The Mining discussion thread.

Good Idea?

• Total voters
No mining per se but I definitely hear you on the non-combat routes.

I'm 35 years old and I've never been in a fight. Because I live in the UK and avoid the bad parts of town. In a real space sim you should be able to avoid being attacked by the same logic. Go about your business, only go to safe places, don't start any fights yourself, work hard, get a good ship. Should be possible.

Trade, mine, explore, sure there's a risk you'll get jumped at any time but it shouldn't be ALL the time or even every time you have a game session.

No mining per se but I definitely hear you on the non-combat routes.

I'm 35 years old and I've never been in a fight. Because I live in the UK and avoid the bad parts of town. In a real space sim you should be able to avoid being attacked by the same logic. Go about your business, only go to safe places, don't start any fights yourself, work hard, get a good ship. Should be possible.

Trade, mine, explore, sure there's a risk you'll get jumped at any time but it shouldn't be ALL the time or even every time you have a game session.

But then you'll never become Elite

True but that's like saying I'll never get a black belt in karate in real life. I never got Elite rating in Frontier, even though I played it for years and years. I wasn't any good at the combat, I didn't go looking for it, I wanted to explore and trade and do fast timed courier missions. There are other ways of measuring success in real life than your combat prowess. IMHO that's what;s so exciting about Elite, is that you really can choose your own way of playing the game.

I think its perfectly acceptable if you want to just play the trader and run the safe routes.

Agreed that combat shouldn't be a given, and always end predictably - the AI needs to be able to understand when to fight, run (even straight into hyperspace), call for help, use a wealth of different tactics etc.

The combat rating is something we all want to see, I think - but I'd also like to see a more detailed faction rating, and perhaps even ratings for trading, mining, exploration etc - so you/or others can see what it is you're good at or focussed on. If the ratings slowly dropped over time, that could be interesting.

To become Elite is one thing, but to stay Elite is another entirely.

True but that's like saying I'll never get a black belt in karate in real life. I never got Elite rating in Frontier, even though I played it for years and years. I wasn't any good at the combat, I didn't go looking for it, I wanted to explore and trade and do fast timed courier missions. There are other ways of measuring success in real life than your combat prowess. IMHO that's what;s so exciting about Elite, is that you really can choose your own way of playing the game.

I sort of know what you mean, Once I got to Deadly in Beeb Elite I stopped looking for a fight.

I was good enough at combat to take out anyone or anyones (sic) that picked a fight with me and just went on with the missions and exploring...

never mind 'Mining Lasers' ...

What about 'mining platforms'?

You find an ore rich asteroid belt. You set up an automated mining rig to harvest the goodies while you go about your normal legal, law abiding duties. <cough>
Every so often you will have to swing on by to collect the precious metals.
The rig ain't going to be cheap mind, unless its the basic 'undefended' type. And who's gonna buy those? (unless they're skint?)
Noooo. The more you can spend on the defenses, the less chance that some other '49er' is going to reap your rewards.

you may need to supply them with oxygen, food and water.
oh, and if the next '49'er' comes past and 'liberates' them ... ? ;)

Hey Steve B,

Would you mind adding a section to your initial post to summarise the ongoing discussion? Maintaining an up-to-date summary makes it easier for people to join and follow a conversation in progress.

Unfortunately, people joining threads tend to read the first and last few posts, ignoring the ones in the middle. By summarising the whole thread in one place, you can make it clear at a glance where the conversation has got to, what's been agreed and what's still being discussed.

This is a design flaw in the whole forum model, not a failing of anyone here. I plan to paste this comment into every relevant thread in the hopes we can work around the problem together :)

Hey Steve B,

Would you mind adding a section to your initial post to summarise the ongoing discussion? Maintaining an up-to-date summary makes it easier for people to join and follow a conversation in progress.

Unfortunately, people joining threads tend to read the first and last few posts, ignoring the ones in the middle. By summarising the whole thread in one place, you can make it clear at a glance where the conversation has got to, what's been agreed and what's still being discussed.

This is a design flaw in the whole forum model, not a failing of anyone here. I plan to paste this comment into every relevant thread in the hopes we can work around the problem together :)

You want me to sum up 3 posts ??

i dont think this will be possible till they add in spl, (though they might if it was only for asteroids) though i have put in the ideas thread that i would like to see a mining machine vehicle once they do add spl, that you could drive out of your cargo hold to go off and scan the ground for minerals/metals, that you could then mine and take back to your ship!

Last edited:
maybe your augment is invalid.
'asteroids' are what a ship can break with a laser, only requiring a scoop.
more may need a planetoid. and a proper mining operation.

Think local.
The asteroid belt could be busted and mined by a simple ship with a simple laser and a scoop, but something like Ceres, 500 miles diameter, would need a mining operation.

quantify what the game provides. a planetoid is a rock the size of Ceres.

Automated Mining?

Been thinking about the mining part.

I am sure there will be the mining laser setup where you just mine away. Go offload the minerals and go back .... repeat.

But would it be so bad if we could place miningrigs(for lack of a better word) add some fuel, and then come back 24 hours later to pick up the minerals.

I used to love that in SWG ... you would scan for a good place to place the mines and then place them add some fuel and you were good to go.

The yield show be lower than ppl that actually sit there and mine otherwise it wouldnt make sense but a little passive income couldnt hurt.

FE2 had the MB4 mining rig which did just that. No reason why E: D wouldn't also have it, but with more depth.

For instance, it might be possible to loot other peoples rigs if you found them.

Also, you could have different rigs for mining different things from different environments:

Oil drills for land (expensive to buy and lower yield)
Oil rigs for water (higher yield but harder to land on)
Mineral mines for gold/silver/platinum/gemstones etc.
Cloud mines to place in the atmospheres of gas giants

Philip Coutts

Volunteer Moderator
Decent idea, I would think you could balance it out by making the rig reasonably expensive to buy or having different capacities so a small rig would be cheaper but need to be emptied more. Of course there would always be the risk of some bandit nicking both your minerals and rig especially if you left it alone for too long......

If this style of mining were to be supported, then it would only be fair to allow other players to steal your valuable ore ;)

If you were intending to go mining, then you would need to find a remote location without being followed and then place your mining rig. You could set it up so that if anyone attempted to steal the minerals then you would be informed via FTL message and you could return to defend your claim.

One cool thing would be to make it possible to set an auto destruct on your mining rig, maybe as an upgrade module. This would then require a code to disable it and if wrong code was entered...kaboom!

Of course to further expand it, the black-market / anarchy systems could offer a decryption module to disable the protection.

This would be an easy way to protect your mining rig from all but most determined thieves - of course it would not avoid its destruction but still...

Top Bottom