Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Lol, the Orison mission isn’t even supposed to be in the PTU

We plan on running the Fleet Week Expo Halls (minus the Drake hall) and Javelin Tour/Flyby tonight starting shortly after we release to PTU

Any other events/missions around Orison are not intended at this time and are in an incomplete state

It’s a wonderful vision of future 'dynamic' events in the wild, turning themselves on, and refusing to turn off…

Last edited:
Over on Spectrum...

Replies

lol couldn't be further from a priority right now.

true for now they are prioritising bed sheet an cofee vendoor witch is way more important for a sci fi game.

And of course J3PT is there, defending CIG hard!

Yup. And honestly. I blame the dudes that mostly came to SC from ED. With their "Non-consentual PVP" This game is a simulation of real life in space. And in real life on earth just as would be so far in the future of space... Banditry happens. Thuggery happens. Violence happens.

Yes, of course, in the real world people often go around shooting at other people and their vehicles! Makes you wonder where this person lives?
What I suspect in any such similar future is people who went around blowing people up would soon end up dead. And in real life, since they are bringing it up, there will be no respawn.

One of the important things I noticed in that thread, many existing players were pushing out excuses for the bugs and saying it wasn't that bad, they had experienced worse, which was probably true, but there were a few who had purchased the game many years ago and after waiting for it to release were trying it out for the first time based on existing long time players saying it was fun....and they were...to put it mildly...unimpressed, and that's a problem, things like this;

He thinks it funny that newcomers think it's waste of money because they were expecting an actual game;

The problem is existing long time players push the illusion that SC is a playable game, I mean we have had it in this thread a lot, and new players come in thinking it's going to be like NMS or ED, only with limited game play options seeing as it is unfinished, not buggy mess that can be virtually unplayable at times. They take unfinished to mean, "well there's only 1 system at the moment but more to come," not, "killed by elevator, killed by door, server crash, fall through floor," etc.

As long as existing players push it as a fun and playable game there's a problem, because for a lot of players coming in and expecting a NMS or ED experience they are going to leave and ever come back and the reputation of the game drops. It's been argued that a lot of CIG's money comes from new players, not sure I agree with that but of course I don't have access to the accounts so can't say one way or the other, but if the reputation of CIG and the game keep getting trashed then that will eventually dry up as a source of revenue.
LA isnt long-time player and Mole and the other real long-timers give pretty good account. We mustnt assume the trolls spamming this thread are anything clise to reality

Today’s new player has a potential to become tomorrow’s new whale. The only way CIG can continue to exist is if enough of the faithful continue to evangelize its “greatness” while keeping quiet about its many long term flaws.
Please explain this "whale" term. I trust you to give me a fair and honest answer.

While I remain very interested in Star Citizen (no thanks to this thread but rather watching streamers actually enjoy the game), I'm like you in that I already feel the burden of enjoying too many games as it is. Right now Steam is updating Stellaris, which I'm sure is a wonderful game (I bought it after all), but I never play it because I'm too immersed in my other space games (and a couple not-space games). Each of these games is a full-time commitment with years potential enjoyable immersive play, so adding yet another game to this already too big list (SC) feels... premature.

So I'm likely to return to my tried and true life approach of delayed satisfaction, where I wait a good long time for things to "age well" before investing in those things. For example, my first Playstations (3 and 4) were both Slims, which IMO are way better than OG PSn's. I didn't try Skyrim until years after first launch, when it was much more polished and thus enjoyable experience. I only recently jumped into the X Universe franchise (though this is more due to ignorance than choice), so I blissfully skipped over all the growing pains associated with those games. The point is, while part of me REALLY wants to experience SC for myself, prudence and experience is telling me to wait, wait, wait. And while I'm not an early adopter, I won't mock those who are because their "willingness" to invest in a game early is what allows a company to improve the game over time for my eventual enjoyment.

I blame Obsidian Ant and Drew Wager (in a good, friendly way, as I like both these guys very much) for feeding my SC FOMO :p They need to start playing some X4 Foundations or Space Engineers instead of Star Citizen!!!

Last edited:
Sorry about how not smooth this is, something is wrong with my Nvidia Shadowplay, its producing these stuttery videos. its like its recording at 15 FPS.

Where does R2D2 go? ;)

Seriously though, how many ships have got the flappy 'physicalised modules' flaps facility now? 3?

There's the Gladius. The Hull A internally. And now the X-Wing. Any more?

As of 3.16 there were 113 flight ready ships (of 156 ships). There are a lot of variants in there (approx 40% of them). But still, that's... that's a lot of backlog. A helluva lot of artistic technical debt...

I imagine at some point they'll have to do something other than flap too ;)

Last edited:
I blame Obsidian Ant and Drew Wager (in a good, friendly way, as I like both these guys very much) for feeding my SC FOMO :p They need to start playing some X4 Foundations or Space Engineers instead of Star Citizen!!!

I think content creators in general, but especially the two you mention do not play these games the way the average consumer does. They play them for the purposes of making content, that is to fly out and look/demonstrate a new thing that has been recently added rather than the gaming mechanics that enable escapism or meaninful progression of a player.

SC is ironically optimised for the Twitch generation, look at the "new" low hanging fruit features but pleaes ignore the unworking software that it is presented in as that's just "alpha".

