The Old Elite IV speculation thread

Votes: 36 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bounder said:
... I'd like to see something more like Celestia or Noctis, where you can literally choose a star in the sky and fly to it...

I absolutely agree! That would be awesome! :D Surely it wouldn't be too hard to implement too...

Elite 4 Does Not Need To Be A Multiplayer Game!

ELITE DOES NOT NEED TO BE A MULTIPLAYER GAME!
i know that i would certainly LIKE it to be..
but as i talk to the inhabitants of my fair city (omaha,nebraska)
i find i do NOT want to have to deal with the public in any sense
while im trying to immerse myself in the Elite universe...
i CAN think of ways this can be an "online" game and still not be
multiplayer....
plus boost the life of the game...AND make it last alot longer
(although technically someone out there could still be playing elite
and still not have visited every planet :> )

u want my secret?
look at what Frontier is doing w/ "thrillville"
if you build it (you being...you) they (being everyone else) will come.

basic scripting...mission creation. maybe even setting up outposts
using credits you have earned....

DB has said there would be more than one release. a single and multiplayer.
the economics of a mmpog are much more favorable if the interest in the game (and the game itself of course) is good.

i am all for buying DB another farrari.
i am a capitalist pig! (buy low sell high baby!)

but i just do not want to not have to listen to someone complaining in game about how i scooped up the thargon even though they killed the thargoid!

~m

My Comment

Hi,
sorry, i dont read all in this thread, but i want to say, that Elite and Frontier are my games no.1 for all time.

I wait for E4 since 1993 and hope it will be a fine game. David Braben and also Ian Bell are my Heros :D . (No, i am not gay :p ).

I played the original Elite on a Amstrad CPC 464 and on a C64. Also a later Version on my Atari ST. Each for a long time. Later Frontier was my favourite game on Atari ST. I've tested the games also on PC, but in my oppinion, the original version on the other systems are much better.

If you find mistakes in my text, sorry, my english is not perfect.

Last edited:
gosh i thought for sure everyone would jump on my back for suggesting this blasphemous idea.
i really am stuck on the future being more "massive" and less "multiplayer" in the sense that people interact w/ each others ideas and art and concepts..
and less w/ other players abuse, rudeness and body odor (ok that last one was thrown in for comedic effect....
~m

Agree, Singleplayer is fine by me.

A multiplayer version would be too complex and take many, many years to develop. I don't want to wait forever!

EVE shows how hard it would be I think. If Elite IV was multi-player it would require even greater functionality then EVE. EVE has been running for what, 7 years??, and its still being developed. And remember, as impressive as EVE is, its still only a turn based game with a very pretty front end.

Cheers!
Hudson

Hudson said:
EVE has been running for what, 7 years??, and its still being developed. And remember, as impressive as EVE is, its still only a turn based game with a very pretty front end.
actually since 2003, and no, it's not turn based at all...do you actually play eve-online? i have since day 1 and was involved in the beta for 6 months before hand..... the problem eve has at the moment is server stability and how lag affects fleet battles..... which, if elite 4 was to implement combat like elite frontier/first encounters would increase lag a hell of a lot, it would almost be impossible for large fleet style battles as the servers would have to work out the newtonian physics and what not....very difficult.
Also theres huge depth to the game with PLAYERS who run the economy and many of the regions....eve is rather difficult to get into, more so than when i started( i started playing within the first week of release, so i was more or less on an even keel with every other player ), but after the first few weeks, with a little in game help, you definately get rewarded........

Last edited:
yes...as i have said in another thread..
i would play eve online..
if i could find a college course that could teach me how
my honest opinion is that it is way too involved and complicated
to just jump into..

~m

Yep. Single player only for me also. I quit UO after 5, or was it 6, years of playing. I promised myself then that I'd never play another game that needed a monthly subscription. A promise to myself that I intend to keep.

Stargazer said:
Yep. Single player only for me also. I quit UO after 5, or was it 6, years of playing. I promised myself then that I'd never play another game that needed a monthly subscription. A promise to myself that I intend to keep.

I have never, and would never, play a game that need a subscription att all. I love the whole Elite series. But if i have to pay every month for Elite4 I never going to play it.

zmurf said:
I have never, and would never, play a game that need a subscription att all. I love the whole Elite series. But if i have to pay every month for Elite4 I never going to play it.

Mmmmm but would you pay for say...an expansion pack?

Jammy said:
Mmmmm but would you pay for say...an expansion pack?

maybe. It depends on how big the expansion pack is, what it do, and how much it cost.

I did buy the expansion back for Worms1 to my Amiga. But that was almost like a Worms2 konverter...

The point is that I dont want to HAVE to pay to play the game... it should be my own choice if i want to upgrade the game or not.

Vlodec

Banned
Mr

C'mon David, throw us a line here. Some of us played the original Elite on the old BBC machine. Then we played Frontier on our spanking new PCs. Since then we've waited a long time for Elite 4. There have been many imitations, though none have come upto scratch. So......give us an idea when, if ever, you expect it to be released.

:confused:

I usually play the Amiga version of Frontier in UAE on my PC, and sometimes I start the origenal Elite.

I never really played First Encounter, since I only used Amiga until -99, and then went stright to Mac.

Hopefully Elite4 will be able to other platforms then just Windows... or I will have to buy a PC. :/

wait a sec! i think this is being misunderstood!
i want the game to be massively online....
but just not multiplayer...

let me explain again...

i dont want to have to deal w/ other players in other ships.
i dont want to be waiting for a s**** to pop so that i can
have someone w/ an uber (ie hacked) ship to swoop in at
2000g acceleration cutting a 90degree angle and warping out
before someone can even see them....

i want a game that is dynamic with user created content..
missions setup using scripting and submitted to DB and
a small (elite lol) cadre of developers that can analyse if the
scripts would be disruptive to game play or not..

the economics of Mmpog's are much more profitable than just a straight release of a single player game...

lets think of a way to change this dynamic.
im starting another thread...
the question is....what would you pay per month for the privlege
of creating content?
should the game explore corportate sponsership + user created content?

I KNOW there is a way of doing it!

~m

waitingfordavid said:
the question is....what would you pay per month for the privlege
of creating content?
should the game explore corportate sponsership + user created content?
~m

Nowt. I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee. At all. I've got enough outgoings each month as it is. I'm also not interested in "episodic" content. An expansion pack or two are a different kettle of fish though, if done right.
By "corporate sponsorship" I assume you mean ingame ads. That's a big no no to me also. Fictional ads by fictional companys would be sort of ok. But then, wasn't that already done in the original X:BTF ? iirc.

I agree with Stargazer. Im not interested if I have to pay a monthly fee. It can be how much multiplayer or net dependend as anyone whise, as long I dont have to pay anything.

What i would like is single player game with the ability to have a "starsystem creator" so that anyone can install a server and create a starsystem that anyone can fly to if they like to play it as a multiplayer game. In that way you whould be able to both play it as a singleplayer with starssystem created by a AI in the game, and if you are connected you also se everybody elses "homemade" starsystems that you can fly to and communicate/trade/kill other online players in.
Then the only thing Frontier would have to setup is a server that knows what starsystems there are and witch of them that are online (I little like the ICQ server.).

Jammy said:
actually since 2003, and no, it's not turn based at all...do you actually play eve-online? i have since day 1 and was involved in the beta for 6 months before hand..... the problem eve has at the moment is server stability and how lag affects fleet battles..... which, if elite 4 was to implement combat like elite frontier/first encounters would increase lag a hell of a lot, it would almost be impossible for large fleet style battles as the servers would have to work out the newtonian physics and what not....very difficult.
Also theres huge depth to the game with PLAYERS who run the economy and many of the regions....eve is rather difficult to get into, more so than when i started( i started playing within the first week of release, so i was more or less on an even keel with every other player ), but after the first few weeks, with a little in game help, you definately get rewarded........

EVE may have come online in 2003 but its been in development for much longer than that. I think I first read about it in 1999.

Yes, I play it and still say its turn based, its certainly not real-time is it. Once in a battle your weapons fire at certain rates, and you can't really fly your ship. Perhaps saying its turn based is a simplification.

I agree with your comments about lag and cite that as one of the reasons why you couldn't make a world wide MMORPG elite style game featuring real-time control. Which is what it requires! Therefore Single player is the only way I can see it happening.

H

I'm playing Eve-Online for now 2 years and I think that Elite4 as a MMORPG, wouldn't be able to compete. The guys at CCP made a huge work, they had to go through 3 years of patch/dev/network changes to bring us an elite-like game where 30.000 players are playing together.

On the other hand, Eve's universe is quite empty, I never had the feeling to travel in a "living" universe like it was on former Elite. Planets are all quite the same, you don't know if they are populated or not, what kind of people live there, you can't land on planets. When I played Freelancer, even if the game wasn't so great, I liked very much the fact that you were seeing others (player controlled) ships initiating docking sequences, chatting with the local station, you were able to dock on battleships and deal inside... Eve is not like this. I prefer a high quality with huge content Elite 4 rather than an empty MMORPG.

The best deal for me is simple :

1/ Allow players to host the game via dedicated servers (player amount limited by the server's ressources)
2/ Allow efficient modding of the game (new ship, weapon creation....)

and I bet the online part of the game will then be a success because lots of game owners around the World will try to create their own elite universe, add stuff in it and bring more people to play the game.

Stargazer said:
Nowt. I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee. At all. I've got enough outgoings each month as it is. I'm also not interested in "episodic" content. An expansion pack or two are a different kettle of fish though, if done right.
By "corporate sponsorship" I assume you mean ingame ads. That's a big no no to me also. Fictional ads by fictional companys would be sort of ok. But then, wasn't that already done in the original X:BTF ? iirc.

I have to say that I agree with everything Stargazer has just said...

Top Bottom