Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Yes, the 'rooms' have been hand crafted like everything in SC. Each cave use this rooms connected to each others and a same room can be found in several caves. SC is not a voxel game like NMS or Astroneer.

I guess its similar to how you make levels in Dungeon Siege.

There are building blocks and you stitch them together to create varied "maps".

We're in the 3rd month of this quarter. What is the "dynamic event" for the next release? :giggle:
A pirate blockade of a station from what I can gather...Blue-tails lockdown or something like that... whatever the NPC pirate clan is called in Stanton.

Last edited:
Hand crafted rooms connected together by hand is 100% hand crafted. We'd know if they were procedural because there would be caves sticking out above the planet surface, or intersecting each other, or all sorts of other artifacts like with everything that's a technical challenge and not a trivial asset task that CIG attempts.
Not neccessarily. There'd be little reason to have "persistent procedural" caves. Warframe's corridors and rooms are lego blocks arranged randomly by a ruleset. The result is random yet familiar when you run through, but my corridors are not in the shared game world.
However we know how anal they are with "pershmistence".

Not neccessarily. There'd be little reason to have "persistent procedural" caves. Warframe's corridors and rooms are lego blocks arranged randomly by a ruleset. The result is random yet familiar when you run through, but my corridors are not in the shared game world.
However we know how anal they are with "pershmistence".

If we are talking rulesets for building systems of caves randomly we can look at games like Daggerfall or even earlier, Moria/Angband.

I'm sure some backers will still declare its never been done before though.

Funny how they have prefix with how much they have spent and how much they love the game. Got to avoid being called a troll or a hater somehow.

A lot of people being realistic or cynical.

But then you get people like this:

That said, we don't need a 100 systems. Everything we want could be accomplished in ten

So its totally fine to go back on kickstarter pledges then i guess.

Especially if one of them is Sol.

Dear gods, can you imagine how many years Sol will take? CR will obsess over every tiny detail.

Also some people being realistic how if they do release it won't be everything promised. Which is a far cry from the mantra that existed a few years ago, when SC backers would say "I'm glad CIG are taking their time to release a finished product unlike certain other companies that rush out an incomplete product"

They are clearly at least into the bargaining stage of grief now.

Oh, classic.

All you have to do is realize that what they've been doing for the past 9 years will be very different from what they will be doing for the next 9.

Yes yes, we've been hearing that one for the last 5 years at least.

Wow, even more delusional

Look at crusader then look how quickly they spun up pyro. Crusader was the entire 9 years and pyro is largely done in less than 1.

Amazing, he thinks they actually have Pyro done! Is this SC's equivalent of CMDR Thrust from Bradford?

Last edited:
Oooh, and remember the kerfuffle when CIG suggested they would release with 5-10 systems but after the outrage they walked back on it saying what they meant to say was they would have 5-10 systems done by the time all major features were ready and of course they were still aiming for 100+ systems at launch.

Also its funny in that thread how many backers don't seem to know they actually backed for more than 100 systems.

LOL and Synthwave has already stepped in and locked the thread.

Can't have speculation about negative things now can we?

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Oooh, and remember the kerfuffle when CIG suggested they would release with 5-10 systems but after the outrage they walked back on it saying what they meant to say was they would have 5-10 systems done by the time all major features were ready and of course they were still aiming for 100+ systems at launch.

Yeah, but what is launch/release anyways? Check mate.

PS: btw does anybody have a link to this now famous quote?

PSS. Also relevant to recent conversations in this thread, this response in the 20+ year thread

Bruh the CIG offices are going to look like the god damn Hurston business building soon lmao, big ass building visible from orbit with large pictures of all of the CEO's of CIG from Chris Roberts to his great great great great grandchild Christianna Robertoblerone
:LOL:

There is a good number of hilarious responses in that thread.

