I have a saitek cyborg thingy....only problem is the spring in the middle is a bit too strong for making very fine movements...
squashed it up with some cable ties...job jobbed

When I wanted a joystick for Elite on the beeb, I ordered a dual-axis potentiometer from Maplin, mounted it in a bit of drainpipe and two jam jar lids, put a button in another piece of narrow plastic pipe, and wired it all up myself to a connector. I held the joystick part between my knees and used my left hand to steer while I held the fire button in my right hand.

If I needed to fire out of the rear view I just turned the joystick part around.

Up hill both ways, etc.

Last edited:
2nd hand Sidewinder force feedback 2 from eBay is a very sound choice... Still highly rated by many flight-simmers.

I'm tempted by the X52 System... I like the idea of using the little MFD on the Throttle, assuming that the game would support it, or at the least expose some data so we could write code for it ourselves...

With Star Citizen on the way and hopefully Elite too I treated myself to a HOTAS Warthog from Thrustmaster.

It's overkill but it is beautifully made and I've using it in Independence War to sharpen up my dogfighting skills.

Setting aside the discussion of which type of controls you'd like to see implemented, can I get some advice amongst the joystick users as to their favourite hardware?

I think most serious simmers use a CH HOTAS set or the Saitek X52 set. The X52 comes in a Pro or non-Pro version; the non-Pro is ok, but it's made out of cheaper materials and feels not so solid. There are others like the Thrustmaster Cougar, if you want better quality for a high price. The Logitech Extreme 3D pro is tolerable, but it's completely out of league in terms of precision and motion range.

I've had a CH joystick/throttle/pedals set and would recommend if you're seriously into flight sims.

The trouble with joystick control is how well it works with a specific game.

I like the idea of flying with a joystick personally. I like having a throttle control but most space games seem to be geared towards mouse (on the PC) and without using a mouse I find you are at a disadvantage.

The trouble with joystick control is how well it works with a specific game.

I like the idea of flying with a joystick personally. I like having a throttle control but most space games seem to be geared towards mouse (on the PC) and without using a mouse I find you are at a disadvantage.

Mate, give me a joystick with complete axis control including throttle, and Track IR; I will destroy anyone with a mouse. ;)

Mate, give me a joystick with complete axis control including throttle, and Track IR; I will destroy anyone with a mouse. ;)

Well, in some games like Vendetta Online, if you use the mouse then you can freely look around with the crosshair fixed in the middle of the screen and the ship automatically rotates itself so that it's aligned with it; but with a joystick you normally don't look around freely and have to learn to overcome the moment of inertia yourself. So arguably, in that game, mouse users actually have an advantage over joystick users. (I don't think there is support for TrackIR either way.)

Best Elite joystick for me is still the old Atari 2600 stick.
Pretty robust even though I have broken a couple and it's easy to use one handed with the other hand on the keyboard for targeting or ECM etc...
I've got a old wireless Cyborg Evo which was good but not tried it on Elite. Might have to treat myself to something new on release day.

I'd prefer joystick (something highly programmable with far too many buttons) over mouse - but whatever works best in the end.

No TrackIR for me though - If it ain't Oculus Rift, it ain't what I'm looking for (Dont want to steer the ship with my head, I want to be able to look over my shoulder). :)

I'd prefer joystick (something highly programmable with far too many buttons) over mouse - but whatever works best in the end.

No TrackIR for me though - If it ain't Oculus Rift, it ain't what I'm looking for (Dont want to steer the ship with my head, I want to be able to look over my shoulder). :)

TrackIR is for looking around, not steering. I don't think it would work well at all if you tried to use it as a control method. ;)

TrackIR is for looking around, not steering. I don't think it would work well at all if you tried to use it as a control method. ;)

I an extra axis of movement was part of what people used it for. Still that aside although it is a great bit of kit - but turning my head whilst keeping my eyes on the screen just didn't feel right to me.

Full immersion vr headsets (+a vr glove or two) are definitely the way to go for the future (and possibly by the time ED is launched).

Top Bottom