Thargoid invasion - Next target systems?

I’m not convinced Bi Dhorora will last until the next evening/night(by EU standards), looking at current rate of progression. Doubt Vucumatha will far exceed that either, even as an outpost-only system.

How far off am I with my rough guess that the current three invasions combined would roughly match with the effort required to clear HIP 25679… two weeks ago? Or was it three? Whichever.

If both Njorog and Omumba reach invasion stage, that’s going to make for an interesting experience. Mainly for how long they’ll take to clean out. Otherwise, I’m awaiting the necessary item(module) to start retrieving pods from the Titans - that’s gonna be fun too…

How far off am I with my rough guess that the current three invasions combined would roughly match with the effort required to clear HIP 25679… two weeks ago? Or was it three? Whichever.
25679 is slightly closer than Bi Dhorora, but not a lot. Probably a slightly higher total requirement this week but unlikely to be a lot in it.

25679 is slightly closer than Bi Dhorora, but not a lot. Probably a slightly higher total requirement this week but unlikely to be a lot in it.
Well, the curve seems to be quite steep once you get to around the 17ly range, so I just wondered. I remember the stats on inara for the system that week approaching the 30k marker for killed Thargoids, though the in-game delay for the progress bar updating could give some room for overshoot. Wouldn’t imagine it to be too much, though.

Anyway.

Edit - Well, there it goes. Probably has for an hour or two, but I was not actively involved in defense. On a mini-Elite break after throwing effort at last week’s delivery CG.

Last edited:
Victories in Bi Dhorora, Col 285 Sectors ZE-P c6-15, KL-E b12-5, EA-Q c5-10, EA-Q c5-11, EA-Q c5-4, IG-O c6-17 and KA-G b11-0, and HIP 18705! One Invasion remains at Vucumatha, and many thanks unto those defending it—with only a couple of Outposts that far out, it is like a lighter version of Kuruma.

Invasion at 07:00 16th September 3309:
Vucumatha Invasion 22% *23.3%Cocijo 23 Ly, 2 ports, 13k Ls outpost attack

Alerts:
HIP 20492 Alert 44% *45.1%Indra 24 Ly, 3308 Ls starport, 3168 Ls outpost
Muruidooges Alert 36% *36.9%Hadad 18 Ly, 1018 Ls starport
Holvandalla Alert 20% *21.6%Raijin 21 Ly, 86 Ls starport, 19 Ls outpost, 43 Ls planet
Luggerates Alert 12% — Oya 22 Ly, 339 Ls outpost

Clean-up:
Cephei Sector AV-Y b0 Alert 50% *51.8%Oya 24 Ly, empty
Cephei Sector AV-Y b6 Alert 42% *42.3%Oya 21 Ly, empty

While we were trying to induce the reach-further-out behaviour at M. Thor, a quite interesting activity surge occurred at the empty system Col 285 Sector VN-Z b14-0, a mere 9.7 Ly from M. Hadad. It is at 18% and would guard HR 2204, although mind that it has still over 15000 strength remaining (of over 18000). Given the outcome of Operation Redacted, a M. Hadad foothold would be interesting to support if we can use the respite intervals to keep it moving—and if mutual help there is reliable enough, of course.

More immediately we plan at M. Leigong to recapture Arietis Sector KM-W d1-94 and clear out Arietis Sectors BQ-P b5-2 and NX-U c2-19, the latter becoming the new, much easier bridge to defend as a single system with 2229 strength. That will also keep Patollu guarded, then we would prefer a way to stop Matrix system attacks before pushing out beyond Obassi Osaw and into the next group of Control systems!

VN-Z b14-0 is interesting - its only remaining attackers are Montioch and RH-B b14-2. Recapturing both of those as well restricts Hadad's routes into the inhabited part of the cluster to ones which go through uninhabited systems >10 LY out, with its barnacles largely poorly placed to help out. Of course, that's three high-difficulty system recaptures which would need to be completed in relatively quick succession and then followed up with another round of protection at the 10-15 LY range, so very much trickier than isolating branches at Leigong, though still much easier than the core of most Maelstroms would permit.

Considering the effort required to clear an alert at the 20+ ly range, those invasions seem deceptively ‘hard’(in relative terms, of course - as they currently often clear within a day and a half, or less), regarding the kill count needed to clear.

I’m certainly surprised they lasted for almost three days, even with Bi Dhorora in the mix… Vucumatha doesn’t have far to go, might clear this night even.

Considering the effort required to clear an alert at the 20+ ly range, those invasions seem deceptively ‘hard’(in relative terms, of course - as they currently often clear within a day and a half, or less), regarding the kill count needed to clear.

I’m certainly surprised they lasted for almost three days, even with Bi Dhorora in the mix… Vucumatha doesn’t have far to go, might clear this night even.
Our AX allies picked it for their Finance Friday last night and made significant progress, they are probably continuing with that.

We are down a couple of people as they are on holiday so Operation Kleenex has been slow this week. You're looking at 400 samples for an unpop Alert at 20Ly and at least 1000 at 15, maybe more.

Some updated figures;

Col 285 Sector ZE-P c6-15 - 18.41 Ly - 616 samples.
Col 285 Sector ZE-P c6-16 - 19.2 Ly - 484 samples.

Fair. I take it your focus is also on the easier to clear alerts, leaving Omumba and Njorog alone?
Those two systems are currently unclearable due to TBMs so doing 7000 odd samples to clear them is time we could spend on the others. People can have their Invasions there and we'll focus on the ones that won't keep coming back until we get a way to flip TBMs.

Victories in Col 285 Sectors ZE-P c6-16, KV-F b11-0, EA-Q c5-3, KB-O c6-2, SS-H b11-4 and SS-H b11-5, Cephei Sectors AV-Y b6 and AV-Y b0, Arietis Sectors NX-U c2-19, KM-W c1-14 and WJ-R b4-2, HIP 18857 and Vucumatha! Invasions are defended for now; meanwhile, enough of a fuss has occurred over in Nibelaako that a bit more polite destruction will recapture it.

Alerts at 08:40 17th September 3309:
HIP 20492 Alert 80% *80.7%Indra 24 Ly, 3308 Ls starport, 3168 Ls outpost
Muruidooges Alert 56% *56.2%Hadad 18 Ly, 1018 Ls starport, 7321 Ls outpost
Gliese 9035 Alert 48% — Oya 20 Ly, 933 Ls planet
Holvandalla Alert 40% *40.3%Raijin 21 Ly, 86 Ls starport, 19 Ls outpost, 43 Ls planet

Eviction:
Nibelaako Control 54% — Raijin 22 Ly, 1488 strength

Clean-up:
Trianguli Sector EQ-Y b6 Alert 52% — Taranis 15 Ly, empty
Unlikely:

Col 285 Sector VN-Z b14-0 Control 36% — Hadad 10 Ly, empty, 11.8k strength

We are down a couple of people as they are on holiday so Operation Kleenex has been slow this week. You're looking at 400 samples for an unpop Alert at 20Ly and at least 1000 at 15, maybe more.

You are all doing brilliantly! It amazes me continually that we are able to exceed at all the number of new Alerts with our total completions, where repelling some of them helps a lot, and repelling all of them is far more than one could ask.

Unfortunately the main factor which could ease it a bit is the one which would be unfair to ask of Commanders not comfortable with Control systems—leaving some or all empty Alerts, but taking the same number of empty Control systems elsewhere instead, identical numerically but more able to strangle the target choices.

Those two systems are currently unclearable due to TBMs so doing 7000 odd samples to clear them is time we could spend on the others. People can have their Invasions there and we'll focus on the ones that won't keep coming back until we get a way to flip TBMs.

I was thinking a bit more about the Matrix systems in the context of one of the open questions in Analysing the Thargoid Simulation:
Galnet has hinted that exobiology may play a part in defeating the Thargoids. How?

I know too little about exobiology to ask more than the most basic general question (for anyone!); with the aid of Advanced Missiles from above, and without any idea what it may achieve, is that something which can be done at a Matrix site?

I know too little about exobiology to ask more than the most basic general question (for anyone!); with the aid of Advanced Missiles from above, and without any idea what it may achieve, is that something which can be done at a Matrix site?
I tried using an exobiology sampler on a few parts of the Matrix site back when they were first discovered and failed to find anything I could sample, although I can't promise I didn't miss something.

I tried using an exobiology sampler on a few parts of the Matrix site back when they were first discovered and failed to find anything I could sample, although I can't promise I didn't miss something.

Even if only to reject another idea, thank you for having given the time to test it!

As a related general note and insofar as stopping attacks completely implies clearing a connected segment of space, I made that small map I mentioned once or twice, of the volume around M. Leigong in the direction where we were operating:

Maelstrom Leigong.png

I am unsure how difficult it would be to generate small segment maps, but the above is how I imagine it! Also on a few occasions I have described the evicted Arietis Sector NX-U c2-19 as a bridge; that view shows why, and shows what we have on each side.

Including a sense of strength would show that its c2-20 neighbour, despite being another bridge, may be a poorer point to defend with double the strength and only granting us the Obassi Osaw island. Unless many Commanders would love ownership of the latter enough to maintain the stronger blockade, the plan to continue is a plan to take the next segment—leading us into the Matrix system Hyades Sector KN-K b8-3.

Alongside preventing high-strength Alerts, to further the nullification of a Maelstrom I think Hyades Sector KN-K b8-3 ought to be a quite high priority as soon as we encounter a way to stop Matrix attacks!

The Sky of Diamonds (X3B-57V) is buying samples for the inhabited system Hyades Sector ST-Q b5-4 in Hyades Sector ST-Q b5-1. As the furthest inhabited Control from Indra (or any maelstrom, for that matter) it'd be good to clear it, and it won't take too many samples to do. (Progress 319/1600 as of 20:04 17th Sept)

On another note, I've decided to try another Matrix-related test - I've collected some Coral Sap from Ceti Sector BQ-Y b4 and will sell it to a Rescue ship in a couple of hours when I get the chance - will be interesting to see if it does anything.

Last edited:
On another note, I've decided to try another Matrix-related test - I've collected some Coral Sap from Ceti Sector BQ-Y b4 and will sell it to a Rescue ship in a couple of hours when I get the chance - will be interesting to see if it does anything.

Save it for a future purpose; I tried that recently here:
I tried selling Coral Sap to a Rescue megaship; no effect there. I noticed also that the description of Coral Sap at the market, unlike the concise version in the Inventory, states specifically that its use is unknown.

Given that the recent teaser for U17 hints at barnacle matrix sites doing something, then(by others’ accounts, I am looking to avoid the visual spoiler material), might be we’ll get to do something about those things then. Or, at least, more activities might open up in that stage.

It would be great if there was something about them in GalNet, though. All other discoveries after an update are always mentioned in the following week or two, but not a peep about this one for a month and a half, now.

You are all doing brilliantly! It amazes me continually that we are able to exceed at all the number of new Alerts with our total completions, where repelling some of them helps a lot, and repelling all of them is far more than one could ask.

Unfortunately the main factor which could ease it a bit is the one which would be unfair to ask of Commanders not comfortable with Control systems—leaving some or all empty Alerts, but taking the same number of empty Control systems elsewhere instead, identical numerically but more able to strangle the target choices.
Yes, this is the ideal and it was my plan. My hope was to start with Alerts and build a few people up to joining me in Controls but it's not really happened. And as you know I have done a few Controls solo but that is a chore, you need at least one other person to keep the instance open to make the most of that.

Could definitely do with a few more people to wing with there. Just one would do, actually. All suckers volunteers welcome.

Therefore we have been starting each week with the unpopulated Alerts till they are done so that they don't become new Controls. If we can't take territory back at least we can stop them getting any more.

Another figure;

Col 285 Sector SS-H b11-4 and Col 285 Sector SS-H b11-5 - 20.31 Ly - 346 samples.

Last edited:
Did run another experiment - I tried doing some exobiology in an ordinary Control system. Unfortunately, there's no way to sell it to the rescue ships and selling it to a normal station has no effect.

Given that the recent teaser for U17 hints at barnacle matrix sites doing something, then(by others’ accounts, I am looking to avoid the visual spoiler material), might be we’ll get to do something about those things then. Or, at least, more activities might open up in that stage.

It would be great if there was something about them in GalNet, though. All other discoveries after an update are always mentioned in the following week or two, but not a peep about this one for a month and a half, now.
I noticed this too but when I mentioned it a few weeks ago I was basically told that new stuff had been put in before, for a while, without being explained, and there was nothing special about that.

I still disagree and think no Galnet about them at all is significant by its absence.

Top Bottom