Last edited:
Yes, the 'rooms' have been hand crafted like everything in SC. Each cave use this rooms connected to each others and a same room can be found in several caves. SC is not a voxel game like NMS or Astroneer.
That would not be what proc gen is about, at all.
And yes these caves are 100% hand crafted. That they copy pasted some "cave rooms" from one to the other doesnt change that, they did the whole 3D modelling down to each rock, by hand, for each one of these "rooms". Then placed everything manually in each correct position on the planet. From the mouth of devs themselves. A whole team spent months doing just that task. Do you still think you'll see 100 systems before 26th century ?

I mean, there are pros and cons to both approaches and not say CIG's approach is bad, especially with fewer locations. Its not an approach that would work well in ED i think. But it does highlight a very different philosophy behind the game.

Like Mole says, despite both being space games with kind of similar gameplay, they are very different games.

Social hubs will primarily be built for efficiency, Hughes said, with quest givers and vendors positioned in roughly the same location from site to site. Players should expect more intimate interactions, including questlines with lots of dialogue. But the architecture will look very much the same from place to place.

“Time is money in Elite,” Hughes said, “so we didn’t really want people to have to find it laborious to engage with these [social hubs] when they’ve got stuff to do. So we’re trying to find that really fine balance between them feeling unique within the three kind of categories that I outlined, that they’re efficient to navigate through, and they have a real visual punch.”

Having huge sprawling unique social hubs make a great deal of sense if you envisage your players having a "home base" they operate from. The concept of a "home base" in Elite makes no sense because Elite has 20,000+ inhabited systems and probably 100,000 or more stations. If you have a small map with tens of systems having a home base isn't a bad idea, but a fully simulated galaxy makes a big difference.

That would not be what proc gen is about, at all.
And yes these caves are 100% hand crafted. That they copy pasted some "cave rooms" from one to the other doesnt change that, they did the whole 3D modelling down to each rock, by hand, for each one of these "rooms". Then placed everything manually in each correct position on the planet. From the mouth of devs themselves. A whole team spent months doing just that task. Do you still think you'll see 100 systems before 26th century ?
If you have a complete library of rooms at disposal, a solid system to manage lights and a team used to do it, it's quick. That will be the job of Turbulent. Creating a new 'room' takes time but it's a one time job. Each room in library reduces the overall time needed to create a good cave for an artist team.
Take a game like trackmania, if you want to create a track, you just have to pick sections in a library and it doesn't take long to finish the whole track.

If you have a complete library of rooms at disposal, a solid system to manage lights and a team used to do it, it's quick. That will be the job of Turbulent. Creating a new 'room' takes time but it's a one time job. Each room in library reduces the overall time needed to create a good cave for an artist team.
My dear LittleAnt - CI-G have been doing that for years and stil managed to get nowhere.

Remember the lovely little outpost they procedurally generated carefully hand-built for the space lobsters?

Remember the lovely little outpost they procedurally generated carefully hand-built for the space lobsters?
I remember it. So what ?

They design a lot of assets in 'parts' or 'rooms' that can be connected. One of the last isc shows it. It's standard practice in the game industry.

They design a lot of assets in 'parts' or 'rooms' that can be connected. One of the last isc shows it. It's standard practice in the game industry.
Because the standard practice is not procedural generation.
Proc gen would imply the whole placement, and layout of each cave would be given to an algorithm. The amount of caves, their layout, and even their placement would then be not known precisely, that's the whole point (and would allow something called "exploration", which they sold very expensive ships for).
Also standard practice in the industry is to keep to the initial scope of the project. Here, caves are just out of place in a space game.

Because the standard practice is not procedural generation.
Proc gen would imply the whole placement, and layout of each cave would be given to an algorithm. The amount of caves, their layout, and even their placement would then be not known precisely, that's the whole point (and would allow something called "exploration", which they sold very expensive ships for).
Also standard practice in the industry is to keep to the initial scope of the project. Here, caves are just out of place in a space game.
But why are you talking about proc gen ? I never said CIG was doing caves or structure with proc gen...
And exploration in SC is tied to generated temporary POI, not discovering static places.

Top Bottom