Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Yes, self destruct works and if another ship is close enough it will blow up too.

However, in SC there are plenty of people who do "legit" piracy.
"Legit piracy"? That's one of those things I hear about, but never actually experience myself. It's "lulz ship go boom" every time. They may not even bother taking the cargo. Often, I don't even have cargo. Maybe it's different when free play events are not going on.
Gonna stick with self destruct in the mean time.

Just read this.... and no, its not a troll, post history was checked. A true faithful.

fus8diG.jpg

TL;DR? Chris knowingly lied to people for the good of the game and it was the right thing to do.
I got sick of one half of the first 6 months of the roadmap being shunted off to make up the latter 6 months of the year 2 years ago.

1 year of the roadmap turns in to 2 years, 2 years in to 4 years.... this is why its taking so long, i have had this argument with a couple of people and they just say "well i would rather they take their time and get it right" its so frustrating, if we aren't even going to hold CIG to their own time table then we are to blame for effectively allowing it.

There is an expectation, again, for server meshing and Pyro to be in by Q4 2022, the roadmap ends at Q2 2022 with no server meshing in sight, in January its due for an update, Q3 2022 and Q4 2022 should get added to it, lets see what it says and if the crap finally hits the fan proper if it doesn't appear.

Okay. It's definitely time for...
🎆 Prediction of the Year - 2021 🎆
For sure when someone ask me to make predictions in this forum, I was happy at the time to give you something to potentially mock me at the end of the year (I only done it here). It was my little gift for you and it don't bother me. I'm happy if you are happy. I will make you others for the next year if you want.
Could I ask you in return a prediction for the estimated date of falling of CIG ? I promise you to never use it to mock you, I have the well known "90 days top" for this.

The sole prediction that really matters to me is to have more fun playing than last year. Promise delivered.

And honestly - if I ever encounter some "punishment" for playing bad - I'll be off to somewhere else in no time..
Every game I know give you some sort of punishment for playing bad, even the idle games. The only thing that matter is the perceived level of punishment which is greatly dependent of the ratio reward/risk.

Self-destruct will cost more and more in the future as the stability/permanence increase in the server.
For long, autodestruct costed almost nothing because CIG was not able to provide enough stability to put a cost on it. Too much bugs destroying your ship, they couldn't put the real price on material looses.
When the server's stability will be sufficient, with medical gameplay penalities + cost of loosing armor + ship + equipment + cargo + missiles they have all the tools to not make you want to self destruct.
We would be losing it anyway most if not all of the time. Why not try to take a few with you? No way to make me believe that this particular person is a "legit pirate". Gonna assume it's a gank every time. It's the same issue ed has.

"Legit piracy"? That's one of those things I hear about, but never actually experience myself. It's "lulz ship go boom" every time. They may not even bother taking the cargo. Often, I don't even have cargo. Maybe it's different when free play events are not going on.
Gonna stick with self destruct in the mean time.
You will not find real piracy during free play events. Everyone as free ship and all those new temporary players don't care about their reputations / ships / money because everything will be lost at the end of the week. You say it yourself, you self destruct. Usual pirates don't do piracy at free fly events because freeflyers always go kaboom (when they know about it).
You can look at Mongrel Squad videos to see how "real" pirates interacts in SC.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjMR9RknoOo

We would be losing it anyway most if not all of the time. Why not try to take a few with you?
When you are attacked by real pirates, if you comply you have chance to loose far less than what you loose with a self destruct. Watch the video in my last post.
If the pirate ask you 20% of the value of your cargo and let you go when you pay, it's better than loosing all cargo+ship+equipment+hassle of respawn at hospital.

That's adding consequences to your acts, something a lot of game companies have abandonned because they think gamers now are snowflakes and they want to secure the 30 minutes playtime market. With no consequence, dying is meaningfull and give no emotions.

Not saying there shouldn't be consequences, just there are limits.

But saying "It hasn't happened yet" while in fact it has happened yet since medical gameplay was in,

Weren't you talking about additional consequences for self-destruct that are not in yet?

