Taranis Destroyed!

I imagine FDev could adjust the the meltdown timer to what ever they feel like... Or have its being automatically calculated at last-heart time, by a formula that guarantees detonations are spread evenly across timezones...
To minimise server issues and the effects on FC jump timings the formula should pick the times when game activity is at its lowest.

Or just randomise the timer to make things more exciting when the 10 minute warning comes in.

... and caterpillars break down their bodies into slush, then rebuild them as butterflies or moths... What if this was just the destructive stage of evolution, forming back into something much bigger and more powerful?

I'll put the tinfoil away soon...

Because it must be done.

1709573564499.jpeg

The Thargoids don't want us smashing their barnacles. The powers will do anything to get them. Communication can't solve that.
More than just the Powers, imo. If it were just a governmental issue we could potentially cooperate to limit it, like nuclear disarmament treaties. But virtually anyone can fly in with any old sidewinder and chop a couple dozen meta alloys off the side. It's like if you could make a tactical nuke with a microwave and a popcorn bucket, it doesn't matter how much the governments cooperate, everyone who wants one is gonna have one. Especially considering the critical tactical advantage they afford; without them, we couldn't have protected stations from UA bombing, which means any Power that doesn't exploit them is opening themselves up to crippling attack at almost any time.

Quite frankly, imagine if this were a human government. Imagine the US randomly scattered around, with no rhyme or reason, devices which can dehydrate thousands of people nearby, with no effort. It just happens, the device is tiny and can't be detected, there's no way to stop it. Then, the US digs a bunch of wells with unlimited water, and also leave those around, with no defense, no walls or even a fence around them. And then, whenever one of these dehydrated people steals some water, they come around and bomb their entire village, in 'self defense'.

That's what the goids are doing. They create an issue by leaving their devices lying around, then create the solution for the issue, and punish people for using it, and use it as a justification for war.

"...as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." :p

(EDIT: Hmm, just noticed, for the first time, the rather unsightly repetition of "suddenly", in that line... :p)

Last edited:
No, not in the war as such. But the destruction of a whole Titan must have had some big impact on the voices in her head.
That is what I was referring to. It’s probably got them going in some way, but until anything is mentioned… well, we’re left to speculate. (And I’ve put at least a little thought into the subject thanks to the RP of my character, but no satisfactory ideas have come up yet.)

Something else I would like to see is some acknowledgment in GalNet over the fact that this turns out to still be quite a dirty weapon to kill the Titans with. It might not be on the level of mycoid or Proteus Wave in either aspect(likely very painful for anyone affected for the former, and large-scale destruction for the other), but it’s not exactly ‘clean’ either.

Then again, apparently it hasn’t concerned anybody from Aegis so far that sabotaging the heat vents and (destroying the) emergency venting core will cook the Titan and remaining occupants (prior to evacuation) alive. Instead it feels more like AXI’s gone and taken leadership.

(No personal offense meant, and it’s a little exaggerated, but I couldn’t help take a light jab.)

Then again, apparently it hasn’t concerned anybody from Aegis so far that sabotaging the heat vents and (destroying the) emergency venting core will cook the Titan and remaining occupants (prior to evacuation) alive. Instead it feels more like AXI’s gone and taken leadership.
I have a feeling that this is how real wars often go.

View attachment 385319

A swarm of chittering voices cried out and were suddenly silenced...

You did it! An armada of pilots from all throughout the Milky Way gathered together to strike down the Titan Taranis, causing a catastrophic failure of it's core and systems. The resulting explosions burst across the sky like fireworks on New Years Eve with scores of pilots watching from a (hopefully) safe distance.

The resulting cloud of debris and gas is a bit too hazardous to venture into currently but reports do indicate that there may be something inside waiting to be explored and that the cloud may dissipate within a matter of weeks.

Congratulations to everyone who took part in this momentous event! There are still 7 more Titans awaiting your bombardment, their crew no doubt quivering in their chitinous lairs. Rewards for taking part will be awarded soon!

Well you can pass along my congrats to the programming/graphics teams for a very impressive event, from the titan's surface explosions etc etc to its final death scream and boom.
Never thought you could get something like that from the COBRA engine... but what do I know (and thats not including doing attack runs in my AX mamba before the titan blew.. skimming the surface through a hail of triple A with a glaive on my tail)

Bill

<<Currently resting up at the bar at Fisher's terminal (and regaling the patrons with war stories) before heading out again.......

More than just the Powers, imo. If it were just a governmental issue we could potentially cooperate to limit it, like nuclear disarmament treaties. But virtually anyone can fly in with any old sidewinder and chop a couple dozen meta alloys off the side. It's like if you could make a tactical nuke with a microwave and a popcorn bucket, it doesn't matter how much the governments cooperate, everyone who wants one is gonna have one. Especially considering the critical tactical advantage they afford; without them, we couldn't have protected stations from UA bombing, which means any Power that doesn't exploit them is opening themselves up to crippling attack at almost any time.

Quite frankly, imagine if this were a human government. Imagine the US randomly scattered around, with no rhyme or reason, devices which can dehydrate thousands of people nearby, with no effort. It just happens, the device is tiny and can't be detected, there's no way to stop it. Then, the US digs a bunch of wells with unlimited water, and also leave those around, with no defense, no walls or even a fence around them. And then, whenever one of these dehydrated people steals some water, they come around and bomb their entire village, in 'self defense'.

That's what the goids are doing. They create an issue by leaving their devices lying around, then create the solution for the issue, and punish people for using it, and use it as a justification for war.
I have some issues with the metaphor here (I highly doubt random individuals nicking meta-alloys would trigger the same response as coordinated mass-harvesting from all three superpowers, for example), but I suppose the core question I have is: if this were the case, wouldn't it be better for the powers to try and solve this issue, rather than just shrugging their shoulders and continuing as they were, even if that means war? We already solved UA disruption years ago. What's the current motivation for continuing to invade Thargoid territory and do silly stuff like the Proteus Wave past that point?

Also, the Thargoids do try and stop us stealing their stuff. That's the entire point of the nebula hyperdictions, to scan our cargo for alien stuff. Hell, they don't even attack for meta-alloys, and give a grace period for Thargoid tech (the actually dangerous stuff). So I don't think the metaphor works, and certainly don't agree that we're justified in continuing to occupy and loot Thargoid territory just because...it's possible?

Top Bottom