Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

A small fighter shouldn't be able to take out a large freighter on it's own due to the shield strength, armour and turret crews. If enterprising pirates want to team up to disable and then board or force the crew to hand over cargo on a Caterpillar for instance, that's how it should be...it's also how it was described to us years ago. It's not all about whales been handed some advantage through paying for the bigger ships off the bat...the big ships with a few exceptions are mainly cargo or support ships with little to no offensive capabilities...their strength lies in defense, where it should be.

A Caterpillar is not large relative to actual large ships in SC. Almost all of the player ships, and all the freighter playerships, should be worried about a fighter. There were ships in 3.13 that would have been invincible against a single fighter. Like the Hercules with proper shields. This is not true in 3.14 due to the shield regen changes. Now there aren't ships that are invincible against a single fighter. Haven't really seen in practice in game though.

Even the fighting between small ships has been drawn out a bit more, combat has stopped being so much about a DPS meta race and become a bit more tactical and skill based due to the power management and restricted ammunition...that's not a bad thing. Previously, like I've mentioned often enough, combat was all about taping down the fire button and hosing one another while circle strafing...it was absolute arcade turrets in space pish.

Combat has not been about "taping down the fire button" in forever/years. Since when ever the heat mechanic came in. Heat is just being replaced by capacitors. Can still tape down the fire button and circle strafe. The repeaters just dont repeat quite as much.

I do agree with whatever that reddit post said, waiting so long for the capacitor to recharge for repeaters is not "fun". It is odd that SC has all these different types of weapons, but is making it so there is only on type that is viable to use: energy repeaters.

Last edited:
Any question you have about Star Citizen that is in the form of: Will Star Citizen have feature X? At some point CIG will have said yes, no matter what X is.

So yes, CIG has said that you will be able to hire NPC ship crew. It is a very hot topic. There is video of Todd Papy (one of the CIG higher ups) saying the NPC crew will be as good as a player crew. I believe there is other stuff saying the NPC crew will not be as effective.

You will have to pay the NPC's.
I am fine with them not being AS effective as player crew and more than happy to manage wages etc I just want to have them as an option for the immersion and the presumable gameplay of training them &/or fining better ones.

I am fine with them not being AS effective as player crew and more than happy to manage wages etc I just want to have them as an option for the immersion and the presumable gameplay of training them &/or fining better ones.

For now best to be fine with them being entirely theoretical M ;)

Nothing that shape on the roadmap currently. (Half of which will likely get pushed down the road either way. So it goes ;))

SC today isn't that different to how it was a year or two years ago.
Well that's why it's odd that so many cmdr's are have been playing it when so many here had been saying it was unplayable and there was nothing to do...
There's a great disparity between what was said about the state of this game, if it was due to ignorance or malice that is still to be decided. Probably a bit of both.

Kate's still going with their series so her sc "honey moon phase" seems to have lasted way longer than her odyssey did.
Hawks and many other cmdr's likewise
And I've been watching D2EA stream it for a while now, seems they are flying in Bespin from Star Wars.
How cool is that?

when so many here had been saying it was unplayable and there was nothing to do...

Lots of things get said about SC in this thread. Some others that you’ve missed are: That it’s a perpetual alpha prone to misleading roadmaps, compromised by fundamental technical travails under its shiny hood, and with a habit of drawing money out of players for content which doesn’t exist yet.

Wonder if some of those might be true :unsure:

Oh cool, is he putting in the 18hrs a day he was with EDO when he burnt out? Impressive.

(Genuinely hope the guy isn’t. That was unhealthy…)

There's a great disparity between what was said about the state of this game, if it was due to ignorance or malice that is still to be decided. Probably a bit of both.

Funnily that could equally apply to your bizarre cheerleading posts.

There’s nothing odd about space heads discovering 8yrs+ of dev, in a very pretty skin, and going: Ooh, pretty space stuff!

What is odd is you aggrandising the same while seemingly never having played it:

And that new update with the city in the clouds is looking breathtaking.... might be what makes me pull the trigger and buy a package of citizenship and join the cmdr gang.

So question: Have you played SC yet? :)

Last edited:
Well that's why it's odd that so many cmdr's are have been playing it when so many here had been saying it was unplayable and there was nothing to do...
Meanwhile, the opinion of a content creator with many years more SC experience is wildly different:
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1111910042?t=0h50m14s

After struggling with 3.14 for another 15 minutes SaltEMike exited the game and loaded up Stellaris (an awesome game btw, I play it regularly).

Yesterday, Morphologis - Star Citizen's biggest content creator - was having similar problems and frustrations throughout his stream:
Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/ozvqry/morphologis_cant_even_do_imagine_stuff_with_poor/

Last edited:
And I've been watching D2EA stream it for a while now, seems they are flying in Bespin from Star Wars.
How cool is that?
Well it was a bit crashy... but pretty cool :cool: co-pilot:

Capture.JPG

standing guard on the bridge:

Source: https://youtu.be/8BVomPECso0?t=4980

The 890J is around 32.3m aUEC to buy in game, it's a fairly pointless bling barge... .Never saw the point of an 890J...or a hammerhead either. They both require crew to operate, they're Org ships, hardly of any use to any solo pilot.
Even then not so good with the current state of servers. But yes agree with Yamicks Mole, bigger ships have potential as org "bases" and social hubs, just not like in Elite when many progress to Conda/Vette/Cutter as solo ships.

Kate's still going with their series so her sc "honey moon phase" seems to have lasted way longer than her odyssey did.
How cool is that?
From someone who sits on both sides of the fence I might be able to explain the disparity a bit. For us veterans of Star Citizen, the little things that make it uniquely Star Citizen have long since faded into the background, the little things that many EDO commanders are freshly discovering are all just background scenery for us as we once again end up shouting at the monitor in frustration when for the third patch in a row, we can't spawn any of our ships at the ASOP terminal. Our enthusiasm and "Ooo look, leaves blowing along the walkway!" have long since been replaced with a tired resignation as we fight to play yet another patch through the endlessly repetitive and recurring bugs.

I mentioned in a previous post that all the EDO commanders I've met or spoken to in game are a lot more accepting of where Star Citizen is as a game than we veterans are. They've taken on board the criticisms, the business practises of Ci¬G and come into the project with open eyes...I can't fault that approach. I love watching vids from the likes of Katie Byrne, Hawkes Gaming and others because they see and experience the things I've long since forgotten in my cynicism.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom