Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Helps if I read the entire post.

giphy.gif

SQ42 = Squadron 42. Not Star Citizen.

Getting more and more excited to try it out. Seems like a lot is done already. Some things that I've been waiting for to happen besides VR, 1) walking NPCs, 2) first person driving of vehicles. And this is done by 6 developers...

Getting more and more excited to try it out. Seems like a lot is done already. Some things that I've been waiting for to happen besides VR, 1) walking NPCs, 2) first person driving of vehicles. And this is done by 6 developers...
from the video on youtube for NMS Vr, it looks like they have made a virtual hotas, that you can grab, to control your ships.

from the video on youtube for NMS Vr, it looks like they have made a virtual hotas, that you can grab, to control your ships.
Yup. One of the articles mentioned this too. It's good and bad though with that, one is that you only use the touch/wands at all times, but then, flying for longer time, you might get tired. Nothing to rest on. We'll see.

Having played VTOL VR, the virtual HOTAS was surprisingly responsive - I just rested the bases of my Touch controllers on my thighs, it felt completely natural.

I like the sound of the left-wrist inventory system, should be less of a faff than the current one. Also, grabbing plants out of the ground, and grabbing aliens (who now walk around) to talk to them :)

“You, alien-fella, c’mere”

I could not see the video, but it seems to me that it shows the NPC's walking.

I watched part of the video. Mostly humans walking in some demo/expo, but.... yeah... there's some walking Vy'keens in one part in a station. Woot! Woot!

Most likely, I'll finish DW2 in Elite, then back to NMS for a while to continue building my castle. Have it ready for the drop.

I'm sorry to say, love Elite, but Frontier needs to seriously pick up the pace.

Last edited:
That's some really personal claims some people are making about Sean Murray. Do you guys know him or something?

Objectively, he lied for the purposes of creating excitement for the game before launch to increase sales. As a first world practice, this is commonly seen as poor form, even though you might not. You have you accept the some people will choose to hold to one standard, and that isn't white knighting.

Also, the follow through has been completely amazing.

Hello Games and Sean Murray have a reputation that is that is a combination of both of the above, nothing more or less. The game is pretty good. Its a little bit over the top hipster like so is best done in small doses, but apart from that can be pretty good. And the atonement for lieing has definitely made up for the lies. Just don't preorder would be the best lesson.

Does matter because either way it happened. If there was any more reputation damage and it wasn't his company.. you'd have words with the guy.
It's just that you clam to know his state of mind and his intents. One thing that he misstated things, but how would you know the intents?

It's just that you clam to know his state of mind and his intents. One thing that he misstated things, but how would you know the intents?

Well, he outright lied about features such as multiplayer, and because of the hype he has built he became a laughing stock and subject of intense hate at the same time.
To be honest, I didn't even give credit for him for the vast improvements simply on the general basis that 'don't release an unfinished overhyped game based on lies'.

But again, now I'm pretty much looking forward to play NMS VR whenever it releases, which tells volumes how far they have come IMHO - if someone told me last year that I will stop playing Elite and will look forward to NMS... unbelievable.

But again, now I'm pretty much looking forward to play NMS VR whenever it releases, which tells volumes how far they have come IMHO - if someone told me last year that I will stop playing Elite and will look forward to NMS... unbelievable.

I'm quite thankful I missed out on the initial NMS hype because of what happened, and to be honest, I would have been furious if I'd pre-ordered based on those promises. There was a little bit of relief because there were so many Elite detractors who where claiming that ED was dead because of NMS. I do respect Hello Games for not taking the cash and running. I did pick NMS up in a steam sale and I've enjoyed all the planet side exploration, base building and interacting with Aliens (although that is quite basic). It will be interesting to see how they handle VR Space legs because that is such an integral part to the whole NMS Experience

However, NMS is not going to replace ED for me (Even if they do get the VR legs spot on). The deal breaker is the space flight, it still feels so simplistic compared to ED, even though I do have my HOTAS working with NMS now.

So with VR support coming, from people who are familair with the game, is it likely the controls will be native VR controls, or instead that you'd still need to use keyboard and mouse?

My hope is that with the Oculus, you'd be using the Oculus Touch controllers alone!

Well, he outright lied about features such as multiplayer, and because of the hype he has built he became a laughing stock and subject of intense hate at the same time.
To be honest, I didn't even give credit for him for the vast improvements simply on the general basis that 'don't release an unfinished overhyped game based on lies'.
I agree on that he did overstate the features of what the game would contain at release, however, what his intents were and why he did the "lying" is a matter of reading someone's mind. It's only conjecture to say that his intents was to make money. It's just as likely that he "lied" because those things were under development and he hoped/assumed that they would be finished by the time of release (the "man-month" thinking is deceptive). To say that his intents was such-and-such is only subjective reasoning, and not objective truth... unless he actually have confessed that he lied for the reason of hyping up the game and make money, but I haven't seen or heard anything about that. I'm just curious. Is there objective evidence what his intents were?

Agree. I have a strong feeling (if Hello Games succeed and it's not being hyped up again) that I'll be spending more time in NMS second half of this year than in Elite.

So with VR support coming, from people who are familair with the game, is it likely the controls will be native VR controls, or instead that you'd still need to use keyboard and mouse?

My hope is that with the Oculus, you'd be using the Oculus Touch controllers alone!
There's a couple of hands-on articles out there atm, check pcgamer maybe? Sounds like touch controllers, and has both smooth movement and warp movement from what I read.

I've played that game a lot, but I don't know and am curious to know too. But it seems like the controllers can be used alone without kb/m. I want to know though if I still can use kb/m and/or controller still if I so want.

Top Bottom