Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Thank you - subsequently I did realise it was a name, but just imagine my perplexed face upon learning this word! I'll actually avoid following the link, as I'm quite enjoying the story as I go - but thank for the link. Cheers.

Many hours later...... still zero crashes................. sssssshhuuuuuuusssssh!

(...fingers still crossed...)

EDIT - many many hours later.... still no crashes...... zero....... over way more hours than would normally produce many crashes.... YAY!

'Bother'. Two crashes. Both the same. Both as before. :cry:

The only nuisance I encountered is when playing in 2D (was too hot here for VR headset) was game trying to switch control scheme to kb+m from xbox pad and "strobing" control options (displaying E instead of xbox X rapidly) which was seriously tanking my framerate. Re-running the game fixes is until it rears its ugly head again. No crashes so far (I'm back to "stable" version btw).

Just to change the mood - I'm having great fun building my base - so much so that I've abandoned following quests for a while.

It's a work in progress, and I suspect I'll need to do a bit of rework in time - but so far it's great watching it take shape. I just need a whole load more fixtures and fittings. And some way to hide those flipping power cables - they really jar.

...and a nice rug, to really tie the room together...

Last edited:
A note about the crashes and problems running on PC, it's not just NMS that's causing problems, but Steam and Windows as well. Having some issue of screen turning black for 10 seconds before game starts, and it happens when I start computer as well, and it wasn't like that two days ago. Found out that there are a lot of bugs in Microsoft's patches for Windows at the moment. Bluetooth stop working for some, and runaway processes taking 50% of the CPU. Just wanted to make a point that it might not always be NMS and HG to blame for some crashes and issues at the moment.

A note about the crashes and problems running on PC, it's not just NMS that's causing problems....

That's a very fair point, and the number of crashes has decreased notably, so, heaven knows what's really going on. It must be a nightmare for developers.

Oh well, back to searching for rugs.....

That's a very fair point, and the number of crashes has decreased notably, so, heaven knows what's really going on. It must be a nightmare for developers.
Yeah. And to add stress to it even more, several times I got something working in my software, only to discover that it broke a few months later because Microsoft "fixed" a supposed bug (or unintended feature) in their API.

Oh well, back to searching for rugs.....
I only know of one rug in NMS, but there's something wrong with it. Placed it in my freighter, but when I walk over it, it like a platform. Weird.

Sorry... had to delete... it was a scene from The Big Lebowski regarding 'the rug'. I'd forgotten how very sweary it is...

Last edited:
And some way to hide those flipping power cables - they really jar.

It's like anything in NMS - it just takes a bit of management and planning.

You only need one cable going to your base from your power grid, which can be a distance away if you like. Set up as many solar panels and batteries that you need, in close proximity to one another, make sure there's a path that connects them all together in some way, then run a single line out to your base. Storage containers can daisy chain to each other, so again, just needs a single line from the grid. You can also connect your base to them instead if it looks nicer.

That way, the only place where you have ugly cable spaghetti is at your power grid, which is an industrial area anyway and hence doesn't "need" to look pretty. 🤷‍♀️

Just a suggestion.

Since I'm so late to base building, I think the Beyond release must have taken all the pain out of power generation. Here's my base, with heaps of gear inside (including the 4 terminals and their crew) and all it needed was 1 Hotspot Generator and 1 wire. I only made a second for the cool factor... love those EM animations. So my base has no fuel, no batteries, no switches, no solar panels. Set and forget.

Oh, and I finally made the 5 Exocraft. Nomad shown below on it's own little pad.

Source: https://imgur.com/gallery/O6achBE

Commander PiLhEaD's base (so far) - I have fresh squeezed orange juice and avocado toast for visitors.

wzb5xwE.png

asv6CvK.png

...I just need the recipe for auto-sentries.....

Last edited:
No Man's Sky was never my cup of tea, graphics, etc. However, now I can't take my hands off it for 4 straight days.

Have a couple of issues though:

1) Constructed a base with custom parts, like concrete, metal, etc. Can't attach anything to walls inside, nothing, no trade terminal, etc. Does anyone knows why?

2) Can't pass that kill 8 sentinels mission in Armourer mission chain. Can get first 2, then 2 + droid but when the largest one appears they get me every time. Shields go down way to fast, no matter how I jump try to evade. If I go somewhere underground/base - counter resets.

Does anyone knows how to get pass that?

Last edited:
No Man's Sky was never my cup of tea, graphics, etc. However, now I can't take my hands off it for 4 straight days.

Have a couple of issues though:

1) Constructed a base with custom parts, like concrete, metal, etc. Can't attach anything to walls inside, nothing, no trade terminal, etc. Does anyone knows why?
NMS is very confusing with the building parts. Some parts work together and some don't. The easiest way to get trade terminal and bunch of other things is to do it in the big round or square one-piece buildings. However, some things work in some parts and others don't. It's a trial and error. The basic building parts probably won't allow terminals and other powered parts. For instance, relating to your question below, I tried to place a healing station outside a wood structure and it wouldn't let me.

2) Can't pass that kill 8 sentinels mission in Armourer mission chain. Can get first 2, then 2 + droid but when the largest one appears they get me every time. Shields go down way to fast, no matter how I jump try to evade. If I go somewhere underground/base - counter resets.
Yup. It's a bit hard if you do it early on. It's easier if you have upgraded shields and upgrade bolt-caster. It seems like they nerfed the weapons a tiny bit since previous version. It used to be easier to kill the quads, and the walkers seem to be smarter as well.

Does anyone knows how to get pass that?
I passed it in earlier releases, and I have a bit of hard time myself in this version, so I'm leaving it for now until I got an S-class unitool and all upgraded bolts.

I passed it in earlier releases, and I have a bit of hard time myself in this version, so I'm leaving it for now until I got an S-class unitool and all upgraded bolts.

Well, I'll stop trying. I'm on survival mode, died at least 5 times to this, it's a pain to restore a few modules for every 'try' so I don't know.

Base building is really something in NMS, quite similar to Subnautica. It connects you to this multicolored, cartoony world, makes it quite special. I've created my main base on a world with some crazy rains and then despite I created few little outposts on other planets I keep returning to this one... It's something that is completely missing in ED, for instance - I do think similar base building would be inappropriate in ED anyway, but more ways to create something truly yours are greatly needed. A nameplate on your ship is not quite enough.

Top Bottom