State of the Game

that is why you can buy ready-to-use puff-pastry sheets - I use them for pies and several ... Wellington dishes (salmon filet, beef tenderloin, lamb loin) all the time, I doubt I could make them any better myself - so just save yourself the hassle and use those pastry sheets, just pay attention that they are made with butter.
I remember the first time my mam was in a hurry and used frozen puff-pastry sheets making a couple of apple tarts, instead of the normal home-made shortcrust. She was absolutely gutted afterwards since myself and my brothers absolutely horsed them down, proclaiming that they were the best pies she'd ever made, and to please use that pastry from now on.

In fact, the best steak and kidney pie I've ever had was one I made myself with puff pastry sheets, back when you could find kidneys over in the shops here in the States. Dredged the chunks in some seasoned flour, browned them off in a pan with some onions, deglazed the pan with a little bit of red wine, add beef stock (coughOXOcough), and some Worcester sauce, thicken, pour into a puff pastry shell, bingo bongo. (It probably wasn't as good as I remember, but it was the only S&K pie I'd had in about a decade, and I haven't had one since.)

that is why you can buy ready-to-use puff-pastry sheets - I use them for pies and several ... Wellington dishes (salmon filet, beef tenderloin, lamb loin) all the time, I doubt I could make them any better myself - so just save yourself the hassle and use those pastry sheets, just pay attention that they are made with butter.
I don't normally get sheets as quite often I'm changing what I make based on circumstances. Puff pastry is not hard to make, it just takes time to rest, roll etc. I also like to keep my skills up :D

This post is brought to you by the number 8...

Number 8.jpg

they're upside down...so who knows what those guys down there do with words.

even the others aren't on the same page though.

1's a med facility, 1's a resort, 1's a KGB prison

I've had some great times with good people from all different nationalities while traveling around the USA in my youth - and the food was great, especially in the south.
Don't let a couple of halfwits taint your view, most people are decent and a bit of a laugh. (y)
Great place to visit, but living here if you don't grow up in the culture can be rough. There's a reason a lot of immigrants stay within their own circles in the bigger cities.

I'd buy a one way ticket and be on the next plane home in the morning if I could, but my wife has other ideas.

Great place to visit, but living here if you don't grow up in the culture can be rough. There's a reason a lot of immigrants stay within their own circles in the bigger cities.

I'd buy a one way ticket and be on the next plane home in the morning if I could, but my wife has other ideas.
Its too bad that's been your experience. The cities are def rough though, which is why I don't live in or even near them. (nearest city is 20 miles and under 50K population)

Though I'm never planning on leaving the US again, except maybe, big maybe, a few trips to Canada at some point in the future. This is mostly due to my extreme dislike of traveling via airplane.

How often do you get a chance to visit home?

Last edited:
Its too bad that's been your experience. The cities are def rough though, which is why I don't live in or even near them.

Though I'm never planning on leaving the US again, except maybe, big maybe, a few trips to Canada at some point in the future. This is mostly due to my extreme dislike of traveling via airplane.

How often do you get a chance to visit home?
I've been here 20-odd years and still can't wrap my head around the absolute need here to accumulate stuff and debt. Madness. My wife and I do well, we make good money, we live within our means. So many friends of ours though overextend on houses, or done stupid things like take out second mortgages to pay for home cinemas or hot tubs, or giant pickup trucks. The work life is mental, so many living to work and not working to live. Mind you, every time I go back home to Cork I'm noticing its getting more and more like that as well so I'm probably eyeing it with "grass is always greener" syndrome. (Although living in California the grass is literally greener everywhere else since the place is in a permanent drought and usually on fire.)

The tipping point came when my (then) five year old daughter came home from pre-kindergarten one day, and when I asked her what she learned at school that day she replied "We learned that if bad people come to the school with guns to lock the door and stay away from the windows and hide under our desks or in the toilet." Just... nope.

I used to get home every year before I moved to California (used to be in Washington DC) and we had our girl, then it became every other year. Thanks to covid and whatnot, I've not been back in four years. I had tickets booked for myself last year in March to go see my aunt before she passed away, but Trump shut the borders the night before I was leaving, and had to cancel.

I've been here 20-odd years and still can't wrap my head around the absolute need here to accumulate stuff and debt. Madness. My wife and I do well, we make good money, we live within our means. So many friends of ours though overextend on houses, or done stupid things like take out second mortgages to pay for home cinemas or hot tubs, or giant pickup trucks. The work life is mental, so many living to work and not working to live. Mind you, every time I go back home to Cork I'm noticing its getting more and more like that as well so I'm probably eyeing it with "grass is always greener" syndrome. (Although living in California the grass is literally greener everywhere else since the place is in a permanent drought and usually on fire.)
Its the downside of "The American Dream". Many, many people forget the power vs. responsibility balance and fall into the entitlement trap. Been there, done that and fixed it. (not the entitled part, but the getting in over my head part, took many years of hard work to fix that)

The tipping point came when my (then) five year old daughter came home from pre-kindergarten one day, and when I asked her what she learned at school that day she replied "We learned that if bad people come to the school with guns to lock the door and stay away from the windows and hide under our desks or in the toilet." Just... nope.
That one is hard on everyone and there's no easy solution one way or another. I've experienced gun violence my entire life and it is absolutely devastating. Though there is another side to that coin which I can't comment on here due to forum rules. By personal choice, I'm not currently a gun owner, for the past 25+ years, though I feel that getting closer every year lately.

I used to get home every year before I moved to California (used to be in Washington DC) and we had our girl, then it became every other year. Thanks to covid and whatnot, I've not been back in four years. I had tickets booked for myself last year in March to go see my aunt before she passed away, but Trump shut the borders the night before I was leaving, and had to cancel.
That sucks. I was in Germany when my father passed and, for reasons, could not get home until weeks after the burial. I understand how much that sucks.

I want to end this on a good note. Anyone got any suggestions? I'm tapped out...

That one is hard on everyone and there's no easy solution one way or another. I've experienced gun violence my entire life and it is absolutely devastating. Though there is another side to that coin which I can't comment on here due to forum rules. By personal choice, I'm not currently a gun owner, for the past 25+ years, though I feel that getting closer every year lately.
I currently own a few that are locked in a safe. (My best friend over the road here is VERY much into them). There's a Jim Jefferies bit that sums it up nicely which I can't post on here because language, but... if you were to look up "Jim Jefferies gun control" on the Youtubes, you'd find it easily enough! ;)

Top Bottom