Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Yes but they didn’t raise $357,556,706 from players in the process. That’s the difference.

Dreaming big on a project is one thing. Making it your pre-order sales pitch is another.

Come on man, this SC 101.

Neither you nor CIG know that. That is part of the problem with the pre-selling.

There is no precedent for an MMO using twitch gameplay supporting 1000s of players concurrently. There is no precedent for large mobile maps the size of the Javelin being piloted by players and engaging others in the same. CIG have genuinely pre-sold 'never been done before' functionality.

And they’re still yet to achieve any of those benchmarks.

The reasons for that are interesting, but that is the simple reality which SC discussions are best based upon. What they’ve managed to do, not what they say they’ll do...

Your problem is with crowd funding any project, the whole nature of it is to ask for funding to make something happen.

A funding model like this is not unusual, when you have an idea but lack the funds to turn that idea into reality what do you do?

Nope you are friend. When you state that technological achievements without precedent are definitely achievable, the onus is on you to demonstrate that.

So pick my brains, no one can address double negative blanket statements, if you think you know something i don't, and you might, we can have a conversation about that, alternatively we can go round in circles. So unless you know something i don't i'm going to keep telling you i don't see anything in the game that existing technology cannot solve, if you do? Shoot.

So pick my brains, no one can address double negative blanket statements, if you think you know something i don't, and you might, we can have a conversation about that, alternatively we can go round in circles. So unless you know something i don't i'm going to keep telling you i don't see anything in the game that existing technology cannot solve, if you do? Shoot.

In the game "as it is" or in the game "as intended"? Could you actually elaborate what the game "as intended" is? Because in 2021 I am pretty lost in all the promises. I am seriously asking because after reading quite a lot on the topic, including this interview (https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/28/...with-its-ambitious-alpha-3-2-quarterly-patch/) with Erin Roberts, I still do not know.

I mean concrete scenarios that the game's networking / persistence layer should handle. Like "real time twitch gameplay with 10 capital ships with 20 characters in each, in a single battle, with a 100 smaller ships, missiles, countermeasures, torpedoes, half of all the characters are NPCs, damage based on fully physicalised materials and physics engine emulating their properties like resistance to heat, plasticity, ability to withhold kinetic damage" etc.

Or "100 000 of NPCs in ships, vehicles and on foot taking part in economic activities that shape the market as to the demand and supply for various services and goods, with possible supply chain disturbances and emergent gameplay including piracy and protection of most profitable trade routes". You know, the famous interplanetary dynamic general equilibrium model presented by Tony Zurovec in 2019. Something like that.

If we cannot be this specific, it is really hard to assume something is possible, isn't it?

Coming back to you previous two posts, please notice I have not asserted anything. In the second response I simply said that the claim you are making was strong. In the first one, I was wondering whether you were arguing that it was obvious that some of the things CIG sold as promises were, in fact, impossible. This is why I got lost in your argument. You were responding to a post pointing out that CIG was selling a particular set of promises. As a response, you offered an argument about technical limitations of modern PCs with respect to fully modelled capital ships. I just cannot connect the two.

Last edited:
No PC, no Hardware can support the amount of data contained with in a 1KM ship, even if or when all this pans out your PC will not have to, even if or when these ship's have their interior in game it will not be there for you when you're looking at it from the outside, or even on the inside, from your computers perspective the only thing its rendering is what you can see.

You're thinking this is nothing new, you're right it isn't, but the Gen12 render, Vulkan is much more efficient, much better at doing this.

I'm curious about this. If Vulkan can do this wonderous thing, why can't DX? Have MS been sleeping on this for years while Vulkan overtook DX? Its not like MS to allow a competitor to gain an advantage like this without a fight.

That's one hell of a way to treat someone.

We all know what the story is with these capital ships, we all know they don't have interiors in these events, i'm not going to word everything i write in a way to appease some fascistic policing of this thread.
If you can't get along with me i suggest you block me because i'm not going to be bullied by people like you.
🤣

In the game "as it is" or in the game "as intended"? Could you actually elaborate what the game "as intended" is? Because in 2021 I am pretty lost in all the promises. I am seriously asking because after reading quite a lot on the topic, including this interview (https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/28/...with-its-ambitious-alpha-3-2-quarterly-patch/) with Erin Roberts, I still do not know.

I mean concrete scenarios that the game's networking / persistence layer should handle. Like "real time twitch gameplay with 10 capital ships with 20 characters in each, in a single battle, with a 100 smaller ships, missiles, countermeasures, torpedoes, half of all the characters are NPCs, damage based on fully physicalised materials and physics engine emulating their properties like resistance to heat, plasticity, ability to withhold kinetic damage" etc.

Or "100 000 of NPCs in ships, vehicles and on foot taking part in economic activities that shape the market as to the demand and supply for various services and goods, with possible supply chain disturbances and emergent gameplay including piracy and protection of most profitable trade routes". You know, the famous interplanetary dynamic general equilibrium model presented by Tony Zurovec in 2019. Something like that.

If we cannot be this specific, it is really hard to assume something is possible, isn't it?

Coming back to you previous two posts, please notice I have not asserted anything. In the second response I simply said that the claim you are making was strong. In the first one, I was wondering whether you were arguing that it was obvious that some of the things CIG sold as promises were, in fact, impossible. This is why I got lost in your argument. You were responding to a post pointing out that CIG was selling a particular set of promises. As a response, you offered an argument about technical limitations of modern PCs with respect to fully modelled capital ships. I just cannot connect the two.

A full persistence MMO First Person Space game with up to 100 star systems and a player driven economy, that's the macro version and the expanded revised pitch, that has not changed. This is what's achievable. Tho on a personal note i wouldn't want more than 30 Star Systems, no matter how many players are in your instance its too easy to get lost in the aether when there is too much space. 30 to me seems like a good balance.

On a more granular level its constantly evolving because they keep adding to it, some of those addons are already in to some degree.
So now the question is how do i know its possible if it keeps evolving? As it stands right now i think it is, if in the future they add something that isn't possible then i guess this feature will not be going into the end product.

ED Emulates these properties, that is not difficult, I have never seen it to this extent in ED but is it possible to gather these elements together and try it?

That’s still not how it works mate. When someone makes a claim that is at odds with demonstrable reality the onus is on them to stand up their claim.

So far you’ve muttered vague things about culling and Vulkan. Two things used by numerous games, none of which display the results you say are definitely possible. Pretty poor evidence to date.

But ok, if you’d like a challenge: Explain how CIG’s proposed 100k player single shard, allowing for twitch gameplay between enormous inhabitable vehicles and while on foot, is definitely possible.

Should be fun :)

Star Citizen is one of those projects that is extremely complex and expensive, CIG didn't exist until the project started, it didn't have any of its own money and it never would have been attempted under an existing publisher such as EA or Ubisoft because of the complexity and expense.

But it is not impossible, the technology to make it happen exists, what it needs is a lot of middle aged space nerds with deep pockets to support it, it has that and its their choice to support it.

However, CIG claims to have had from the start super awesome industry stars. People who have been in the industry for decades. Of course, some of us on the skeptical side of things also note that most of them haven't had any particular successes during those decades and CR himself was out of the industry for a good long while.

There is also the argument that EA or Ubisoft wouldn't have gone for it is because CR had no clearly defined scope and they knew of him. He basically did what the guys behind that recent MMO claimed. He basically said he wanted the best game ever, with bells on it. And as the funding increased the scope ran away from him. Those in charge of making such decisions at Ubisoft/EA would likely have known CR and his history.

Its perhaps not impossible. What is impossible for CIG to deliver on what they have promised to backers over the years. Even infinitely deep pockets and all the time in the world won't allow CR/CIG to deliver on that.

What is possible, although more likely if CR wasn't involved, is a damn good space game with some of the stuff CIG have promised over the years. Something like that might be possible to take to a 1.0 release within the next few years and be built upon from there.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Whatever you might say about Star Citizen vs [insert game], in my opinion SC does [thing] better.
It's easier to do [thing] when you don't have to engineer a video game that they work in.

I think this exchange summarizes nicely SC. The first quote describes how a large part of the SC community thinks, and the bottom one describes the actual current state of SC.

Last edited:
Your problem is with crowd funding any project, the whole nature of it is to ask for funding to make something happen.

A funding model like this is not unusual, when you have an idea but lack the funds to turn that idea into reality what do you do?

If i did a kickstarter claiming i was going to make the best damn game ever, and talk at length about all the things i'd like to have in it. All things that maybe, perhaps soon, or one day, be technically possible... and its really going to be the best game ever. Hell, I even get my mates at a 3D company to make a rather flashy demo to show everyone what amazing progress we've already made and will strongly imply we already have lots of work done, that we've been working on it for a year already, and i just need a 2-3 years to make it happen and a few million. I've even got some of my industry veteran friends to join me in making the game.

Would you pledge?

5pJHb60.png

I'm curious about this. If Vulkan can do this wonderous thing, why can't DX? Have MS been sleeping on this for years while Vulkan overtook DX? Its not like MS to allow a competitor to gain an advantage like this without a fight.

Pretty much yes. There was a time when Microsoft had zero interest in PC gamers, perhaps they thought their XBox Eco System was more worthwhile to them in some way, they completely neglected Direct X, there had been no real improvements made to it in more than a decade and it was holding back game development, it was also a problem for the people who make the Hardware, such as AMD, Direct X didn't keep up with the technical advances they were making with the hardware so AMD took it upon themselves to creat a competitive alternative to Direct X, tho knowing it wouldn't work unless this new Graphics API incorporated the advances all hardware designers were making, including thier own competitors, like Intel and Nvidia, they decided to make it hardware agnostic right from the start and then gave it away, for free to an independent group to manage.

It worked, it forced Microsoft to develop their own API, now DX12 and DX12 Ultimate, and they started to take PC gaming more seriously, XBox Live is now on PC, there is cross play between consoles and PC, in fact Microsofts Game Consoles are now PC's in a branded box, AMD designed and built the hardware in them, not just the XBox but also the PS5.

It's easier to do ships when you don't have to engineer a video game that they work in. And $400,000,000 also makes it easier.

There should be an interesting community reaction if the Agent's starter non-PvP area rumor is true.
Pure design aestethics aren't a work/money problem, if FD wished they could build the same ship aestethics SC does.
I just think the designs from SC are better. Elite did some strange decisions, mostly cockpit size and the hardpoint visuals.

Top Bottom