The 5 min carrier jump cooldown is killing me. Poll: Need to change to 1min? Removed?

Funny, I think the same about my method - and it is quite different from yours. But yours also makes a lot of sense... :cool:

Oh the way they can be used has changed with the changes that were made during the beta, I don't think there's a right or wrong way to use an FC, but I think the devs had an idea in their heads of what FC's were going to be about and that changed due to player feedback during the beta.

It's only happening to me?

I can live (more or less) with 15m countdown to jump, but the 5 minutes unable to draw next target don't have any sense and I think that must be removed or reduced to 1min. I think it kill the game flow. What CMDR's think about it?

a) Nah, it's ok. Loooooooser.
b) You're right, needs to be reduced to 1min.
c) You're right, needs to be removed.
d) You're right, but don't remove it, let's move to a manual time chosen for the owner instead.

Civil responses are expected :)
Remove it. Period

Funny, I think the same about my method - and it is quite different from yours. But yours also makes a lot of sense... :cool:
The last time I moved mine was because I took on some source missions and the nearest system that sold the things in question was over 60ly away. Since I didn't feel like making that round trip too often in a hauling ship, I jumped the carrier there and used my T9 to fetch like a thousand tons of each thing I needed, then jumped back to base. Now if I get a mission for that commodity in one of the surrounding systems, I've got a stockpile of it one jump away.

Remove it. Period

It probably can't be. It's a major database update to move a Fleet Carrier, the 5 minutes cooldown is probably for tidying up the database, you don't just initiate changes one after the other on a databse as complex and large as the ED database. You schedule the changes, hence the 15 minutes spoolup, commit the changes, the few minutes when you can't cancel the jump, they have effectively already moved the FC, that's when the POI for arrival appears in the destination system, and run a sweep to remove leftover data and make sure everything worked ok.

Trying to make the database changes work like magic just means the entire thing will inevitably fall over.

It's only happening to me?

I can live (more or less) with 15m countdown to jump, but the 5 minutes unable to draw next target don't have any sense and I think that must be removed or reduced to 1min. I think it kill the game flow. What CMDR's think about it?

a) Nah, it's ok. Loooooooser.
b) You're right, needs to be reduced to 1min.
c) You're right, needs to be removed.
d) You're right, but don't remove it, let's move to a manual time chosen for the owner instead.

Civil responses are expected :)
Wasn't it originally an hour for a carrier?

It probably can't be. It's a major database update to move a Fleet Carrier, the 5 minutes cooldown is probably for tidying up the database, you don't just initiate changes one after the other on a databse as complex and large as the ED database. You schedule the changes, hence the 15 minutes spoolup, commit the changes, the few minutes when you can't cancel the jump, they have effectively already moved the FC, that's when the POI for arrival appears in the destination system, and run a sweep to remove leftover data and make sure everything worked ok.

Trying to make the database changes work like magic just means the entire thing will inevitably fall over.
If they can't manage these changes in the 16 minutes and more for the jump sorry but their database is real poo poo.

A database of billions of objects? And you are a database expert? How long would you allow? Are you running transactional or relational. How are you searching for objects to move? Just asking you know.
You're saying they need 5 minutes, I'm saying they already have more than 15.

You're saying they need 5 minutes, I'm saying they already have more than 15.

No, they use the 5 minutes of cooldown to clean up the database after the scheduled changes, during that period you don't start more changes until you are sure the last changes were successful. Sure in many cases it could take less time, for instance when you are jumping from one planet to another in the same system, but if you want to keep the timing consistent then you allow enough time for the largest move, then add 50% more time to a triple check, because if you stuff it up it's going to be a big problem for the CMDR doing the jump and take a lot more time to sort out in the end.

The 15 minutes to jump is another thing altogether and there are other reasons for that, not least to give people time to get to and leave the carrier before it goes into lockdown.

When these situations occur, a mini game for the impatient is the solution.

Let the impatient cmdr play a 'Give me more power Scotty' mini game that can reduce the delay to fun time. Optionally also reduce the cooldown at the same time if successful in the mini game.

When these situations occur, a mini game for the impatient is the solution.

Let the impatient cmdr play a 'Give me more power Scotty' mini game that can reduce the delay to fun time. Optionally also reduce the cooldown at the same time if successful in the mini game.

IMG-20200921-005410.jpg

Top Bottom