And since you talk about the time penalty for death through medical, i say that's an additional penalty that i don't like the idea of, and i see no reason why i can't hold that opinion.

You mention ship interiors, which is a false equivalence, since it has nothing to do with death dying. However, on that topic i still hold the opinion that while it is a plus for immersion, running through the ship every time i want to dock/undock will indeed get boring, especially on big ships. I base this on my experience in ED running through the hangar every time i dock/undock if i'm doing Odyssey stuff, as opposted to being able to do everything from my ship when doing non-Odyssey stuff.

Like i've said, if FD do implement ship interiors, i hope they add a fast exit option rather than forcing the run through the ship every time. Take for example, yesterday while playing ED i must have exited/entered my ship over a dozen times. That is going to get old fast.

When you are attacked by real pirates, if you comply you have chance to loose far less than what you loose with a self destruct. Watch the video in my last post.
If the pirate ask you 20% of the value of your cargo and let you go when you pay, it's better than loosing all cargo+ship+equipment+hassle of respawn at hospital.

And what if its a ganker who is going to blow up your stuff anyway? Because that is where we came in on this topic. That and the fact you never know who is a real pirate and who is going to blow you up either immediately or who will rob you then blow you up.

No way to make me believe that this particular person is a "legit pirate". Gonna assume it's a gank every time. It's the same issue ed has.
I found the original video. It's from Experia888 which is the Mongrel Squad membre so a real pirate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in ED pirates can only steal cargo. In SC, you have a lot more gameplay mechanisms to do piracy (sneaking, boarding, stealing ship/cargo/money). Being a pirate in SC is far more varied than in ED. It's not "gank everytime".

I found the original video. It's from Experia888 which is the Mongrel Squad membre so a real pirate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in ED pirates can only steal cargo. In SC, you have a lot more gameplay mechanisms to do piracy (sneaking, boarding, stealing ship/cargo/money). Being a pirate in SC is far more varied than in ED. It's not "gank everytime".

In ED it isn't gank every time. The point is that in both games you do not know who will gank and who will not.

And sorry, but really? More to piracy? You mean the mechanics are different, not that there is more. In SC you have to board and take stuff manually. In ED you fire hatch breakers and collector limpets to pirate. There are no limpets in SC, there is no boarding in ED. Both do it differently.

I will say this for CIG:

At this point, they let everyone play the "alpha" a couple of times a year absolutely for free. Just create a free account, download the gigabytes and go. This year they even gave everyone a "free" ship to fly during their annual "show". Prospective customers get to test the product and assess it's performance, glitches, crashes and all BEFORE being required to make a purchase decision and these "shows" where they let everyone fly for free are stress tests for their systems, so customers get to see them at the worst BEFORE deciding whether or not to buy.

The alpha's performance currently sucks, let's be clear on that but you do not have to spend anything but some time to find that out. o7

You mention ship interiors, which is a false equivalence, since it has nothing to do with death dying. However, on that topic i still hold the opinion that while it is a plus for immersion, running through the ship every time i want to dock/undock will indeed get boring, especially on big ships. I base this on my experience in ED running through the hangar every time i dock/undock if i'm doing Odyssey stuff, as opposted to being able to do everything from my ship when doing non-Odyssey stuff.
That's why I gave this exemple. It's exactly something you can't understand if you don't play SC for real. "running through the ship every time i want to dock/undock" is not boring at all !
It's boring in ED because there is 0 gameplay tied to the hangar. It's just a decorative space that make you loose time and give nothing in return.
In SC, when you run through your ship, every space you encounter can be used to fight in PvP/stock equipment/stock cargo/put vehicle/get in a turret/transport friends etc. It's not decorative. Those places are used for a lot of activities. For instance, the cargo place is mandatory to transport a ROC. You must manually drive the ROC in the cargo to go on mining on a planet and drive it out of the cargo to mine.

In ED it isn't gank every time. The point is that in both games you do not know who will gank and who will not.

And sorry, but really? More to piracy? You mean the mechanics are different, not that there is more. In SC you have to board and take stuff manually. In ED you fire hatch breakers and collector limpets to pirate. There are no limpets in SC, there is no boarding in ED. Both do it differently.
There is more in SC. In SC you can ask for money for instance, the cargo is not the only way to get something of value from another player. It's a huge difference in gameplay possibilities (you can have a friend paying for your ransom, you can extort money from a ship without cargo or from a player on foot outside of his ship, etc). You can steal a ship and give it back to the player for money. You can kill a player without destroying his ship and vice versa...
Just look at the video I posted.

For sure when someone ask me to make predictions in this forum, I was happy at the time to give you something to potentially mock me at the end of the year (I only done it here). It was my little gift for you and it don't bother me. I'm happy if you are happy. I will make you others for the next year if you want.

I'm always happy to underline CIG's terrible roadmapping, and the way it drives absurd 'this year +1' claims from certain fans. So sure, that sounds like fun ;)

Your predictions were just the bookend to many such examples in this thread though, concerning CIG's relentless build towards technical step-changes and imminent great advancements. They weren't stated as a bit of fun, they were stated in earnest. And none of the grander claims have actually come to pass in the time that you've been hanging out with us.

Worth pondering maybe ;)

Could I ask you in return a prediction for the estimated date of falling of CIG ? I promise you to never use it to mock you, I have the well known "90 days top" for this.

Well you can't use the "90 days tops" quote on me Ant. I didn't say it. ¯\(ツ)/¯

Sceptics aren't monolithic, in the same way that positive backers aren't.

And no I won't predict CIG's downfall, for the same reason I won't concur with predictions of its imminent success. Their track record suggests to do so would be foolhardy ;)

But luckily for you I did make a prediction this year :)

I reckon they’ll pitch lower, and deliver a higher percentage of 'stuff', for 2022. Because it feels like there’s a pinch coming. Get those dual-use animals out the door... (SQ42 doubtless has a space-cow wrangling scene... and a bit where Old Man burns yeti limbs to stay warm...). Sell some habitation interiors why don't you. Assets are always good.

Get some stuff out the door. And make sure the door kinda works. Because launch time is getting closer... Papa Calder wants some cash...

Unluckily for you I was too optimistic, and CIG didn't add any pragmatic 'straight to PU' gameplay at Citcon ;)

I guess we'll see how and when Papa Calder comes calling for his cash though ¯\(ツ)/¯

I will say this for CIG:

At this point, they let everyone play the "alpha" a couple of times a year absolutely for free. Just create a free account, download the gigabytes and go. This year they even gave everyone a "free" ship to fly during their annual "show". Prospective customers get to test the product and assess it's performance, glitches, crashes and all BEFORE being required to make a purchase decision and these "shows" where they let everyone fly for free are stress tests for their systems, so customers get to see them at the worst BEFORE deciding whether or not to buy.

The alpha's performance currently sucks, let's be clear on that but you do not have to spend anything but some time to find that out. o7

These freefly events are an opportunity to indoctrinate people in to it for more money, which is true but what is also true is as you said it gives people the opportunity to try before buying in, and that is good.
I remember when demo's used to be a thing, most games had a free demo of sorts, now they rely on marketing alone, or most do, because to me at least most developers these days make decidedly mediocre low effort games and they rely on the marketing to make them look much more involved than they actually are, CIG do this too but they are trying to make something, they aren't settling for mediocrity and you can see that when you play the game, that draws in more people than the marketing.

I reckon he won't, as I think he's getting a percentage of "pledge funding" and as long as that cashflow stays above some treshold, he'll be satisfied.

Pure speculation of course. :)

It's possible, but in the years prior to the Calders investing CIG were running at a loss. It's only the investment money that puts them into the black. If CIG's numbers are in any way accurate it seems that there's no spare cash to skim.

(But who knows what's really going on ;))

Back
Top Bottom