Please explain this "whale" term. I trust you to give me a fair and honest answer.

While I remain very interested in Star Citizen (no thanks to this thread but rather watching streamers actually enjoy the game), I'm like you in that I already feel the burden of enjoying too many games as it is. Right now Steam is updating Stellaris, which I'm sure is a wonderful game (I bought it after all), but I never play it because I'm too immersed in my other space games (and a couple not-space games). Each of these games is a full-time commitment with years potential enjoyable immersive play, so adding yet another game to this already too big list (SC) feels... premature.

So I'm likely to return to my tried and true life approach of delayed satisfaction, where I wait a good long time for things to "age well" before investing in those things. For example, my first Playstations (3 and 4) were both Slims, which IMO are way better than OG PSn's. I didn't try Skyrim until years after first launch, when it was much more polished and thus enjoyable experience. I only recently jumped into the X Universe franchise (though this is more due to ignorance than choice), so I blissfully skipped over all the growing pains associated with those games. The point is, while part of me REALLY wants to experience SC for myself, prudence and experience is telling me to wait, wait, wait. And while I'm not an early adopter, I won't mock those who are because their "willingness" to invest in a game early is what allows a company to improve the game over time for my eventual enjoyment.

Whales are high-yield individuals in terms if monetisation of - well any product I guess. Kinda became eminent with mobile game mtx when devs discovered they could milk some customers with insane returns.
The ease of credit card payments plays into it.

I think content creators in general, but especially the two you mention do not play these games the way the average consumer does.
One of the reasons I like OA and Drew is that they play games more like I myself do, which is also not the way the average consumer does. When I'm tempted to try SC, it's for the sight-seeing and exploration and even "walking around" aspect that attracts me to it (thanks to the very amazing graphics) more than the "blow stuff up" and "collect 100 ships" gameplay the average player is more interested it.

That said, this type of gameplay will only get you so far. Red Dead Online is the most amazing game I currently own regarding graphics and immersive world, and yet I have grown bored with it due to lack of meaningful gameplay. Thankfully I got my $5 worth out of it many times over, just from the exploration and hunting aspect, but I really don't play it anymore. As a game, I don't rate it very high. As an experience, it was definitely a must have for me. I look at SC with similar expectations, at least as it currently stands.

I think content creators in general, but especially the two you mention do not play these games the way the average consumer does. They play them for the purposes of making content, that is to fly out and look/demonstrate a new thing that has been recently added rather than the gaming mechanics that enable escapism or meaninful progression of a player.

SC is ironically optimised for the Twitch generation, look at the "new" low hanging fruit features but pleaes ignore the unworking software that it is presented in as that's just "alpha".
Ask J-Frags about low-hanging fruit. Must have taken long hours to sort out the vids that the gullible can present as authentic gameplay.

As of 3.16 there were 113 flight ready ships (of 156 ships). There are a lot of variants in there (approx 40% of them). But still, that's... that's a lot of backlog. A helluva lot of artistic technical debt...

Oh forgot, I found this recently:

On ship engineering (& life support): Reworking existing ships "quite significantly"

They hope to launch the engineering system & life support 'room system' together to avoid doing all this 'twice'... ;)

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SThXa1KZzSI&t=2236s

Lando: This follow-up question is probably very similar to the life support one uh: Regarding resource management: will content teams need to rework existing ships before this can be implemented in the PU?

Yes quite significantly actually. Yes because we have some legacy systems that work but are not the ideal way that we intended to have it work. So there are some optimizations that we have to do, so that it runs performant and that... we don't put too much stress on on everything... Which is already quite stressed so... Yeah there's a lot to do for on our side. So every ship needs to be touched, and every item that is existing also needs to be touched.

The good thing is that it's kind of going to be a bit combined, I think, with the life support, so they're, because they both use obviously resource system, so just like, at least, it won't have to be done twice. Hopefully. Maybe.

Hopefully. Maybe...

Throw in the utterly daft materials rework and... Yeah. There ain't no such thing as 'gold standard' for these ships ;)

Last edited:
Strangely enough...even I agree with you :D

3.17 was pushed out to keep a quarterly patch deadline that was more than likely set by the investors...that's perfectly obvious. In the latter stages of PTU we were still cataloging bugs, performance issues and server problems old and new when the decision was taken to shove it to live. 3.17.1 is a tad better (in PTU testing). That will change of course when it goes live with the added problems of the marketing driven Invictus week accompanied by a free-fly...

3.17.1 still has many, many issues of course, but they're mostly the perennials we've all grown to expect little to no resolution for as dev resources are being increasingly squandered on Sqn 404. The PU is being used strictly as a marketing tool to bolster Sqn 404's bottomless pit of development demands...and also increasingly being starved of vital dev resources outside of that primary sales and marketing focus.
Releasing a bugged version close to a free-fly event rings a bell. Haven't CIG donesn't this exact same thing before?

My observation about SC developers being moved to 404 is that, as they (apparently) share the same 'base', they will both suffer from the same bugs. I may be out of date here, but isn't gettiong one working the same as getting both working? I am assuming here that 404 emerges, and is more than 2 1/2 hours of dreadful dialogue spoken with little conviction by big-name talent, interspersed with a few 'on rails' moments.

I've looong been beyond caring but do find this thread amusing. Happy Tuesday everyone!

Top Bottom