimate, but as things stand the backer landscape looks like:

Accounts: 2,500k. [But Turbulent reckons only 50% have bought anything, so...]
Backer Accounts: 1,250k
Funds Raised: $265m

Expenditure per backer: $212 [approx]

Of course it's more complicated than that, with the whales weighting things heavily, and numerous vanilla accounts doubtless amongst those backers. But it still gives you an idea of the level of bought advantage sitting waiting for launch day, vs players rocking up with their $45 Aurora...

Last edited:
I had the $30ish "bounty hunter" (yes imagine bounty hunting NOW in a..) 300i package, yeah came with the plastic card I'm an OG backer. I was there struggling to get the website to load to back the damn thing.

I dunno man, to me that just suggests you just have a double advantage :D

Sure, the alpha experience you have means you'd outplay a noob even given the same resources. So you have that, plus... the mechanical & material advantages that the ship / cred purchases get you. I don't really think one cancels out the other ;)

(As others have noted, the other distinction from ED is that both you and the noob could head off into Solo and dodge a big slice of the P2W implications.)

I mean, this is a very rough estimate, but as things stand the backer landscape looks like:

2,500k. [[url=https://old.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4sifhi/interview_with_turbulent_and_some_backers_figures/?st=k5bb1e68&sh=905f7270]But Turbulent reckons only 50% have bought anything, so...]
Backer Accounts: 1,250k
Funds Raised: $265m

Expenditure per backer: $212 [approx]

Of course it's more complicated than that, with the whales weighting things heavily, and numerous vanilla accounts doubtless amongst those backers. But it still gives you an idea of the level of bought advantage sitting waiting for launch day, vs players rocking up with their $45 Aurora...
Yup, I agree with that....but back in the day when I first bought into SC with my Cutlass black, that was my intent...a do all multi-role ship from where I could then go on to earn ships in game as I played.

Back then in 2015, I was just as naive as everyone else and certainly didn't expect to be sitting here 5 years later with a small fleet I paid actual cash for...it's just how things worked out from my end. When I refunded my first account during 2.63 and then consequently bought back in a year later...I tried sticking with the Cutlass black once again and just playing from there...still halfway hoping that Ci¬G would get around to adding some persistence like they'd promised for the release of the 3.0 Jesus patch I didn't hang around for.

That never happened as we all know, the 3.0 Jesus patch was as empty of content as it was miracles... but, when I looked back into SC after a year out, I saw enough progress to once again test the waters so off went $90 to Ci¬G for my seasonal sale Cutty black once again....

However, I found I missed the Aquila I had on my first account just because I liked it...and having a thing about mining, I wanted to try out the Prospector when that got released along with ship mining...I looked enviously at the Pirate Caterpillar having had a standard one on my first account and overall, wanted to test out what I'd be possibly doing if the thing ever does get released in my lifetime...and here I am, perceived P2W advantages and all...still waiting for the same persistence promised for that now, almost as mythical as the space wurmies, Jesus patch. :D

Last edited:
Yup, I agree with that....but back in the day when I first bought into SC with my Cutlass black, that was my intent...a do all multi-role ship from where I could then go on to earn ships in game as I played.

Back then in 2015, I was just as naive as everyone else and certainly didn't expect to be sitting here 5 years later with a small fleet I paid actual cash for...it's just how things worked out from my end. When I refunded my first account during 2.63 and then consequently bought back in a year later...I tried sticking with the Cutlass black once again and just playing from there...still halfway hoping that Ci¬G would get around to adding some persistence like they'd promised for the release of the 3.0 Jesus patch I didn't hang around for.

That never happened, I missed my Aquila I had on my first account...and having a thing about mining, I wanted to try out the Prospector when that got released, looked enviously at the Pirate Caterpillar having had a standard one on my first account and overall, wanted to test out what I'd be possibly doing if the thing ever does get released...and here I am, perceived P2W advantages and all...still waiting for the persistence.

You're a sucker for punishment :D

That never happened as we all know, the 3.0 Jesus patch was as empty of content as it was miracles... but, when I looked back into SC after a year out, I saw enough progress to once again test the waters so off went $90 to Ci¬G for my seasonal sale Cutty black once again....

