Summer 2024 DLC Speculation

Yes that's why people need to temper their expectations.

However since that's hasn't happened yet, I doubt people will start doing that just before last pack drops.

Zookeeper's pack will definitely have some fan favorites. Some.
I think if we do get a zookeepers collection pack (which we probably will) then they will choose more popular animals. I think we’ll have a couple that are well known and requested (baboon, bird and maybe a monkey) but we’ll also get ones that are generally popular - whether we want them or not. This is why I put the Honey Badger in my prediction - because no one predicts it for a final pack, but it’s generally popular + it’s a clone. Same thing with the serval which I really think is gonna show up in a collection pack.

Last edited:
TBH, given the format of the DLC packs, I think people exaggerate the number of "missteps" that Frontier has had. It's all about trade-offs. The Tropical Pack is a great example. They could have swapped one of the other mammals for a New World monkey, sure, but we'd be in the same spot we're in now. Except instead of saying "we need more SA primates" we'd be asking for the fossa or red river hog. The monitor was a weird pick, but I think we were destined for a reptile in that pack regardless to keep the pack "balanced." And there's a few instances where they've picked odd species early on (e.g., giant otter rather than ASCO or the NA river otter) but that was before they were keen on letting us have "smaller" species in general...

The issue, to me, is the themes selected rather than any specific species selected for inclusion. The lone two examples I can think of that were obvious and deliberate misses were two of the ungulate picks for the Arid pack (one of these could have gone to a baboon; or both could have been used to incorporate a rep from North or Central America) and the quokka instead of the tree kangaroo in Oceania.

But other than that, I can think of wonky themes but not so much species selection (at least in the context of Frontier trying to provide balanced packs).
Actually to me the miss in the tropical pack was the monitor. It was the oddball choice no one was expecting and while it gaves an updated monitor it didn't add anything new (we already has a SEA monitor) nor asked for. Either a tropical South American animal like Tamandua or a bird like the Scarlet ibis would've been much better. The other problem with the Tropical pack is that it should've been an animal pack. Scenery is amazing i wouldn't want for it to go away but tropical rainforests have soooo many popular and charismatic animals that making the pack a scenery pack felt very restrictive.

The Wetlands animal pack was another one that for.me has some of the biggest misfires. I've said before that the spectacled caiman is my favorite caimán in game but having already the Cuvier's dwarf caiman it felt very redundant. The pack was missing a waterfowl (a proper waterfowl) and either the lechwe or the caimán could have been it (and having the swan does not compensate because we are still missing a duck). The lechwe was a weird choice as well. Yes looks pretty yada yada but there were some more popular options avaible like the Pere David deer

A lot of people love the skunk in Twilight. I just think is boring and something else could've been way more interesting. They didn't even put that much work into it's animations.

Then you have the saiga in Eurasia... When the blackbuck was right there, at the very least as a companion piece to the sloth bear. But i know the saiga was Indeed popular (like i was very surprised to learn after release) so i know this is a personal gripe more than anything.

And yeah Arid was the worst case of all.

Oceanía feels like a last minute change to.me now that i've learnt that the quokka has climbing animations. Like they were preparing for the tree kangaroo but had to change them for the quokka in the end because it didn't work out.

"Zookeeper collection" sounds like one of those perfect packs on the paper untill frontier find a way to ruin it by throwing the least desireble animals by no reason at all.
I think it's near guaranteed that frontier sprinkles some "love" into a zookeeper pack.
I jump between the two opinions, yeah we can look at what Frontier has put out in the past year or so: heavy on the same animals that have always been well represented in game. Barnyard pack gets a “half pass” it did add a ton of ungulates, but what do you expect on a farm? The reason it is only half thought, is that it wouldn’t have killed them to turn another one of those animals into a duck/ turkey. Also they used odd breeds.

But on the other hand, Frontier puts amazing work into the animals they do (except every once in awhile we get a donkey that’s actually a horse), and maybe we can get another pack like Wetlands, North America, or Grasslands. Either awesome animal diversity, or awesome regional diversity.

Like part of me still hopes we could get something like grasslands, where we could have 12 species again. I recognize the only reason that is that way is because the butterflies are literally just separate textures. I just think it would be cool to get that again.

I want to have tempered expectations, but if this is “totally the last pack this time” I also want to believe we could get something different/ bigger. JWE2 was always treated a bit differently than Planet Zoo, so that final pack may not be equivalent. It may also have only 7 animals if they go the barnyard path, which will make me even more curious to see those choices.

I also hope we could get more than 1-2 birds in this last pack, but somehow I find that less believable than getting something like the manatee lol

I woudn't call 'expecting for something popular in a pack that said thing fits' high expectation. Nobody had high expectations with barnyard, but frontier still managed to ruin it.
No, as I said, expecting for "something" popular is fair. Expecting for DLC to be packed with popular is high expectation.

In the context of Planet Zoo of course, but all expectations - high and low, are always within certain context.

Actually to me the miss in the tropical pack was the monitor. It was the oddball choice no one was expecting and while it gaves an updated monitor it didn't add anything new (we already has a SEA monitor) nor asked for. Either a tropical South American animal like Tamandua or a bird like the Scarlet ibis would've been much better. The other problem with the Tropical pack is that it should've been an animal pack. Scenery is amazing i wouldn't want for it to go away but tropical rainforests have soooo many popular and charismatic animals that making the pack a scenery pack felt very restrictive.
But realistically, would they cut a reptile in favor of adding a third climbing mammal to a pack like that? They always tend to go for a "mix" of species types. The lone exception there is Twilight... So I don't know that we would have gotten another climbing animal or a bird. I'd tend to agree that a tamandua (or literally any bird, TBH) would have been a better get but I'm not sure that would be realistically in the cards, anyway.

I tend to agree with you WRT the Tropical Pack as well in that it really should have been animal pack. Which is a point I raised: The issue is generally with the pack formats rather than the picks themselves. Nobody would have batted an eye at the monitor if we had another three habitat slots filled with South American critters. But I also really like the scenery we got and not sure I'd like to go without that brick wall set or the temple pieces at this point. So, like I said, it's all about trade-offs...

Honestly, reflecting on it, I would have preferred that we got another primate instead of the siamang for the Conservation Pack (or heck, a tree kangaroo!) and we just got the gibbon. I think that would have made that pick far more exciting, anyway.

The Wetlands animal pack was another one that for.me has some of the biggest misfires. I've said before that the spectacled caiman is my favorite caimán in game but having already the Cuvier's dwarf caiman it felt very redundant. The pack was missing a waterfowl (a proper waterfowl) and either the lechwe or the caimán could have been it (and having the swan does not compensate because we are still missing a duck). The lechwe was a weird choice as well. Yes looks pretty yada yada but there were some more popular options avaible like the Pere David deer
I thought somebody might say this, but I much prefer the spectacled caiman to the Cuvier's so this was a welcome addition. Similar to the gibbon above, though, if we had gotten the spectacled caiman in the base game and something else here... It would have worked better. As for the lechwe? I didn't ask for it, and honestly had no idea they existed until we got it in-game, but now they're one of my favorite ungulates to build for.

Then you have the saiga in Eurasia... When the blackbuck was right there, at the very least as a companion piece to the sloth bear. But i know the saiga was Indeed popular (like i was very surprised to learn after release) so i know this is a personal gripe more than anything.

And yeah Arid was the worst case of all.

Oceanía feels like a last minute change to.me now that i've learnt that the quokka has climbing animations. Like they were preparing for the tree kangaroo but had to change them for the quokka in the end because it didn't work out.
For all of these scenarios we're talking about a single animal, rather than a complete misstep for an entire pack (sans Arid, but that's two animals versus one that I'd consider to be a total "miss"). And in each case, I can see some logic in including what they did for one reason or another (e.g., skunk is undeniably an iconic nocturnal animal; saiga is unique looking; quokka was likely just simpler and quite Internet popular). And there was probably a reason for it (e.g., simplicity, balance of animal "types" in a given pack).

My point is that given the pack formats, and what people want, there's no scenario where everybody is happy with 100% of the content. There's always going to be something folks would prefer. We see this all the time in the conversations around pack themes - depending on where people are from and what they see in their local zoos? People want different stuff. And I've always felt the static pack sizes and themes they picked were limiting, and some smaller species and scenery packs between the bigger ones would have been a much more satisfying and effective way to flesh out the game (e.g., getting a scenery-only or 3 species animal pack between the bigger DLC). But that likely wouldn't have worked with whatever Frontier had planned, resources available, etc.

But I digress! What I'm saying is that.... By and large, if they manage to make the majority of players happy with 3/4 or 6/8 of the habitat species in a given pack? I think it's a win.

I want to have tempered expectations, but if this is “totally the last pack this time” I also want to believe we could get something different/ bigger. JWE2 was always treated a bit differently than Planet Zoo, so that final pack may not be equivalent. It may also have only 7 animals if they go the barnyard path, which will make me even more curious to see those choices.

I also hope we could get more than 1-2 birds in this last pack, but somehow I find that less believable than getting something like the manatee lol
So long as you take a "hope for the best, expect the worst" approach I'm not sure how anybody could be let down. Haha. Personally, I'm choosing to hope that the final pack is going to be bigger like they did for PlanCo and JWE but I know there's a chance that it might just be a regular ol' 7 habitat + 1 exhibit species pack. And if that's the case, so long as the species are good? I'll be happy.

Focus on what things are versus what they aren't and we'll all be good.

They taste bad for starters.

And also, they are another domestic. No more domestics please
Next SA animal better be wild one.
Out of curiosity, what's unpleasant about it? The taste or the smell?

I've had freshly killed goat curry at a Nepalese housewarming party, it's a nice enough meat (lots of bones, so eating with your hands is the easiest way to navigate it), but the smell of a petting zoo stays in your mouth for days, even from a youngish goat (they did include the skin, so oils from that might be part of it, but they were among the nicer pieces, and it's the meat that gets stuck in your teeth).

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what's unpleasant about it? The taste or the smell?

I've had freshly killed goat curry at a Nepalese housewarming party, it's a nice enough meat (lots of bones, so eating with your hands is the easiest way to navigate it), but the smell of a petting zoo stays in your mouth for days, even from a youngish goat (they did include the skin, so oils from that might be part of it, but they were among the nicer pieces, and it's the meat that gets stuck in your teeth).
You know now that you mentioned it it did have a little bit of a similar smell as well but it was mainly the taste. Too strong. I was able to eat the whole piece but my friends wouldn't. Is not something i would try again that's for sure.

No, the roster of "the latest pack" wasn't a mistake or miscalculation. It's unofficial policy by now.
No no defently they were, just a predictable one as it happend so often. Theres a near objective flaw for every pack since tropical and its quite save to say that frontier does a lot of mistakes, just that most of them are either in the details for example missing tassie and donkey sounds or in the planning with things like 5 ungulate arid, no south american habitat in tropical, sloth bear and saiga in eurasia and whoever decided on the breeds in barnyard.
They do lots of mistakes, some really really stupid ones even where it takes mental gymnastic to see why they would do this instead of the save, easy, popular and especally obvious answer, but we should sadly expect them by now.

What is and isnt a mistake is pretty subjective, but i think its fair to say that frontier have made some weird or very controversial choices in 2023/2024.
Prime examples for me are all those weird breed choices in Barnyard, the exclusion of the highest requested animal for the theme in arid and the india representative in eurasia being its 4th bear instead of a filler ungulate or monkey, which basicly everyone unanimously agreed on to be the big missing pieces. Awell as ofcourse the overabundance of ungulates in general

As for the spec caiman and water monitor: Im pretty happy that we ended up with this two. The caiman is my go to croc since its release and i think its nice to have a common and more low profile monitor as an alternative to the komodo, and yeah i realize the nile monitor exists but that guy just looks awfull.
And as a reptile lover its honestly insanity to me that people want to trade away the 1 single reptile we get a year for another mammal 💀

Last edited:
I think if we do get a zookeepers collection pack (which we probably will) then they will choose more popular animals. I think we’ll have a couple that are well known and requested (baboon, bird and maybe a monkey) but we’ll also get ones that are generally popular - whether we want them or not. This is why I put the Honey Badger in my prediction - because no one predicts it for a final pack, but it’s generally popular + it’s a clone. Same thing with the serval which I really think is gonna show up in a collection pack.
Zookeeper's Collection Pack is secretly Africa Pack 3

No no defently they were, just a predictable one as it happend so often. Theres a near objective flaw for every pack since tropical and its quite save to say that frontier does a lot of mistakes, just that most of them are either in the details for example missing tassie and donkey sounds or in the planning with things like 5 ungulate arid, no south american habitat in tropical, sloth bear and saiga in eurasia and whoever decided on the breeds in barnyard.
They do lots of mistakes, some really really stupid ones even where it takes mental gymnastic to see why they would do this instead of the save, easy, popular and especally obvious answer, but we should sadly expect them by now.
No, no, I didn't mean "There weren't mistakes" as in "There were no bad choices or flaws in the pack". I meant that those were intentional, and not mistakes.

It's not like they weighted whether or not to put duck or pig in Barnyard and decided on a coin toss. Or that they sincerely believed that Water Monitor will make audience cheer.

Those choices were purposeful and what I said in the first comment is that we should be expecting them in every new pack along with limited (2-3) number of Fan favorite animals, no matter how easy they would be to make, or how much sense for the theme they make.

I'm unironically fine with that. Baboon, waterbuck, serval, maybe even the pelican (great white pelican is African). They could chuck in the helmeted guineafowl if they wanted to reuse the chicken easily. Africa Pack 3 would be a banger.
I think "Africa pack 3 has the potential to be a banger" is more accurate.
Because ngl i kinda lost faith that it would be anything else than a mirror of arid, 5 ungulates + cat, and primates, birds, reptiles and misc mammals have to battle royal for the last spot

I think "Africa pack 3 has the potential to be a banger" is more accurate.
Because ngl i kinda lost faith that it would be anything else than a mirror of arid, 5 ungulates + cat, and primates, birds, reptiles and misc mammals have to battle royal for the last spot
Behold! Watch in horror as the baboon is skipped over again!

Africa Pack 3:
  1. Serval
  2. Hyrax
  3. Giant eland
  4. Nyala
  5. Forest buffalo
  6. Gerenuk
  7. Hartebeest
  8. Another African snake, lol, lmao even

Top Bottom