Taranis Destroyed!

Sort of like how I "defend myself" from system authority vessels? Surely obliterating an authority vulture is justified given they fired a plasma shot first.
Where are you getting your information on who fired first? I think you are confusing that with who won the resulting fight. (Note: I still disagree with the idea of damning an entire species based on who shot first hundreds of years ago)

So this is no longer about the events of this war in specific? The Thargoids have just been damned since the events of 500 years ago in your view, and that justifies us unconditionally? Would you accept the opposite if it turned out that humans had actually been the first to shoot 510 years ago, so the Thargoids have rights to do whatever they want to us?

Recent events are evidently not connected to those from previous conflicts. If they were, well we already had a first Thargoid war, they would have returned on a war footing from day 1: not doing what they did, months of strict pacifism replaced with targeted retaliation when that failed.

The 2800s is even more murky. What makes you think there was a "murder spree" as opposed to Thargoids defending themselves, if indeed these disappearances were actually to do with Thargoids? And why, if these events are relevant to today, why do you think they started acting so differently for the events we definitely know were them?
Maybe these Thargoids are unconnected with the ones from ~500 years ago because our earlier attempted at genocide worked and non of them got back to tell them about us.

If you could also check what happens if you reject their territorial claims and start walking off with anything not nailed down that would also be a good test.

Walking off with anything not nailed down is how I principally earn a living these days, I can confirm the humans are indeed most violently unhappy about it if I get caught XD

Honestly the Thargoids seem more chill about me farming their meta-alloys

Sounds like circular logic. You know because you know.
Well, if you want to tell me how they behave when you use a pulse neutraliser, or what they were doing when Jameson was plodding about the one galaxy we've ever explored minding his
own business, you're free to do so.

Well, if you want to tell me how they behave when you use a pulse neutraliser, or what they were doing when Jameson was plodding about the one galaxy we've ever explored minding his
Been a long time since I've used a pulse neutraliser in the nebulae but I don't believe it causes any significant changes. If by Jameson you mean the First Thargoid War in general, that resulted from human attacks on Thargoids in Veliaze, which then escalated from there.

This is the same Jameson whose crashed ship we can visit the one who launched a bio weapon at the Thargoids?

I ask because I am aware that there were more than one of them.

Salvation was fully supported by all three superpowers, who had been jointly commited to the war for years prior. The authorities of humanity were all for it, so effectively humanity was. In the face of that...if I were the Thargoids, the only strategy I would think suitable would be the one you just suggested for us. Push them until the powers finally value humanity's survival above profits. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're going to get that far, if such a tipping point exists.
Only because they felt they had no other choice. Aegis had failed, Salvation was all that was left.

Even then, I don't think anyone really expected his weapon to fully kill all the thargoids. It was basically a big bomb, that had been used to take out entire systems before. The idea that it would somehow kill them all was just fantasy talk by a crazy guy.

Only because they felt they had no other choice. Aegis had failed, Salvation was all that was left.

Even then, I don't think anyone really expected his weapon to fully kill all the thargoids. It was basically a big bomb, that had been used to take out entire systems before. The idea that it would somehow kill them all was just fantasy talk by a crazy guy.
They never tried the other choices. And while Salvation's descriptions of the Proteus Wave's capabilities were often contradictory, the general idea was "kill so many of them they can never fight us again". That is genocide, even if it's not extinction.
Another way to look at it rather than relying on definitions might be to ask why they wanted to deliberately cause a big fight in Thargoid territory to use this weapon, rather than deploying it to defend our own territory. Because the powers want it all.

Leigong.

Apparently it was independent donations rather than superpower leaders cackling in glee that they can soon return to bashing each other’s heads in over frozen rocks. Whether you believe that is a different matter.

I remain convinced blasting Titans to death is still a terrible idea. Not only because our chosen method of “disposal” is to make them suffer a slow, torturous death through complete overheating.
Thanks. I had exactly that feeling too. Simply saying "it's war" isn't enough of a justification for me. I think we could solve this better if we showed that we are more than a bunch of murderers.

I've never seen a Thargoid before. I don't know anything about Thargoids.
Do they have families, children? Are they afraid or in pain?
And yet they are killed without even having to deal with it.
They've been careful to keep any details of their society hidden from us.

However, we've not done the same. We broadcast the details of our personal lives on public channels, easily accessible by anyone. As such, they KNOW we have families and innocents on board our stations, settlements, and outposts.

And they kill them indiscriminately anyway. Either they have no concept of civilians, which is the most generous view, in which case it's okay to kill them as indiscriminately as they do us, or they just don't care, in which case they're evil and it's okay to kill them as indiscriminately as they do us.

Not if they're all soldiers. Have you ever seen a civilian thargoid?
No idea, they could be as non military as us commanders.

They've been careful to keep any details of their society hidden from us.

However, we've not done the same. We broadcast the details of our personal lives on public channels, easily accessible by anyone. As such, they KNOW we have families and innocents on board our stations, settlements, and outposts.
And do we know if they have managed to translate our broadcasts and the concepts contained in them?
I can tell someone from another human culture about my personal life and vice versa if neither of us really understand what the other is saying do we really KNOW.

And they kill them indiscriminately anyway. Either they have no concept of civilians, which is the most generous view, in which case it's okay to kill them as indiscriminately as they do us, or they just don't care, in which case they're evil and it's okay to kill them as indiscriminately as they do us.
So as long as they don’t understand or are evil we can be just as evil in return?

I'm a bit late and off the currently running topic, but wanted to thank Fdev for bringing the best party popper to my 56th birthday. Thank you!
I'm the Forrest Gump of historic gaming events, and this was epic!
Screenshot_0033.Hyades Sector FB-N b7-6.jpg

View from my Python as it was yeeted away from the Maelstrom.​

They tried the other choices for years; they didn't work.
Such as? It was identified years ago that invading Thargoid territory, at the time the Pleiades, was the cause of the war. When did they try addressing that? They didn't, in fact they doubled-down and invaded Witch Head the moment the Pleiades ran dry. Their priorities were very clear at that time.

Top Bottom