Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I don't doubt that the SC team could be unfarily overworked (the mismanagement of the SC project is well known), but the source being Kotaku has me skeptical. When Jason Schrier left for Forbes, he took what shred of credibility Kotaku had with him.

Kotaku has been on the decline for years, and SC is an easy target. Kotaku could easily be trying to smear them for cheap journalistic points. Kotaku has also done this before IIRC, with the Terraria (or was it Stardew Valley? Or Rimworld?) dev, making mountains out of molehills and exaggerating the truth to push a narrative.

I don't doubt that the SC team could be unfarily overworked (the mismanagement of the SC project is well known), but the source being Kotaku has me skeptical. When Jason Schrier left for Forbes, he took what shred of credibility Kotaku had with him.

Kotaku has been on the decline for years, and SC is an easy target. Kotaku could easily be trying to smear them for cheap journalistic points. Kotaku has also done this before IIRC, with the Terraria (or was it Stardew Valley? Or Rimworld?) dev, making mountains out of molehills and exaggerating the truth to push a narrative.

The source being Kotaku is one thing, but unless you want to accuse them of outright lying, then you have to take the statements as presented as being accurate. This of course doesn't mean there are not just disgruntled people (6 of them, in Austin) out to make CIG look bad, but Kotaku do say they saw emails from CIG reflecting the statements by the sources.

If Star Citizen/CIG are an easy target it is only because they bring it on themselves. No one needs to make anything up :)
It's also not surprising at all in the videogame industry in general, and if we add the abysmal management at CiG to the equation, yeah I could totally see all of that happening. Kotaku just went for a low effort, easy clickbait article. What was surprising though was EA helping their employees. As FTR said, CiG sank below the level of a company that's known as one of the worst employers in the US...

At least now, I've managed to work out what 'PTO' is for ordinary working people... in my world, a PTO is a big piece of hydro-mechanical gearbox wizardry at the back of my tractor where I attach the driven parts of things like ploughs, harrows, balers and muck spreaders :rolleyes:

It's a really magical thing and practically revolutionised farming. Before PTO's, most of our farming was powered by stuff you had to drive with a whip...children, wives, slaves, horses...that kind of stuff ;)

Last edited:
At least now, I've managed to work out what 'PTO' is for ordinary working people... in my world, a PTO is a big piece of hydro-mechanical gearbox wizardry at the back of my tractor where I attach the driven parts of things like ploughs, harrows, balers and muck spreaders :rolleyes:

They are also absolutely insanely dangerous and utterly not to be trifled with in case of unexpected immediate termination.

A bit like ramps in Star Citizen.

It's a really magical thing and practically revolutionised farming. Before PTO's, most of our farming was powered by stuff you had to drive with a whip...children, wives, slaves, horses...that kind of stuff ;)

As I understand, in the US, they also combine paid sick days with annual leave (as PTO), so no matter how many doctor's notes you have, eventually you can end up eating into your paid vacation.

Last place i worked we had 20 vacation days (where you had to notify in advance), 10 duvet days, and generally sick days (the odd one here or there) they didn't ask about as long as you didn't take the mickey. With a doctor's note, i'm not sure what the limit was, but i had several weeks off on full pay with a broken hand and another few weeks another year with pneumonia.

That reminds me. Congratulations, backers!

grats.jpg

children, wives, slaves, horses, backers, CI-G employees...
I think your PTO is actually just the same as their.

CIG devs genuinely seem to love working for CIG compared to every other game dev they worked for. Even Tyler's recent interview with some streamers show that CIG was something better than what you find in the industry.

Either some of those quotes are made up or they're not attributed to actual employees. Something smells fishy, even for Kotaku
Suggesting Kotaku made it up or didn't vet their sources. Also Tyler's interview with streamers somehow shows CIG devs love working for CIG?

I had to go back and verify that as actually being from an employee (in this case "said one source") because this sounds very much like what a normal Kotaku article on SC boils down to.

If it's actually a quote from a source within CIG, it makes me wonder why they bother to stick with developing the game if they don't think it's going anywhere.

/Seriously, though, that doesn't sound like a quote from a disgruntled employee, that sounds like a quote from a disgruntled player/reporter
Again, suggesting Kotaku didn't vet their sources.

Also suggesting its like an easy thing to switch jobs for anyone. Sometimes its not that easy, especially if you have family.

There's clickbait and then there's libel. We'll see how far CIG pushes this - my untrained eye suggests there is a clear case for it here. Careful with the blatant lies, Kotaku. There are laws for that...

Saying its libel. Ok, go on then CIG, sue Kotaku. I'll get the popcorn.

Not zero - the ENTIRE Austin office is coming out saying it's false. They'll have to demonstrate a reliable source. There will be a burden on them to back up what they stated. They referenced emails? They better produce them, etc...

This is looking very, very promising for libel.
Another suggestion its libel. Yes, go on CIG, sue them!
Its good popcorn material regardless of how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom