The FFED3D Thread

http://jamesewelch.wordpress.com/2008/03/07/how-to-load-a-google-sketchup-model-into-a-xna-game/

I use sketchup as my preferred 3D app, the simplicity coupled with a surprising amount of depth just knocks all other out of the park IMO.

Gonna try the method in the link above out right now, if it works, even those of us without 3DS could help out. Will report back once I tried it.

EDIT: Ouch! Bluescreen, right in the face!
Opened .x with blender, saved as .3ds, imported into Sketchup, made a minor change, exported via ruby plugin in the link above. crash once the game loaded the model.
Guessing it has something to do with the textures, as this is one area where Sketchup is pretty akward.

EDIT2: Actually it seems the ruby script exports to some "special" XNA .x format, which I assume is NOT what FFED3D uses.

Last edited:

I know that feeling I've tried both 3d object converter and meshx both of which will export in the binary directx format,no use.:mad:

I guess what the project could really do with is custom made importer that could take a directx file and

turn it into the games directx.but I guess that's a lot easier to say than do.

Well back to the mystery that is uv unwrap:)

Anyhow if you want to have a go at redesigning one of the ships, There's two ways of doing it.
Thanks for the info. As I don't have 3DMax it looks like I won't be doing any re-designing :(

I had a look at doing something a bit easier, such as improving the missile icons, but even that's a pain as the main program seems to expand them and make them all fat and blocky again :mad:

ps Steve jahell has fixed the landing gear on the cobra model :D
Sorry to be a bit slow, but how do I incorporate that into the game?

Just download the new model, put the model and skin in folder 38 of the model dir in FFE3d :)

you may want to post the question about the icons on Elite games they may have an answer for that

I guess the directx is some sort of binary as i tried different text ones

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. As I don't have 3DMax... (snip)
Sorry to be a bit slow, but how do I incorporate that into the game?

For what I know, without 3DS you can't. :(

EDIT: Ah, sorry! Thought you were the Steve that had done the fix. ;)

Last edited:
According to DraQ, the legal academy is in a deep valley on the other side of the planet, seen from york. I've been flying above the planet for hours now, and I'm beginning to suspect that the academy just isn't there in this version of the game.

Any of you had any luck?

I think it mission specific ie you won't see it unless you are flying the mission but it could be bug,the game not finished and when I tried jumping into the system last night it crashed.

I do have the mission.. but perhaps the academy doesn't show up until the day of its destruction. :)

I had that crashing problem when I jumped into a system on a photo mission.

Hello!

Alrite, so is this a mod? Meaning i need the original version of the game.

And as above if anybody has the link for the most recent download i will dance for you.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Hello!

Alrite, so is this a mod? Meaning i need the original version of the game.

And as above if anybody has the link for the most recent download i will dance for you.

Hi Super,

Welcome to the forum.

Yep it a mod, it's in the early stages as far as the ship graphics etc... but it's fully playable, and very good :)

The link is earlier on this thread. Have a read through as theres some good info in the posts.

Cobra mk1 model http://www.megaupload.com/?d=81PUMFEK

Being doing this for a few weeks.the model and skin go's in folder 36 of the model dir and the save game in the usual place.

The model and texture a bit ropey,but I enjoyed doing it and learned a lot from doing it.:)

Oh the landing gear not working,not figured out how to do it/or how to get from Blender to max or even how to do it in maxs.:eek:

I have the link fro the game, it's the 1.2 patch i'm after as i can't register on the russian forum for some reason

Cheer's Turwhitt.

Headhunter has suggested that it too brown the more I look at it,I think he's right.

So it's about to get a bit of a repaint.:)

New skin for the cobra just extract it to file 36.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HCAOL06X

ffed3d2009-01-2421-33-11-73.jpg

Back
Top Bottom