However, I found I missed the Aquila I had on my first account just because I liked it...and having a thing about mining, I wanted to try out the Prospector when that got released along with ship mining...I looked enviously at the Pirate Caterpillar having had a standard one on my first account and overall, wanted to test out what I'd be possibly doing if the thing ever does get released in my lifetime...and here I am, perceived P2W advantages and all...still waiting for the same persistence promised for that mythical Jesus patch.

Hey, you can always go back to an Aurora if you want to try the full noob / hairshirt experience? :D

(What is the deal with the Aurora anyway? Can you melt it? Or is it wedded to your account forever, lurking like the back-up-car-of-shame from Top Gear?)

Hey, you can always go back to an Aurora if you want to try the full noob / hairshirt experience? :D

(What is the deal with the Aurora anyway? Can you melt it? Or is it wedded to your account forever, lurking like the back-up-car-of-shame from Top Gear?)
I've never mentioned this...but the account I run now used to be an alt account with just a base Aurora MR starter package..when I decided I was going to refund, I gifted a few of my original standalone concept ships to the account with the intention at the time to sell it on the grey market for a profit, I ended up keeping it instead...I gifted my original concept Carrack, the BMM, the Redeemer, the Orion and a few other bits and pieces I had collected along the way. So, apart from adding the Cutty black package which I didn't have in the account...I already had a ready made fleet after the usual Ci¬G banning of my original account and declaring me as a non-person after the refund ;)

That original $27 seasonal sale Aurora MR package is still in my buyback...since I CCU'd it to a cheap grey market bought Valkyrie upgrade at one point then melted the Valkyrie for RSi store credit. The 'last modified' date suggests I CCU'd it over a year ago even though I originally bought the package sometime in 2016.

Buy back pledges - Roberts Space Industries _ Follow the development of Star Citizen and Squad...png

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. While space games do in general tend to attract a lot of relaxed players, there are quite a few PvPers out there who want a spaceship (or space leg) MMO. Should SC ever release, it will be flooded with those who want this sort of game and didn't get what they wanted from ED. I suspect they will fight tooth and nail on the forums to push CIG from ever implementing anything like the PvP/PvE slider or modes or safe spaces (outside station no fire zones).

I don't know about that. I'm pretty high up there on the griefer spectrum and I am fine with there being safe spaces. I just don't want the entire game to be a safe space like ED.

lets assume for a moment the people who fear this huge P2W mess are correct............ the amount of bad press it is going to generate will hit CIG hard imo..... if when the game launches it is as good as most of us want it to be, then - much like ED and their early high level backers - those players will soon become minority numbers, and besides CIG already have milked them possibly dry.

Is it even possible to get more bad press then it already had? And even when that would happen....would it even matter? We had snarky sarcasm dripping articles and funny ones, we had shill pieces along with the serious attempts to shed some light on it. Usually the comment feedback has been disastrous as it showed the public very clearly what kind of people are representing the community (they dont but if its those people speaking in the name of the whole project thats what others will think). My own impression is that the average SC backer has a remarkable resistence against common sense and logical conclusions for whatever reasons and the more others try to point out a problem the harder they look away in order to keep going. So any kind of bad press would be automatically be dismissed as a "hit piece" and disregarded. Same as every kind of criticism is automatically "hate" regardless of the content.

I recently read a post on reddit but cant find it anymore so no link, sorry. It talked about how many people probably can see the project failing or doing badly but stick with their guns and continue to hope because if it turns out to be a good game in the end nobody will care how it got there. And thats certainly true. The victor writes history. When successful people write their memoires its always the incredible underdog story starting with nothing, overcoming great challenges and being kind of a genius...in short....painting yourself in a romantic way. You never hear about the possibly ugly truth how they acted despicably or did aweful things...you certainly never get to learn the true story. So people turn a blind eye and ignore even the most obvious signs and faillings clinging to that last straw that "keep going and you might get rewarded" (this is a mental trick that works great for religion as well)

I dont understand how that works for people but its certainly a reasoning I can follow. It applies to all kinds of things in life. Relationships, friendships, investments......yeah. Star Citizen certainly is not pocket change or "nothing" in monetary terms. Even the minimal entry price is about the same as a full blown AAA game so sinking that much money to eventually admit that it was a mistake.....it nibbles at you (or at least it does for me) and its even worse when you argue publicly with others about it. Admitting a mistake will be all but impossible then so goalposts are moved or versions are adjusted or you simply put your head down and "hope for the best".

