Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
They are not "light years away" but "here now". And the best is it's all fun and this fun is improving patch after patch.
No one is stopping you from having fun with what little or broken is there so far, man. By all means. Dont think anyone is arguing that.

But trying to suggest SC or SQ42 are anywhere near complete when compared to all the committed (and paid for) features with your "here now" is just willful misrepresentation. Or simply lying, take your pick.

10+ years on and $350 million later this project is still in alpha. Where is SQ42 first penciled in for 2014, then 2015, then Answer the Call 2016 then 2017 then alpha for Q2 2020 then Q3 2020 then "done when it´s done" ? Reasonably stable physics? Exploration gameplay? Salvage and repair? Theaters of War? Quanta? Player controlled stations? 100+ systems? Even just 1 finished system after 10+ years? Subsumption AI? Server Meshing for hundreds or thousands of players instancing together? I can go on but hopefully by now you understand.

Is all that also "here now"?

But, by all means, enjoy your orange juggling, card tricks, cute puppies, "floating city" after 10+ years and $350 million paid for by backers.

Last edited:
I'd rather talk about the game, not the politics of it. In all likelyhood, the game will never release in my lifetime...still doesn't stop me enjoying what's there as I'm getting older and waiting to die.
I still think there should be a topic here where people who actually play SC can talk about it and another topic where the same six or so dudes can repeat for thousands of pages how evil Roberts is.

SC is not a spaceship game but a space game. One of the huge benefit of ships interiors is it give EVA/planetary missions in derelicts and boarding missions. You can't understand what SC is if you don't try yourself those missions. They are immersive, intense and offer really good moments of gameplay. And since CIG had started to add light puzzles in them, they are even better.
I can definitely see the pluses of interiors to ships and i think its a good thing CIG have done with the interiors and seamless transitions. But i think they focus way too much on the foot side of things rather than the ship side of things.

Just my opinion of course.

I still think there should be a topic here where people who actually play SC can talk about it and another topic where the same six or so dudes can repeat for thousands of pages how evil Roberts is.

Didn't we (or someone else) just discuss this some pages back?

All games generally just get one thread. There has been a spate of alt SC threads recently, but they all tend to end up going the same way anyway :D

Why ?
If that was my goal, I could have posted hundreds of comments and a lot of videos of ED refugees in the same way some here post collections of SC's bugs or collection of SC's player comments/posts grabbed from everywhere.

Because that's what I thought you were doing. But apparently not, so ok.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it, nor would I ever... if that's what you're suggesting. I had a falling out with Ci¬G at the time I refunded, I took my cash out for valid reasons...namely, as a direct response to what they showed in the Gamescom live demo in 2016. I felt that Ci¬G...Chris Roberts in particular... didn't deserve my support or the cash I had pledged so I withdrew that support as the only means I had to voice my genuine displeasure at the state of the project... thousands more felt as I did at that time and did exactly the same.

I bought back in to a far lesser degree based on what I saw after having a year out...although what I've contributed to the project since I bought back in is totally immaterial since the perceived value is entirely subjective. I also don't require justification or seek approval from anyone else.

Do I think the project is worth what I've put in since refunding? Yes, without reservation...whether anyone agrees with that judgment or not. Do I think how the development has progressed to date is worth the support and cash I threw at it originally? Defintely not.

In case you or anyone else hasn't noticed, I'm growing heartily irritated with suggestion that other people...whether they be former ED players or not... can't possibly like Star Citizen because some denizens of this thread do not... or the idea that they are somehow willfully ignorant misguided children to be ridiculed and nannied for their own personal likes and dislikes.

The discussions to counter this ridiculous assertion have yet again...for the millionth time... swung away from Star Citizen as it is now and what it quite obviously offers those open minded enough to try it and ignore or set aside the almost palpable hatred for Ci¬G or the idiot Roberts shown here and elsewhere... even if I share some of those views. Those views don't stop me enjoying what I'm playing, it's ridiculous to suggest many others can't do the same.
I fear we'll just have to disagree on the wisdom of supporting undeveloped games with considerable amounts of money :)

I too have occasionally poked this thread on the basis of the same material being repeated ad infinitum.

I've never used Star Citizen, so I don't make any pronouncements on either its various plus or minus points. However, I don't intend to use self declared alpha software.

Yes, crowd funding puts all the risks on the consumer, which isn't healthy for either party.

I think crowdfunding is ok to get initial funding. Get the idea into a first working version that can be sold, and from there on build on it from sales of the first version.

CIG could have focused on producing the game they said they would produce for 5.5 million, got that out there, and from sales of the amazing super duper BDSSE they promised they could deliver in 2-3 years, then gone on to expand it. That way the risk would have been with CIG after the initial crowdfunding.

This is effectively what FD did, although they also stumped up most of their own cash to make it, plus a loan. ED was make or break for FD i guess, they invested a lot in it. And it worked out for them.

Whether CIG could have made a successful release for 5.5 million is questionable, but they said that's what it would cost. But we will never know. Instead we have a 9 year old alpha that to date has cost somewhere in the region of 400 million with no release date is sight.

Still, it provided years of entertainment for fans and skeptics alike. Here's to the next 9 years of alpha!

tenor.gif

Top Bottom