Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I recently saw a short video of an ED player having his first "Armstrong moment" in SC. :ROFLMAO: Unlike in ED, he really had to climb down the stairs to leave his ship. Impressive (or so he must have thought). Then he walked around a bit and kept wiping drops of condensation off his helmet! That actually made me laughing out loud. Is that what people call "immersion" these days? I already find the much more subtle condensation drops inside the helmet in Odyssey pretty ridiculous. But outside? And does either of that bear any form of gameplay value? Then he even found some nice flowers, but he didn't even try to do anything with them. Is that even possible in SC? But the biggest showstopper for me was how his ship behaved: as if it had no weight, no inertial effects at all!
And that is something that would instantly kill my immersion.

Its rather interesting. Watching a recent video by Hawkes Gaming (amazed LA didn't link it, its all about ED refugees praising SC! You're slacking LA!)

One thing they all kept going on about was ship interiors and immersion.

While I agree, ship interiors and seamless transitions in and out of ships are nice, and we can hope FD will do it eventually, its not something i'd personally base my choice on. In a spaceship game i care more about what happens when i fly my spaceship.

I'm sure we call remember (and can still see) people complaining about how FD spent years adding a FPS shooter to ED, but SC is very much focused around the first person (legs) experience first, and ships and space based actitivies seem a poor second.

But for those who want that in-ship/out-of-ship experience, its clear why they prefer SC.

I'll still give it a few months/year though and wait and see what the ED refugees are saying then, after they have sat through some time of bugs, eternal alpha, slipping roadmap, performance, limited gameplay features, etc. I'm sure some will start thinking perhaps ED/FD aren't that bad.

I'm having fun with the game so far. Mostly have done bounty hunting and some mercenary missions. Still getting used to some of the bindings as I play along. Really looking forward to trying another ship besides the Aurora. Mostly have liked the attention to detail of the ships. Walking around the interior and seeing how much work was put into the designs of them. It's a decent game so far.

Its rather interesting. Watching a recent video by Hawkes Gaming (amazed LA didn't link it, its all about ED refugees praising SC! You're slacking LA!)

While I agree, ship interiors and seamless transitions in and out of ships are nice, and we can hope FD will do it eventually, its not something i'd personally base my choice on. In a spaceship game i care more about what happens when i fly my spaceship.

I'm sure we call remember (and can still see) people complaining about how FD spent years adding a FPS shooter to ED, but SC is very much focused around the first person (legs) experience first, and ships and space based actitivies seem a poor second.

But for those who want that in-ship/out-of-ship experience, its clear why they prefer SC.

I'll still give it a few months/year though and wait and see what the ED refugees are saying then, after they have sat through some time of bugs, eternal alpha, slipping roadmap, performance, limited gameplay features, etc. I'm sure some will start thinking perhaps ED/FD aren't that bad.
Then again...perhaps they won't do that at all...or are we still guessing what other people besides you will be doing in the future? (Asking for a friend again...I'm well past giving a shyte to be honest) :)

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
In 3.14, I can fly in a giant gas planet and land in a floating city. It doesn't "looks too good", it is good.

I dont think I was talking about clouds or "floating city".

But that is by the by. Some people see a little shiny thing that is still light years away from what has been sold for $350+ million (during 10+ years without a single product released) as definite proof of the holy grail.

Others see that shiny thing as this:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX0r6DsvXAU&ab_channel=MarioCarvalhal

Last edited:
Why? Most of us didn't die or anything untoward...in fact, a fair few of us are still playing Star Citizen quite contentedly whilst the occasional patronising ED commander drops in here and feels it somehow appropriate to offer us their sympathy for doing so.... then proceed directly to patting themselves on the back for not falling prey to Ci¬G's business practises 🤷‍♂️

I'll give you a big hint...neither did we... outside of your subjective opinion of course :)

Thanks for your sympathy, you have mine in return...no idea what for, I'll think of something later ;)
Sorry Mole, was it you that got a refund and then bought back in?

However bad SC or ED is, it doesn't make the other one any better.

Sorry Mole, was it you that got a refund and then bought back in?
I did indeed, no secret there or anything since it was me who mentioned it in the first place...I'll give yet another hint. I'm neither embarrassed, ashamed, feel cheated, nor feel any less of a fiscally resonsible adult for doing so... as much as some would like to suggest to the contrary...

Anything else you'd like to throw over as a poor attempt at sarcasm while you're at it?

I did indeed, no secret there or anything since it was me who mentioned it in the first place...I'll give yet another hint. I'm neither embarrassed, ashamed, feel cheated, nor feel any less of a fiscally resonsible adult for doing so... as much as some would suggest to the contrary...

Anything else you'd like to throw over as a poor attempt at sarcasm while you're at it?
Sorry Mole it's not an attempt at sarcasm at all, as you say, I only know this fact because you mentioned it. However, clearly you didn't think SC was worth what you paid for it and got a refund, which suggests that you think paying thousands to support SC wasn't sensible.

I believe you bought back in at a somewhat lower level.

Obviously, anyone can spend what they want on their chosen hobby. Given the average cost of playing video games, I now regret the amount that I backed ED with, but let me assure you it was well short of even half a grand.

Last edited:
Sorry Mole it's not an attempt at sarcasm at all, as you say, I only know this fact because you mentioned it. However, clearly you didn't thing SC was worth what you paid for it and got a refund, which suggests that you think paying thousands to support SC wasn't sensible.
I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it, nor would I ever... if that's what you're suggesting. I had a falling out with Ci¬G at the time I refunded, I took my cash out for valid reasons...namely, as a direct response to what they showed in the Gamescom live demo in 2016. I felt that Ci¬G...Chris Roberts in particular... didn't deserve my support or the cash I had pledged so I withdrew that support as the only means I had to voice my genuine displeasure at the state of the project... thousands more felt as I did at that time and did exactly the same.

I bought back in to a far lesser degree based on what I saw after having a year out...although what I've contributed to the project since I bought back in is totally immaterial since the perceived value is entirely subjective. I also don't require justification or seek approval from anyone else.

Do I think the project is worth what I've put in since refunding? Yes, without reservation...whether anyone agrees with that judgment or not. Do I think how the development has progressed to date is worth the support and cash I threw at it originally? Defintely not.

In case you or anyone else hasn't noticed, I'm growing heartily irritated with suggestion that other people...whether they be former ED players or not... can't possibly like Star Citizen because some denizens of this thread do not... or the idea that they are somehow willfully ignorant misguided children to be ridiculed and nannied for their own personal likes and dislikes.

The discussions to counter this ridiculous assertion have yet again...for the millionth time... swung away from Star Citizen as it is now and what it quite obviously offers those open minded enough to try it and ignore or set aside the almost palpable hatred for Ci¬G or the idiot Roberts shown here and elsewhere... even if I share some of those views. Those views don't stop me enjoying what I'm playing, it's ridiculous to suggest many others can't do the same.

Last edited:
Sorry Mole it's not an attempt at sarcasm at all, as you say, I only know this fact because you mentioned it. However, clearly you didn't think SC was worth what you paid for it and got a refund, which suggests that you think paying thousands to support SC wasn't sensible.

Obviously, anyone can spend what they want on their chosen hobby. Given the average cost of playing video games, I now regret the amount that I backed ED with, but let me assure you it was well short of even half a grand.
You regret kickstarting a publisher of so many good games?

Then again...perhaps they won't do that at all...or are we still guessing what other people besides you will be doing in the future? (Asking for a friend again...I'm well past giving a shyte to be honest) :)

Perhaps they will, perhaps they won't. That's why i used the word "perhaps" rather than making an absoloute statement. ;)

Time will tell.

All we can do for the nonce is chew the cud.

Clearer now that you've edited...I regret supporting the project to the amount I did initially but have no regrets on buying back in...as much as I remain critical of the marketing and business strategies behind the project. I don't see that degree of realistic cynicism changing either, as much as I love the game. It could and should be a lot better than it is...but so should other games I like.

Conversely, I've never once regretted the few hundreds I've paid to support FDev, ED and EDO...if I had been given the chance at the time I bought in, I'd have happily spent more. That assertion hasn't changed to date, as much as it's one of the games I like that could...and should have been... so much more than it is currently. That said, I still can't find any realistic reason to regret supporting either the game or FDev.

Last edited:
I would regret giving them any money at any time in the past 9 years, since they cannot seem to deliver a release.

Of course, CIG is not really operating like normal companies do. In normal companies, you get a defined requirements, budget and timescale, and have to deliver that functionality in that time scale or all hell breaks loose. Your constantly monitored on the current state of the project.

CIG has discovered a new paradigm, one made possible by the internet. Never deliver, constantly increase the timescale, always exceed the budget.

Maybe they are onto something ;-)

I would regret giving them any money at any time in the past 9 years, since they cannot seem to deliver a release.

Of course, CIG is not really operating like normal companies do. In normal companies, you get a defined requirements, budget and timescale, and have to deliver that functionality in that time scale or all hell breaks loose. Your constantly monitored on the current state of the project.

CIG has discovered a new paradigm, one made possible by the internet. Never deliver, constantly increase the timescale, always exceed the budget.

Maybe they are onto something ;-)
None of this is news to any thinking person who continues to support the project...and I've said it before, I'm a gamer, not a business analyst. Talk about flying pixel spaceships and you'll garner my interest. The rest is nowt more than rattling keys for the sake of it.

Last edited:
None of this is news to any thinking person who supports the project...and I've said it before, I'm a gamer, not a business analyst.

I'm a gamer and i've spent my time as a project manager (and i dare say running a farm you've also learned how to manage projects, although of a different type), and that is one reason i'm highly skeptical of SC ever being the game promised.

I'm open on the subject of whether there will ever be a release and that the release will be well received by the public, but of course, i'm on the skeptical side of that ever happening.

I'm a gamer and i've spent my time as a project manager (and i dare say running a farm you've also learned how to manage projects, although of a different type), and that is one reason i'm highly skeptical of SC ever being the game promised.

I'm open on the subject of whether there will ever be a release and that the release will be well received by the public, but of course, i'm on the skeptical side of that ever happening.
I'd rather talk about the game, not the politics of it. In all likelyhood, the game will never release in my lifetime...still doesn't stop me enjoying what's there as I'm getting older and waiting to die.

Because I don't post all videos of ED refugees I see, only a few of them I find interesting from a SC player perspective. You want me to post all of them ?

SC is not a spaceship game but a space game. One of the huge benefit of ships interiors is it give EVA/planetary missions in derelicts and boarding missions. You can't understand what SC is if you don't try yourself those missions. They are immersive, intense and offer really good moments of gameplay. And since CIG had started to add light puzzles in them, they are even better.

But that is by the by. Some people see a little shiny thing that is still light years away from what has been sold for $350+ million (during 10+ years without a single product released) as definite proof of the holy grail.
It's you that only focus on the "little shiny thing" in SC. Look at EVA missions in derelicts, they were sold at the kickstarter and had been delivered years ago. They are not "light years away" from the initial project.
Same for the multiplayer missile mode, or ship interiors, or planet surface, or turrets in ships, or Idris battle in xeno event, or caves, or boarding action... They are not "light years away" but "here now". And the best is it's all fun and this fun is improving patch after patch.

Top Bottom