Agreed. No way would a real attorney write things like "our patience is not endless" or "Crytek should not be allowed to aim its car at CIG’s storefront window, stomp the accelerator, smash through, do doughnuts for years, then back out and drive away to maybe circle around and crash CIG again another day" in legal communications 😂

Might ve been Chris Roberts himself. We all know how things turn out when he writes personal letters ^^

2.2 million accounts != 2.2 million players. I'm one of those accounts after trying out a free fly. Never gave CIG a penny. Plus there will be more than a few alt accounts.

Thats why he says "accounts". This is yet another thing I dont "get". Once you understand and accept how that number comes together that its actually a bloated deception not reflecting reality, what possibly positivity can you take from it in order to use as an argument for your stance? That somebody had the stamina to create 20.000 accounts using bots in order to "help the cause"? That various free flying events resulted in an influx of one-time users who never looked back after the event ended? You can "buy" friends on facebook or followers on twitter in order to present a big number thus increasing your importance towards others. CIG understands that very well so of course the numbers are going to be big. Regardless how unrealistic and faked they are.

For those who never read the Sandi-Beer email exchange i recommend you do, there are some quite astoninshing and quoteable comments from Sandi.

Best read from bottom to top in date order. You can skip the parts though until Sandi gets involved. It also gets a bit boring later.

In it she claims that if it wasn't for her, there wouldn't be a project. That she is a qualified teacher. That she is probably one of the best salespeople in the world (ever since she was a little girl - yes, she actually wrote that). That she is more formally qualified than anyone else at CIG.

I mean, she shouldn't even have been having this conversation with Beer in the first place, simply just responding to his request for infomation about his ban then end the conversation, but Beer gets her talking about the project and his opinion and she just goes off on one.

Her ego clearly knows no bounds.

I don't know about that. I'm pretty high

Ok, perhaps post later when you are better. :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

But would you be ok if they did an ED and enabled different modes? Or added the "PvP slider"?

They did promise private servers once upon a time, but i'm highly doubtful that will come to pass unless CIG start to buckle under the cost of running the servers they need and so switch to releasing private servers or adding an offline mode to cut the load.

Is it even possible to get more bad press then it already had? And even when that would happen....would it even matter? We had snarky sarcasm dripping articles and funny ones, we had shill pieces along with the serious attempts to shed some light on it. Usually the comment feedback has been disastrous as it showed the public very clearly what kind of people are representing the community (they dont but if its those people speaking in the name of the whole project thats what others will think). My own impression is that the average SC backer has a remarkable resistence against common sense and logical conclusions for whatever reasons and the more others try to point out a problem the harder they look away in order to keep going. So any kind of bad press would be automatically be dismissed as a "hit piece" and disregarded. Same as every kind of criticism is automatically "hate" regardless of the content.

I recently read a post on reddit but cant find it anymore so no link, sorry. It talked about how many people probably can see the project failing or doing badly but stick with their guns and continue to hope because if it turns out to be a good game in the end nobody will care how it got there. And thats certainly true. The victor writes history. When successful people write their memoires its always the incredible underdog story starting with nothing, overcoming great challenges and being kind of a genius...in short....painting yourself in a romantic way. You never hear about the possibly ugly truth how they acted despicably or did aweful things...you certainly never get to learn the true story. So people turn a blind eye and ignore even the most obvious signs and faillings clinging to that last straw that "keep going and you might get rewarded" (this is a mental trick that works great for religion as well)

I dont understand how that works for people but its certainly a reasoning I can follow. It applies to all kinds of things in life. Relationships, friendships, investments......yeah. Star Citizen certainly is not pocket change or "nothing" in monetary terms. Even the minimal entry price is about the same as a full blown AAA game so sinking that much money to eventually admit that it was a mistake.....it nibbles at you (or at least it does for me) and its even worse when you argue publicly with others about it. Admitting a mistake will be all but impossible then so goalposts are moved or versions are adjusted or you simply put your head down and "hope for the best".

Might ve been Chris Roberts himself. We all know how things turn out when he writes personal letters ^^

Thats why he says "accounts". This is yet another thing I dont "get". Once you understand and accept how that number comes together that its actually a bloated deception not reflecting reality, what possibly positivity can you take from it in order to use as an argument for your stance? That somebody had the stamina to create 20.000 accounts using bots in order to "help the cause"? That various free flying events resulted in an influx of one-time users who never looked back after the event ended? You can "buy" friends on facebook or followers on twitter in order to present a big number thus increasing your importance towards others. CIG understands that very well so of course the numbers are going to be big. Regardless how unrealistic and faked they are.
I don't really see backers looking away or ignoring the issues with Star Citizen and Ci¬G...I certainly don't and I have quite honest and frank discussions with many others who do play. What I do ignore and so do most of the others I know is the constant "It's not a game."... "It's a scam." comments we've been reading ad nauseum since 2015...it's not that those comments are meaningless or less valid but they offer nothing new and certainly don't open up for any form of reply or meaningful discussion. We're not there to try and sell, justify or defend the idea of Star Citizen, we simply find in some parts it has merit and is certainly not all bad, despite the absolute snakes in Ci¬G's marketing department and clan Roberts efforts of incompetence and greed to the contrary.

What's there isn't all bad or quite simply, nobody would be playing it. We don't hold out some vain hope that Ci¬G will pull their collective arses out of the fire, sack Chris Roberts and get something done...it is what it is, we can see where it's trying to be something and the majority where it isn't. Even our tolerance and patience has a limit...shown after the latest roadmap carnage or prompted discussion on a mini CoD game mode very few of us have any interest in whilst the PU...which most of us bought in for... is dying.

Last edited:
To be fair, I also feel like Solo/Private/Open is a mistake. I think I'd be okay with something like Open/Group/Reduced:

Open remains as is
Group ensures you get in instances with your friends, but you still have other players
Reduced imposes limits on how many people you'll run into, but they are still out there. Just makes them less frequent (smaller instances? I'm no game dev but I'm sure there's a way to make this work)

The ability to make player commanders disappear is, IMO, a mistake of Elite.

SC will uniquely solve this dilemma by not releasing any modes whatsoever. ;)

Edit: Adding: The benefit of pointing out a scam is a scam is to help ward off new potential victims.
I hardly think re-posting the oft touted "It's a scam!" comments on here is likely to ward off any new or even potential 'victims' whatsoever...try Facebook. The mouse button clickers on there just love to click that like button for persistently repeated off the cuff comments...either that or you'll get some nice cat pictures ;)

Meet Ming the Merciless...one of my cats.

0RtN9x4.jpg

Last edited:
In Elite, making other CMDR’s disappear is by choice or at the whim of the Layer Gods.

in SC, making other Commando’s disappear is either by CI-G’s woefully inadequate backend throwing a strop, or at the whim of a hungry floor.

I didnt think i was arguing with anyone, just chewing the fat.

you seem to be seeing white knights and shills where there are none. I have not told anyone who is convinced the game is doomed to failure they are wrong, and neither have i said its all rosy, I have just tried to point out that it is still possible it will come right in the end. Personally there is no point me going full salty either way, my cash is spent and i cant refund so i am along for the ride whether i like it or not.... I dont have a stance 1 way or the other really as it is all just guesswork how it will pan out... the only difference is i WANT it too succeed where as i think some people (naming no names)) genunely want it to fail just for the popcorn.

they wont be getting anotehr penny from me however until after the game is fully launched. and even then, maybe not.

I didnt think i was arguing with anyone, just chewing the fat.

you seem to be seeing white knights and shills where there are none. I have not told anyone who is convinced the game is doomed to failure they are wrong, and neither have i said its all rosy, I have just tried to point out that it is still possible it will come right in the end. Personally there is no point me going full salty either way, my cash is spent and i cant refund so i am along for the ride whether i like it or not.... I dont have a stance 1 way or the other really as it is all just guesswork how it will pan out... the only difference is i WANT it too succeed where as i think some people (naming no names)) genunely want it to fail just for the popcorn.

they wont be getting anotehr penny from me however until after the game is fully launched. and even then, maybe not.

Just out of curiosity - because I haven't seen any official word from the powers that be - how do you think they'll maintain server costs once the Star Citizen is released - especially if everything will be (theoretically) earnable in-game?

I mean, everything's been fine up to now. Will they cover the cost with more units sold post-release? Keep the storefront up? Sell t-shirts?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom