The Mining nerf was likely the worst implementation of a Balancing in Years...

OP, you have stated several times, in this thread, that you lack faith with FDev and lost hope.

So... what keeps you going then? Have you lost faith in FDev and lost hope, or is it the other way around? Your posts confuse me, and probably, most people.
I really thought the ‘hope’ box had been very thoroughly ticked when Odyssey was announced.

If someone had asked me last year if Elite Dangerous would ever see space legs I’d have probably laughed in their face!

OP you’re happy that mining is being toned down, that’s all I really needed to know.

I said I have lost Trust and Hope in ED actually Delivering something when they make Vague Announcements.
I never said I lost Hope in Elite Dangerous as a Game.
In Fact I pointed out several Times that I still like ED. Even if I dont Trust the Devs to hold True on most of their Announcements.

I made about 5 Bil over the couple of days before the Nerf.
After all. I wanted to get my Carrier before the Nerf so I dont have to Spend Weeks Grinding for it.

Imagine Weeks, for a 5 billion asset, the horror !

Deleted member 182079

D
OP, you have stated several times, in this thread, that you lack faith with FDev and lost hope.

So... what keeps you going then? Have you lost faith in FDev and lost hope, or is it the other way around? Your posts confuse me, and probably, most people.
What confuses me even more is the random capitalisation of words in his posts. Soon I'll be looking for secret messages in them!

What this "nerf" has managed to do is make it possible for people to make money anywhere, so they're not all forced into one singular system to make money.

Borann was a symptom of the same problem. So were the new-borann systems and the egg.

"If you want to make money you have to go here and specifically here, this spot in this ring in this system" in a game where a major part of its appeal is that the game has the better part of half a trillion systems to explore.

So players are no longer compelled to congregate around two or three must-have systems and clog them with carriers any more if they want to have any hope of owning a carrier.

How is this a bad thing?

I have no clue why they would nerf mining before implementing the other changes. Give before you take. It's a simple rule to follow in life.

I gave money to play the game... not the other way around.

Imagine Weeks, for a 5 billion asset, the horror !

That Depends what 5 Billions is Worth in a Game.
ED Economy was Terrible from the Start. With Price Increases between Tiers being Tenfold.
You go from 30k at the Start. To 300k, Then to 3 Million and 30 Million before Arriving at 300 Million. And now having the Next Tier of 5 Billion. I can already Feel how maybe at some Point in the Future we can get a Battleship for 50 Billion lol.....
Yet the Progression of Moneymaking is basicly. 10k to 1 Million to 100 Million where it just Stops.

And thanks to how FDEV handles Economy Changes. This went all over the place.
I needed longer for my first Type 7 than for my Carrier. But i got my Conda faster than my Type 7. yet still slower than my Carrier,
When Powerplay came out getting 10 Million from Rank there was Super much Money. Now its like Yeah who cares.

So whats 5 Bilion ?
Question is always Time Investment.
But right now if a Carrier is 2 Weeks of Grind. A Conda is like a Day.

So if we want to talk about how long you should Take for getting a Carrier. Then we really First need to Fix the messed up Value Tiers in this Game lol.

Pls note. This is not about Mining needing a Nerf.
Mining was Generating Money at insane Rates which needed Changing.

This is about how this Nerf is Handled.

Mining got Nerfed by over 60% Having Rates of about 100-150 Million per Hour. We now got 20-40 Million per Hour on Mining.
And thats still alot of Money.

And well. Thats exactly the Problem.
Other Methods of getting Money. Like Fighting Wars, Space Trucking, Missions, Bounty Hunting, Powerplay and Exploration.
Are still nowhere close to this.
Effectively the only way to make Money aside from Mining is some Exploitable Passenger Mission Stacking Locations.

So in Effect. Even tough Mining was effectively Nerfed so Hard that alot of People instantly threw their hands up in the Air and Quit.
The Truth is. That Mining is still the way to Earn Money.

Almost nothing has Changed in terms of which Activities People will carry out.
Exploration or Bounty Hunting is still something only done by those who dont really care about the Money from it.
Nobody will feel more Inclined now to do Bounty Hunting for Money instead of Mining.

So in the End ?
Well. Player Income has simply been Cut Down by 60-80% without any Notable Change to Balancing between the Activities.
So this Update has effectively Done absolutely nothing to Improve Balancing. And has effectively only Slashed Player Money and caused alot of Players to be Angry and Annoyed.

Why was none of the other Activities properly Balanced ?
Why was nothing done for Exploration, Bounty Hunting and Trade ?
No, Just take off plat, gold, and osmium off your ignore list. Do some mining missions. They sell for the same price or more as painite now, and your hold will fill up much quicker now. Mining Rates are still at 100-150m in Hyades Sector DB-X D1-112

No, Just take off plat, gold, and osmium off your ignore list. Do some mining missions. They sell for the same price or more as painite now, and your hold will fill up much quicker now. Mining Rates are still at 100-150m in Hyades Sector DB-X D1-112

I never Ignored Osmium, Platinum etc in the First Place.
Because with Carriers being Literally less than 1 Light Second Away from the Belt. It makes no Sense to waste Time just Flying for one Material when you can just Load up everything to your Carrier in like 2 minutes and return to Mining.

But I am doing a Double Painite Hotspot. So even if I Mine every Asteroid that contains, Gold, Palladium, Silver, Osmium, Platinum and Samarium. I will still end up with half my Cargo Rack being Painite.
And even with all the Price Increases for the other Stuff its just not enough to Balance out the Loss of the Painite Pricing.

Before I would be able to Sell Painite for 800k-1M now its mostly 400k at best. With 600k being absurdly rare and usually not capable of even Emptying the Carrier entirely as Demand runs out.
Which means I gained maybe 10-20 Million Additional Profits per Run from the Update on other Stuff than Painite. And I can do Runs Twice as Fast.
However. At the same time I lost 120-150 Million of Profits per Run from Painite.
So its a Buff of 40 Million Profits and a Nerf of 120 Million.

I never Ignored Osmium, Platinum etc in the First Place.
Because with Carriers being Literally less than 1 Light Second Away from the Belt. It makes no Sense to waste Time just Flying for one Material when you can just Load up everything to your Carrier in like 2 minutes and return to Mining.

But I am doing a Double Painite Hotspot. So even if I Mine every Asteroid that contains, Gold, Palladium, Silver, Osmium, Platinum and Samarium. I will still end up with half my Cargo Rack being Painite.
And even with all the Price Increases for the other Stuff its just not enough to Balance out the Loss of the Painite Pricing.

Again, you have no lost profits, only potential earnings.

Before I would be able to Sell Painite for 800k-1M now its mostly 400k at best. With 600k being absurdly rare and usually not capable of even Emptying the Carrier entirely as Demand runs out.
Which means I gained maybe 10-20 Million Additional Profits per Run from the Update on other Stuff than Painite. And I can do Runs Twice as Fast.
However. At the same time I lost 120-150 Million of Profits per Run from Painite.
So its a Buff of 40 Million Profits and a Nerf of 120 Million.

More lost potential earnings.. I don't suppose potential earnings sounds as good to complain about. And, frankly, oh boo hoo, here's a tissue. And since when was playing the game a 'grind'? Oh, wait, don't answer that, I've got it, it's grind because you hate it and hate yourself enough to force yourself to keep doing it. What are you going to use all the credits for?

Oh dear, they've modified prices to prevent earnings above a certain level. Some of you need to take the hint. Try exploring for maybe 80 million a week.. Trading for a couple of million an hour.. Mining, some things in particular, was over paying. I know some of you are going to say, "Why not just increase everything else?" and well, I'll ask again, what are you going to do with all the credits?

Now, most of this problem lies at the feet of FDev, who failed to promptly fix the pricing issues as they arose. Instead, they left it and it's left some players with expectations about mining's earning potential. Unrestrained capitalism isn't great and is how you end up with leaders like the Elite galaxy has - or Trump.

Last edited:
I made about 2 Billions from yesterday evening to today. So...it´s a matter of three days ;-)

Sorry. I got a Real Live you know. I cant Spend 10 Hours a Day in Elite.

Again, you have no lost profits, only potential earnings.

If you got no Arguments just dont Post.
Showing your Desperation by splitting hairs about possibly using a Word wrong is not exactly helping your Point....

Boo hoo. Nobody's holding a gun to your head and making you earn credits.
Showing your Desperation by splitting hairs about possibly using a Word wrong is not exactly helping your Point....
He's got plenty of arguments, you just chose not to address them. Pretending he didn't make them is being dishonest.

I get about 2-3 hours a session, and not even most days.. Your point? Oh, you were trying to imply that all I do is sit at my PC and play Elite all day. Good one. And yet you still didn't answer the questions in my post.

FDev have decided to reduce mining earnings. Fair enough, it's their call. Players have a choice if they don't like it.

I've just spent a couple of hours mining in a void opal/LTD hotspot (overlap). I got 157 LTD and 17 void opal, so that seems reasonable to me. I also got around 100 tritium. All the void opal came from a single core, it was the only one I found. However, I found lots of good LTD rocks (some over 30%) for laser mining.

I did try mining in just a void opal hotspot a few weeks ago, but that was a tedious experience - there simply aren't many cores even in a hotspot. Combining an LTD and void opal hotspot means I can mine LTDs while searching for those elusive cores...

Top Bottom