Study finds that 74% have been harrassed in online muliplayer games.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I've played online, off and on, for probably a couple of decades and can not recall experiencing most of what that article is describing. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of course it does, but as has already been said, ignore or move on to something else. This kind of thing has been going on since Adam was a lad and is not something peculiar to being online. Anyone who hasn't experienced a bully at school, or got picked on by the gang in the other street, or threatened by some drunk womble down the pub has probably led a pretty lucky life.

Also, I have a natural scepticism for any article which starts with ' A study finds...'
Only last year the papers were trying to convince me my beloved sausages were going to kill me because ' A study finds...'

Last edited:
I've played online, off and on, for probably a couple of decades and can not recall experiencing most of what that article is describing. Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of course it does, but as has already been said, ignore or move on to something else. This kind of thing has been going on since Adam was a lad and is not something peculiar to being online. Anyone who hasn't experienced a bully at school, or got picked on by the gang in the other street, or threatened by some drunk womble down the pub has probably led a pretty lucky life.

Also, I have a natural scepticism for any article which starts with ' A study finds...'
Only last year the papers were trying to convince me my beloved sausages were going to kill me because ' A study finds...'
What kind of sausage? For grilling?

Well the company that conducted the poll is called "Anti-Defamation League". That should give you a hint as to whether they are gathering data and making conlusions out of that (i.e. science) or they have a narrative to push and are gathering data that support that narrative.

(spoiler - I looked at their website. No, it's not a scientific study.)

So you pick the smallest aspect of the OP to undermine the entire post? That's pretty low-level trolling right there. If you think there's no harassment in online games, no holocaust denial, anti-semitism, homophobia or plain old-fashioned misogyny you need to provide the evidence.

Holocaust denial and antisemitism instead of plain racism? You have an agenda too... :)

This has probably already been posted here, but I'd like to make a couple very important points.

1. The games that are listed in the report as being the safest include Fortnite, however the second most influential game which causes players change their online behavior to protect themselves is also... Fortnite. I'm having a hard time digesting the data analysis that these two seemingly conflicting statistics suggest.

2. Why the heck is it in here? All of the games listed are mainstream games. Elite is almost off the grid in comparison. The statistical measurements are from an entirely different population. It would be similar to biting into an orange and reporting that this apple tastes like crap. (Yes, it's like comparing apples to oranges).

Not really why I posted the image...but a clever tactic all the same using it to artificially reinforce your standpoint.

Personally....I just think folks are becoming way too precious with the internet filling their constant need for attention. ...But, I'm old and from a generation where home telephones were a luxury and only the rich folks had colour TV's. ;)

The world's changed. Younger folks will have never experienced a world where there was no Internet. With this in mind the "online" and "IRL" divide is not as strict as they used to. See: the whole kids/Fortnight premium skins thing, where kids who don't have the nice skins are, essentially, bullied for it (by both "IRL" and "online" peer groups that are often fluid).

I work in tech. I got my Computer Science degree just before the WWW was invented. The world has changed, and some of the ways in which it has frankly disturbs me. What we, as old gits, see as a luxury is an integral part of life for kids - they do not control their environment so they have little choice in engaging.

As a straight white male who doesn't really play multiplayer or MMO games, the window that randoms have to abuse me is pretty minimal.

I have no answers to any of the questions that this brings up.

This has probably already been posted here, but I'd like to make a couple very important points.

1. The games that are listed in the report as being the safest include Fortnite, however the second most influential game which causes players change their online behavior to protect themselves is also... Fortnite. I'm having a hard time digesting the data analysis that these two seemingly conflicting statistics suggest.

2. Why the heck is it in here? All of the games listed are mainstream games. Elite is almost off the grid in comparison. The statistical measurements are from an entirely different population. It would be similar to biting into an orange and reporting that this apple tastes like crap. (Yes, it's like comparing apples to oranges).
Well, the "Study" also say 74% players have been harrassed in online games" and "88% of players have been satisfied with their experience in online games" in one breath.
This study really doesn't tell you much. It's just random numbers and ridiculous conclusions.

I like oranges better, too. Keep your apple. I mean I like apple soss, but a meaty orange - I'd take that over apple any day.

But to go with beefy, juicy sausage? No fruit please - for that I take a good (!) ketchup. Gotta emphasize "good" here, the kind that flows thicc with tomatoes and not some industrial filling stuff. Or a nice mustard. Sausage and mustard - that is like honeymoon after wedding.

But to go with beefy, juicy sausage? No fruit please - for that I take a good (!) ketchup. Gotta emphasize "good" here, the kind that flows thicc with tomatoes and not some industrial filling stuff. Or a nice mustard. Sausage and mustard - that is like honeymoon after wedding.

Excuse me but are you being bigoted against certain types of ketchup?

THAT'S IT!! I'M OFFENDED! I NEED A SAFE SPACE!

(Someone call the waaaaambulance)

I like oranges better, too. Keep your apple. I mean I like apple soss, but a meaty orange - I'd take that over apple any day.

All joking aside, I'm partial to knackwurst covered in mustard on top of a bed of sauerkraut sauteed with a whole stick of butter. Jus sayin

Not really why I posted the image...but a clever tactic all the same using it to artificially reinforce your standpoint.

Personally....I just think folks are becoming way too precious with the internet filling their constant need for attention. ...But, I'm old and from a generation where home telephones were a luxury and only the rich folks had colour TV's. ;)

It's literally his role in the film, I thought it was very ironic that you use a bigot to artificially reinforce your opinion of the thread, without actually adding anything beneficial to the discussion.

Drive-by trolling is the term I believe.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom