Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I spend even less on tickets to SATAball games and Sandwurmie treats.
I make a ton of credits in game grinding the quantainium mining...doesn't mean much since it'll all get wiped at some point. I was daft enough to have bought a few ships over the years so I don't need to go grinding credits for ships in game like a lot of folk do and all my ships are fully upgraded...aUEC is worthless at the end of the day, plus I class Sovapid as a mate in that we both play regularly... so here today, gone tomorrow. Puts it to better use than losing it all to 30k's.

Pay to win? Of course it is ;)

BkWg3F7.jpg

Last edited:
A random quote from a random person on a random forum taken from SA.

Interesting point of view though.

I have kind of a unique view of Amazon Game Studios: I have good friends (former coworkers) who were working on Crucible for years, and I personally was involved with Intensity and another project (Sculpin) as an art outsource contracting manager (I ran the art team tasks day-to-day and was the US point of contact for the Amazon team). We all lived the stupidity that was Lumberyard, in various ways.

. . .

If you're going to fork an engine, fork a good one. Don't fork the one that was good a few times for a while, years back, and then went bankrupt because it was a pain in the rear end to use. Especially don't fork it and then burn all your dev budget and schedule bolting stuff to it that is actually meant to sell your parent corps' cloud services, instead of making a game.

Lumberyard is junk. It's an old Cryengine build that's missing basic features, like artists assembling materials without breaking open HLSL, but hey - it can live stream on Twitch, and scale microtransactions, and pipe your studio gobs of data about your players with everything down to their shoe size! None of it actually helps a team make a better game; lots of it actually gets in the way. It's literally a Steve Buscemi "how do you do fellow game developers" meme in the form of a CryEngine fork. The sample content is embarassingly bad, the documentation is terrible, the tools are broken, and when we HAD to finally raise some of those issues to Amazon - and we used other engines that work that start with "U" in comparison - they actually cut us off mid sentence and said "we're not allowed to mention those at all here. We can't even reference them internally or install them to compare stuff. The lawyers get involved." It was almost Kafka-esque.

Shamelessly stolen from SA:
It’s been repeated many times that in order to maintain control of the fidelitous economy (and other reasons) there’s a 9 to 1 ratio of npc’s to players. Assume for a second that SC becomes the most popular MMO of all time, it’d need 13 million current active players or so in order to eclipse Wrath-era World of Warcraft.

SC needs to be prepared to simulate the real lives of 120,000,000 npcs.

They just need to add a lot of chairs to stand on

Just noticed the Spanish SC thread. Interesting to note the salt flowing there as well.

Russian sub forum is quite on the topic. Only 1 recent post, negative.

German sub forum - nothing, although not surprising. So many Germans speak English, often better than native speakers!

French sub forum - nope, nothing.

Just noticed the Spanish SC thread. Interesting to note the salt flowing there as well.

Russian sub forum is quite on the topic. Only 1 recent post, negative.

German sub forum - nothing, although not surprising. So many Germans speak English, often better than native speakers!

French sub forum - nope, nothing.
What the... how many languages do you spiik?

Frazzini was more fixated on another project anyway. Amazon’s designers and programmers needed a game engine, a collection of tools used to build games. For most studios, there are really only two options. Epic’s Unreal Engine is Coke, and Unity Software Inc. is Pepsi. Amazon, in effect, decided to make an RC Cola. In 2014, it licensed technology from the German company Crytek for a homemade engine called Lumberyard. Frazzini then assigned a team of engineers to build the engine and released it to the public in 2016 for free. The tools are intertwined with Amazon Web Services, setting up Lumberyard as a way to draw a new class of software developers to the business. Frazzini, who reports to Web Services Chief Andy Jassy, also mandated that all Amazon games be built with Lumberyard, rather than pay for Unreal or Unity.

Lumberyard became a bogeyman around the office. Some features required esoteric commands to function, and the system was painfully slow. Developers played Halo or watched Amazon Prime Video while waiting for Lumberyard to process art or compile code, several former employees say. A common refrain around the office, according to a former employee: “Lumberyard is killing this company.”

"At least let us pass for money!" :D

Still didn't answer as to why you use the Ghost instead of the SH...if it's better than the SH I'll pop down to area 18 and buy one then fit all the crap from the SH onto it. I used to do that with the standard 7C, fit the SH turrets and guns on it because it had a smaller profile, less shield holes and no silly passenger seat ...

Last edited:
RE: Lumberyard being a flaming dumpster pile of poop. It's been known for a decade that CE was never good. So these SA sources are not really surprising in that way. The way Lumberyard was shoved in the face of devs reeks of corporate management corruption, they very certainly got some fat checks and/or new cars and vacations in paradise islands all paid for. I've seen that happen for much lower profile contracts (*). The devs then had to try and live with that new reality, or leave the company.

(*) and no i did unfortunately not get any "gift" as i was just a lowly dev myself, otherwise i would not be here typing this ;)

RE: Lumberyard being a flaming dumpster pile of poop. It's been known for a decade that CE was never good. So these SA sources are not really surprising in that way. The way Lumberyard was shoved in the face of devs reeks of corporate management corruption, they very certainly got some fat checks and/or new cars and vacations in paradise islands all paid for. I've seen that happen for much lower profile contracts (*). The devs then had to try and live with that new reality, or leave the company.

(*) and no i did unfortunately not get any "gift" as i was just a lowly dev myself, otherwise i would not be here typing this ;)

Nah, people in companies being forced to use the company's own products is pretty normal, even when there is a compelling case to use a competitors.

Many moons ago I had to set up a helpdesk while working in Siemens. Naturally i started comparing the call center solutions on the market, put together a comparison based on price, features, support costs, etc.

Siemen's offering was the worst in just about every category. But management said no choice, I had to use the Siemens solution. Oh, and you think i could negotiate a lower price, you know, Siemens being a part of Siemens? LOL... no. Our department had to pay full price for everything, because of course, the part of Siemens that provided the solution knew we had no choice but to pay, whereas if we were an external company we could have use the leverage of competing products to bargain them down.

Top Bottom